T Nation

Short, Frequent Workouts on T-Nation?

I'm at college and I've hit a rut where post-midterms have made me so busy that I don't workout because I know I don't have an hour to spare...more like an hour and a half as it takes 10+ min just to get to/from the gym. I just don't have that much time...but I always have a free hour or so a day, so I wouldn't mind going to the gym 6 days a week if it meant total travel time (leaving my dorm to getting back) <1 hr.

So are there any workouts that are high frequency, short duration? Or simply even short-duration workouts?

Thanks.

I find myself in the same situation quite often, and I've found EDT to be fantastic for this.

In your situation, I would devise 5 EDT based sessions, with some maximal strength stuff thrown in. I'd probably do 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off - repeat.

e.g. day 1

strength-based movement
Squat 10sets3reps

EDT (15mins)
Bench x rows

day 2

strength-based movement
weighted chins (6sets4reps)

EDT (15mins)
Ham curls x calf raises

You get the idea. I'm usually in and out of the gym in 30/40mins with this, and as such can maintain a higher frequency than with longer workouts.

I hope this gave you some ideas...

Dave

Yup, EDT is really a time saver. You could simply set a 15-min PR zone and you're done in 15 minutes. Just make sure to use the most compound exercises to get the most of it.

Below are some 15 minute workouts I tried once for EDT.

Day 1:
Squats/Pullups

Day 2:
Deadlifts/Dips

If you can spare 30 minutes and your body can take it, do both on the same day.

An hour a day six a week is short and infrequent?

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Voila.

Don't you know Arnold trained 4 hours a day six days a week? How is he supposed to get big and ripped if he only has 6 hours a week? :wink: