Shotput Help

I know a lot of throwers frequent these boards so that is why I am asking this question here.

How do you get the legs involved in the shot put to add distance to your throw?

The triple extension (hip, knee, and ankle) only adds height to my throw (it puts the weight up like a clean or a snatch) Is this right? Does the horizontal component of the force only come from the glide step and the punch of the arm?

Please help.

How low are you when you hit your power position? I find that my athletes always think they are at the lowest point…they never are. If you have a video camcorder tape yourself, reassure yourself that you are gliding low and staying low. A drill that you can do is put a bungee cord across the middle of the circle and glide under it. You will know right away if you are low or not.

Also Height on the shot is not a bad thing, unless it is being created by the angle of release. Remember this should be between 45-50 degrees, and get out of over the tow board when you release.

Lastly the horizontal force is being supplied by the glide and arm velocity, however if you are not transferring it to the shot, you might have a blocking issue. Do some drills with no reverse, really turn your back foot first then block with the hips.

Clean, Squat and deadlifts will really help you utilize driving your hips.

“The triple extension (hip, knee, and ankle) only adds height to my throw (it puts the weight up like a clean or a snatch) Is this right? Does the horizontal component of the force only come from the glide step and the punch of the arm?”

No.

To understand how the legs work in the power position, you have to understand the “triple extension” does not have to occur in the vertical direction.

Your legs apply both horizontal and vertical force to the ground accelerating your body. The blocking action of the left side helps transfer momentum to the shotput ( p = mv ).

In a nutshell… the best way to learn this is BY DOING IT. Do you have a coach? It is best to learn from a coach else you ingrain bad habits.

The best way to learn the leg action of the throws is to take many, many, standing throws, mostly with no reverse.
If you are unexperienced it is best done under the watchful eye of a coach to prevent ingraining bad habits.

There are some great shot put videos on youtube as well as macthrowvideo, its worth looking at. Among others, theres a GREAT clip of Timmerman filmed from the back of the circle. Also Mike Carter is good to watch.