Short Dudes

So heres the thing…

I read a lot of these forums and sometimes people really deserve to get flamed if they mention some lame unrealistic shit. Like one dude who said he was 5’6’ 155 and deadlifted like 415. Shit. Pure shit. I can say this as a dude who is 5’5’ 160+ and who is ( I beleive anyway.) reasonably stocky and strong for my size. I can’t dead 415. Same dude referenced he could bench like 3 something. I am not saying it’s impossible, but in the same post he was asking some nutrition questions that seemed noob esk…

Now with that said, I have also seen the comments people make to the unrealistic jerks. SOme of which mildly offend me. As in, quit reading at 155 etc. etc. The a-holes deserve it if they are being cocky or unrealistic but it almost makes me, a dude who is realistic, and attempting to learn, a little bashful to post. See, i know i am a tiny dude, but my lifting and fitness is no less important to me than a dude who is 6’3 280…

So thats my question to you kind folks. Is someone’s goals who is of lesser height less important than a tall lifters? Should someone short like myself not pursue their fitness goal? By all means lets flame jerks, but lets not flame them for their size, lets flame them for being completely uknowledgeable or off base with their comments or attitudes…

Let the discussion ensue…

[quote]superman_6_0_6 wrote:
So heres the thing…

I read a lot of these forums and sometimes people really deserve to get flamed if they mention some lame unrealistic shit. Like one dude who said he was 5’6’ 155 and deadlifted like 415. Shit. Pure shit. I can say this as a dude who is 5’5’ 160+ and who is ( I beleive anyway.) reasonably stocky and strong for my size. I can’t dead 415. Same dude referenced he could bench like 3 something. I am not saying it’s impossible, but in the same post he was asking some nutrition questions that seemed noob esk…

Now with that said, I have also seen the comments people make to the unrealistic jerks. SOme of which mildly offend me. As in, quit reading at 155 etc. etc. The a-holes deserve it if they are being cocky or unrealistic but it almost makes me, a dude who is realistic, and attempting to learn, a little bashful to post. See, i know i am a tiny dude, but my lifting and fitness is no less important to me than a dude who is 6’3 280…

So thats my question to you kind folks. Is someone’s goals who is of lesser height less important than a tall lifters? Should someone short like myself not pursue their fitness goal? By all means lets flame jerks, but lets not flame them for their size, lets flame them for being completely uknowledgeable or off base with their comments or attitudes…

Let the discussion ensue…[/quote]

I skimmed your post, but I gave 30 percent effort while I was skimming.

Here’s what I got to say:

F$%$ tall people.

Short people are cool.

Thank you.

You’re crazy if you think a 415 deadlift for someone of that stature is unrealistic.
Lifts like squatting and deadlifting are largely influenced by limb length and levers. You don’t know if he exclusively trained to pull a lot of weight.

At 5’7 160 I deadlifted 405 for a few reps. A few years ago when I was training strictly for strength I bench pressed 300 at around the same weight, I’m not totally sure what I weighed than. Its nowhere near impossible to do what that guy said he did.

“Is someone’s goals who is of lesser height less important than a tall lifters? Should someone short like myself not pursue their fitness goal?”

Do you realize how rediculous that sounds? If you even have to question that sort of thing you’ll never reach your potential. Lee Preist was like 5’4 or something…

how do you know he didnt pull those numbers? people need to be less concerned about what others do/say and just put there head down and go…happens at my gym all the time…on another note im sick of short people having too try and act tough because they have issues about there height

Your post screams insecurities, with that attitude you will never reach your goals.

I’m 5’7 and I my max deadlift is 405. I know 3 other guys my height than can do as much and more. We are not serious powerlifters. So ya, that is a pretty low number to be calling impossible.

And physique-wise, being short is a huge advantage. At about 170 you can start to look pretty buff. It takes a lot less food than a 6’1 guy trying to get to 220.

Bone, i acknowledge i might have gone a bit overboard saying that it was unrealistic i was just trying to make a point. I dead a little over 3 so it’s not outta sight…

jtg, i agree shut up and lift is more important. I was just sick of people saying oh, he weighs 150 dump the thread. F it he’s not a serious lifter…My point was if someone is being dumb so be it, but don’t dump it cause they are light…

Shizen, I agree i have insecurities. It’s really weird its this thing…
However, i will say that partially my insecurities are what drive me. Knowing that i have to compete a bit harder than some who have natural gifts motivates me… A chip on the shoulder if you will.

And to all, i was just throwin’ this around for conversation. And yes priest is unbelievable cool and a great example of a short bodybuilder and there were others danny padilla i beleive was another…

I don’t see what you are complaining about. Lifting is lifting. Training is training.
I’m 5’6" and hope to deadlift 600 soon.

Hell, I think Ed Coan is only 5’6". Are people doubting his lifts? Do people question the importance of his training?

I really don’t see much of what you are talking about. Sure I see a lot of people with very low bodyweights getting flamed for trying to give stupid advice or asking how to lower their bodyfat etc, but I don’t remember many people, if any, getting flamed for being short.

I’m 5’11". I’ll just slink away now.

heheheheheh

I was 125 lbs in high school when I could bench 250 (at only 5’ 5" tall). Fuck genetics, fuck what others say isn’t possible. Sheer will, focus and determination will get you far.

Im about 5’8, 160 lbs, and 16 years old. I dont consider myself tall or big. My best deadlift was 385 x 4, and my best squat was a 365 double. my bench isnt strong but i neglect it. I throw shot put and i usually throw further than the people who are taller and bigger than me. i just work really hard.

Now granted im a high schooler and i dont know how much advice i should be giving you. i would say keep working your hardest. why does it really matter how much you lift? just keep getting bigger and stronger. what matters most is what YOU do, not what others are doing. theres always going to be someone taller/stronger/better than you. you just need to try to be the best you can be with what youre given.

I think the point i was trying to make was more about flaming folks for weights than height. It just usually goes together…

But lively discussion none the less…

[quote]superman_6_0_6 wrote:
I think the point i was trying to make was more about flaming folks for weights than height. It just usually goes together…

But lively discussion none the less…[/quote]

For over half a century now, shorter bodybuilders have been seen as being at an advantage. It takes less overall muscle mass for them to look huge than someone much taller. Their arms and legs are usually short enough to give an advantage when lifting. Somehow, you have managed to turn all of this into a negative.

WHO HERE IS DEGRADING SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR HEIGHT?

Can you even name one instance where this happened where it wasn’t a blatant joke? If not, then what the fuck was this thread for?

Yes, people are flamed for being underdeveloped yet giving advice about getting big…especially when that advice is wrong and points to the fact that they have no personal experience at all to pull from and are just quoting (or misquoting) what they’ve read somewhere.

They SHOULD be flamed for that shit.

The only time shorter bodybuilders are really at a true disadvantage is when standing next to someone much taller who is also equally well developed (which means the taller guy is carrying MUCH more lean body mass).

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Can you even name one instance where this happened where it wasn’t a blatant joke?[/quote]

Well there’s our resident Nazi [Nominal Prospect], but I suppose even if he doesn’t realise it everything he posts is still a joke.

[quote]
The only time shorter bodybuilders are really at a true disadvantage is when standing next to someone much taller who is also equally well developed (which means the taller guy is carrying MUCH more lean body mass).[/quote]

The funny thing about this I’ve noticed is often if the taller bodybuilder is less developed the shorter one will still feel smaller [being smaller in stature, absolute weight etc], and so will the taller guy, who will be more aware of the pounds per inch. I don’t know if the rest of you are like this but most people I’ve seen suffer from a severe case of the grass is greener on this topic, myself included.

X beat me to it, but being short is great.

I’ll look huge at 200lbs, 5’6. The same cannot be said for a guy 5’11.

5’6" here . 185 lbs…up from 167(and flabbier than now) about 2 years ago . not awesome results , but I’m o.k. with it .

cool as hell when someone whose 2 or 3 inches taller than me with a pertruding gut mentions that he weighs about what I weigh ; but I dont have the “skinny-fat” look , otherwise known as the “first trimester” look.