T Nation

Shot Put and Discus

Im not sure if any you did shot put or discus when you guys where in high school, but i know shot put is about 50% and 50% technique, as discus is about 30% strength and 70% technique, I was curious to know if any of you all could suggest some exercises that could help me improve my shot put and disc throws.

One of the writers for this site is Dan John. Check out his web site, danjohn.org. He is a thrower and has a lot of discus training information.

Fred

Thanks for that info.

[quote]StreaksEnd wrote:
Im not sure if any you did shot put or discus when you guys where in high school, but i know shot put is about 50% and 50% technique, as discus is about 30% strength and 70% technique, I was curious to know if any of you all could suggest some exercises that could help me improve my shot put and disc throws.[/quote]

a few questions first

1. have you done weight training before
  2. how old r u?
  3. do you have a coach for technique

First Comment: Change you’re Avatar. Jeez.

Hey man I threw in college and I currently coach college track. At the risk of saying things that are too general or generic, I have a few tips.
Watch elite throwers videos, there are a wealth of them online.
Eat like a monster, since you are still in high school let your body grow before you start trying to set a new dead lift world record. Too many young throwers get crazy with the weights and never really see their efforts transferred into the ring because they are overtrained and do not have enough explosion to throw.

Focus on solid form and work on strength. Don’t get frustrated with huge weight numbers, just keep lifting and it will come. I know that may not be popular with everyone on this sight. Get the form solid then build huge amounts of muscle around it, and you will be better off in the long run.