T Nation

Shooting the Koran - Good or Bad?

What do you guys think?

They just better not try to hang a Koran in a noose!

I’d rather they shot the bad guys instead of a book.

Bad.

i wouldn’t like anyone shooting my bible.i can see their point

[quote]toejam wrote:
i wouldn’t like anyone shooting my bible.i can see their point[/quote]

I’m certain that Holy Books are regularly desecrated across the globe. Most people don’t really care. It is when said desecration is performed by a representative of an invading power that big trouble will ensue.

Why would it be good to destroy a Koran? Why would showing a petty and juvenile level of disrespect for a holy book be good? Does anyone have any concept of what being a responsible adult means, or has everyone reverted to the level of behavior I would expect out of a 13 year old kid?

[quote]dk44 wrote:
They just better not try to hang a Koran in a noose! [/quote]

What he said, it’s hilarious!!

Good. It’s an expression of First Amendment rights.

Just in case some of you missed the story…

US sniper shot at Koran in Iraq

[i]An American sniper was been sent home from Iraq for using a copy of the Koran for target practice at a shooting range near Baghdad, the US military says.

The Muslim holy book was found riddled with bullet holes last week by Iraqi police, who also discovered offensive graffiti inside its cover. [/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7407187.stm

With regard for the youtube video: If it was an attempt to make orthodox Muslims angry, it probably didn’t work (notice I said orthodox, it makes a difference). The Qur’an is only the Qur’an if it is in Arabic. Anything else is slated a “commentary”. The cover indicated it was in English. But hey, I’m for our right to bear arms, fire away. Like Nuge says, “You can’t grill it till you kill it!”

As far as the soldiers go, it was highly offensive as the Qur’an was likely in Arabic. May sound weird but it makes a huge difference to orthodox Muslims.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Just in case some of you missed the story…

US sniper shot at Koran in Iraq

[i]An American sniper was been sent home from Iraq for using a copy of the Koran for target practice at a shooting range near Baghdad, the US military says.

The Muslim holy book was found riddled with bullet holes last week by Iraqi police, who also discovered offensive graffiti inside its cover. [/i]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7407187.stm[/quote]

Wouldn’t you then favor all of our troops shooting a Q’uran? They’d all be sent home and you guys could have your paradise back. Sounds like a plan to me.

Seriously though, we have to understand the frustrations when soldier are not allowed to win. Instead of watching your friends die/be maimed by bombs made in Iran, and not being allowed to crush the Iraqi scum, they have to be ‘nice’. So, they’re frustrated.

I support their right to do it, but I would not do it myself.

I feel your frustration and have in no way any frame of reference to truely understand what is happening on site. To have to work through stuff like that is mind bending. I was just pointing out when and in what situations the shooting of the Qur’an would be highly offensive. That being said, I prefer a shooting of the Qur’an over unarmed people in a village. That would be worse in my mind.

There’s no reaction when a Bible is burned, so let’s al whipe our asses with the Surahs and shoot all Korans.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
What do you guys think?[/quote]

Revengeful psychology of a man put in a situation where there’s no victory. I don’t support it, but I understand it.

[quote]Apeiron wrote:
There’s no reaction when a Bible is burned, so let’s al whipe our asses with the Surahs and shoot all Korans.[/quote]

Are you stupid?

Imagine that the Chinese decide to invade the US. They obliterate the land, kill thousands upon thousands of Americans, transforming the country into total chaos and a criminal and terrorist haven. They dissolve everything that represents the state and install a bunch of Americans they like in power. Their rationale for attacking the country turns out to be a blatant lie, and regardless, they continue to occupy the US under the guise of restoring security. Chinese corporations are awarded multi-billion dollars contracts to dig up American natural resources, and the Chinese nationals working there get full immunity because they can’t be prosecuted in American courts nor in Chinese martial courts.

Five years into the invasion and as the country is bled to death, some Chinese takes up the Bible (or the US constitution, or whatever writings you have respect for) and uses it for target practice. I can promise you that even the most secular person will be outraged by that. As for the “Christian right”, it’ll go batshit crazy over it.

I can’t begin to explain the resentment that will ensue from this. Muslims touch the Quran only after they thoroughly washed their hands, feet, head and balls. The idea that some yank who’s part of an invading power is writing profanities on it and using it for target practice will not go unnoticed.

How’s that “winning hearts and minds” working out?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Apeiron wrote:
There’s no reaction when a Bible is burned, so let’s al whipe our asses with the Surahs and shoot all Korans.

Are you stupid?

Imagine that the Chinese decide to invade the US. They obliterate the land, kill thousands upon thousands of Americans, transforming the country into total chaos and a criminal and terrorist haven. They dissolve everything that represents the state and install a bunch of Americans they like in power. Their rationale for attacking the country turns out to be a blatant lie, and regardless, they continue to occupy the US under the guise of restoring security. Chinese corporations are awarded multi-billion dollars contracts to dig up American natural resources, and the Chinese nationals working there get full immunity because they can’t be prosecuted in American courts nor in Chinese martial courts.

Five years into the invasion and as the country is bled to death, some Chinese takes up the Bible (or the US constitution, or whatever writings you have respect for) and uses it for target practice. I can promise you that even the most secular person will be outraged by that. As for the “Christian right”, it’ll go batshit crazy over it.

I can’t begin to explain the resentment that will ensue from this. Muslims touch the Quran only after they thoroughly washed their hands, feet, head and balls. The idea that some yank who’s part of an invading power is writing profanities on it and using it for target practice will not go unnoticed.

How’s that “winning hearts and minds” working out?[/quote]

Do you also thoroughly wash your hands, feet, head and balls before beheading people who disagree with your twisted interpetation of religion.

Who the fuck cares what you resent? Go troll somewhere that you still have credibility. That should be a short list.

Should the Q’uran be in this list?

10 Worst Books Ever:

Machiavelli’s The Prince was the inspiration for a long list of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)

How Descartes’ Discourse on Method “proved” God’s existence only by making Him a creation of our own ego

How Hobbes’ Leviathan led to the belief that we have a “right” to whatever we want

Rousseau’s Discourse on the Origin and Foundations of Inequality Among Men, which some have called the worst book ever written, planted the seeds of the French Revolution, the sexual revolution and family dissolution

Why Marx and Engels’ Communist Manifesto is one of the most malicious book ever written

How John Stuart Mill’s Utilitarianism, in making morality only a strictly private and practical thing, led only to a society addicted to ever more intense, barbaric, and self-destructive pleasures

How Darwin’s The Descent of Man proves he intended “survival of the fittest” to be applied to human society

How Nietzsche’s Beyond Good and Evil issued the call to a world ruled solely by the “will to power”

How Lenin’s The State and Revolution provided the blueprint for the barbarous communist governments of the Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, China, North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, and Cambodia

How Hitler’s Mein Kampf was a kind of “spiritualized Darwinism” that accounts for his genocidal anti-Semitism

Why Sigmund Freud’s The Future of an Illusion was itself a “projection” of Freud’s desire to discredit religion by the most salacious conjectures he could come up with.

How the pansexual paradise described in Margaret Mead’s Coming of Age in Samoa turned out to be a creation of her own sexual confusions and aspirations

Alfred Kinsey’s Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, in which every manner of sexual deviance is made to seem perfectly normal, was simply Kinsey himself writ large

Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique was once again autobiography masquerading as science, in which Friedan’s attacks on the roles of “wife” and “mother” were defined by her own personality and personal conflicts.

— from Human Events Online

[quote]lixy wrote:
Apeiron wrote:
There’s no reaction when a Bible is burned, so let’s al whipe our asses with the Surahs and shoot all Korans.

Are you stupid?

Imagine that the Chinese decide to invade the US. They obliterate the land, kill thousands upon thousands of Americans, transforming the country into total chaos and a criminal and terrorist haven. They dissolve everything that represents the state and install a bunch of Americans they like in power. Their rationale for attacking the country turns out to be a blatant lie, and regardless, they continue to occupy the US under the guise of restoring security. Chinese corporations are awarded multi-billion dollars contracts to dig up American natural resources, and the Chinese nationals working there get full immunity because they can’t be prosecuted in American courts nor in Chinese martial courts.

Five years into the invasion and as the country is bled to death, some Chinese takes up the Bible (or the US constitution, or whatever writings you have respect for) and uses it for target practice. I can promise you that even the most secular person will be outraged by that. As for the “Christian right”, it’ll go batshit crazy over it.

I can’t begin to explain the resentment that will ensue from this. Muslims touch the Quran only after they thoroughly washed their hands, feet, head and balls. The idea that some yank who’s part of an invading power is writing profanities on it and using it for target practice will not go unnoticed.

How’s that “winning hearts and minds” working out?[/quote]

That explains why you want us to stop spending money on out military. So we can get taken over by the chinese. No thanks, we’ll keep our military strength. We’ll be prepared if somebody tries it.

We will not be at all surprised at the violence this story generates. It’s the muslim mantra: “If you offend us, we’re going to kill lots of people, stamp our feet and whine.”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Should the Q’uran be in this list?

10 Worst Books Ever:

Machiavelli’s The Prince was the inspiration for a long list of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)

How Descartes’ Discourse on Method “proved” God’s existence only by making Him a creation of our own ego

How Hobbes’ Leviathan led to the belief that we have a “right” to whatever we want

Rousseau’s Discourse on the Origin and Foundations of Inequality Among Men, which some have called the worst book ever written, planted the seeds of the French Revolution, the sexual revolution and family dissolution

Why Marx and Engels’ Communist Manifesto is one of the most malicious book ever written

How John Stuart Mill’s Utilitarianism, in making morality only a strictly private and practical thing, led only to a society addicted to ever more intense, barbaric, and self-destructive pleasures

How Darwin’s The Descent of Man proves he intended “survival of the fittest” to be applied to human society

How Nietzsche’s Beyond Good and Evil issued the call to a world ruled solely by the “will to power”

How Lenin’s The State and Revolution provided the blueprint for the barbarous communist governments of the Soviet Union, Eastern Europe, China, North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, and Cambodia

How Hitler’s Mein Kampf was a kind of “spiritualized Darwinism” that accounts for his genocidal anti-Semitism

Why Sigmund Freud’s The Future of an Illusion was itself a “projection” of Freud’s desire to discredit religion by the most salacious conjectures he could come up with.

How the pansexual paradise described in Margaret Mead’s Coming of Age in Samoa turned out to be a creation of her own sexual confusions and aspirations

Alfred Kinsey’s Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, in which every manner of sexual deviance is made to seem perfectly normal, was simply Kinsey himself writ large

Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique was once again autobiography masquerading as science, in which Friedan’s attacks on the roles of “wife” and “mother” were defined by her own personality and personal conflicts.

— from Human Events Online
[/quote]

Hey! I like Descartes…