Shot Put for DE?

Do you think a 12# shot put is fine as explosive work before bench?

What volume would you suggest…10-20 throws per arm?

There is NO “upper/lower” dynamic work. Ever. Anyone who thinks that is doing it wrong.

Overhead backward throws. Overhead forward throws.

NO i hear you, but I focus on different things before different lifts I ALWAYS use lots of body english on throws to get in core and low back, hips and its impossible to throw a shot without it.

On squats or pulls I usually do some sort of med ball slam or backwards throw and a jump… maybe a power clean

upper is usually a chest pass or plyo push ups…maybe a couple push jerks

I just thought some standing throws to try to PR some distance would be fun to include in dynamic work. I guess I am overthinking it… but I was more wondering about volume. !0 throws twice a week trying to PR distance would probably be fine, before i add in some other dynamic work before the lift

Throwing is always good, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, other than the fact that you will be much better with 1 arm than the other which is why two handed throws are usually used

10 throws is fine for out of shape, beginner. I’d do a bit more.

Alright, thank you. I am mainly doing the put to add a bit of a challenge to explosive work and to improve my right cross, left hook

[quote]Wanabsedated wrote:
Alright, thank you. I am mainly doing the put to add a bit of a challenge to explosive work and to improve my right cross, left hook[/quote]

There’s really no sport specific exercise. Practice your sport to improve in your sport. Improving in the gym can help your performance at your sport, but at the end of the day success in your sport comes down to how good you are at your sport’s fundamentals.

I understand the basics of that but the action of throwing a shot is really similar to throwing a punch the release of energy and all. Plus as I said it would be fun to PR distances.

[quote]Wanabsedated wrote:
I understand the basics of that but the action of throwing a shot is really similar to throwing a punch the release of energy and all. Plus as I said it would be fun to PR distances.[/quote]

By that rationale, if you run around karate chopping stuff you’ll be able to chuck a football like Uncle Rico.

If you want to work on specific punches, drill those punches. If you want to throw shot, throw shot. Not saying there wouldwon’t be any carryover, but you gotta practice what you play.