T Nation

Short Twice a Day Workouts?

I do a fairly physical job, and I’ve noticed that my arms are really dead at the end of a day, so doing upper body work is a chore to say the least, and I rarely feel like I can give my all. The lower body does not seem affected, probably because the lower body is more resistant to fatigue in general.

Because of this, would I still make gains if I, for example did a some sets of weighted pull ups before work - then, after work, did squats.

(The reason I would want to do squats after work is that it’s apparently safer to do them then when your back is not as stiff as it is in the morning).

On another day, it could be bench press in the morning, and deadlift in the evening…etc…

Would a routine like this work and give hypertrophy gains?

[quote]alternate wrote:
I do a fairly physical job, and I’ve noticed that my arms are really dead at the end of a day, so doing upper body work is a chore to say the least, and I rarely feel like I can give my all. The lower body does not seem affected, probably because the lower body is more resistant to fatigue in general.

Because of this, would I still make gains if I, for example did a some sets of weighted pull ups before work - then, after work, did squats.

(The reason I would want to do squats after work is that it’s apparently safer to do them then when your back is not as stiff as it is in the morning).

On another day, it could be bench press in the morning, and deadlift in the evening…etc…

Would a routine like this work and give hypertrophy gains?[/quote]

Dunno about your specific idea, but the concept in general is okay. I’ve done stuff like that before. I just wouldn’t do legs 5x a week like this.