Shogun vs. Bones

Plus I just flat out like Davis more, seems less confident (DOUCHEY) than Jones.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i think both Vera and Bonnar are BJJ black belts, too…
[/quote]

I know wikipedia might not be the most solid source of informantion, so in case you got a better one let me know. According to Wikipedia, Vera is BJJ Brown belt. Bonnar is BJJ BB though, so thats my mistake.

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:

[/quote]

I know wikipedia might not be the most solid source of informantion, so in case you got a better one let me know. According to Wikipedia, Vera is BJJ Brown belt. Bonnar is BJJ BB though, so thats my mistake.[/quote]

For my two cents their belts don’t matter because Bonner will always try to slug even if his BJJ was the safe choice and Vera loves to not live up to his resume.

EDIT: I think Shogun is too much for Jones, although Shogun’s knee worries me for that pick. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Barbosa again.

There are a few decent fights on this card, but nothing to get too excited over outside of the title fight. I havent decided if I am ordering the PPV yet.

If Cro Cop loses to Schaub and looks as bad as he did in the Mir fight, then he might need to hang it up.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:

[/quote]

I know wikipedia might not be the most solid source of informantion, so in case you got a better one let me know. According to Wikipedia, Vera is BJJ Brown belt. Bonnar is BJJ BB though, so thats my mistake.[/quote]

For my two cents their belts don’t matter because Bonner will always try to slug even if his BJJ was the safe choice and Vera loves to not live up to his resume.

EDIT: I think Shogun is too much for Jones, although Shogun’s knee worries me for that pick. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing Barbosa again.[/quote]

Dre Cappa,

At least watch Barbosa on Spike. I was really impressed with the level of Muay Thai he brought in his last fight.

Jones will win.

Shogun will win.

As good as jones is i would be surprised if he findes the right ingredients to stop a muay thai fighter who is aggressive like shogun. Although jones is taller shogun works with distance extremly well.
First everybody thought Machida is the master of distance till shogun totally destructed him…

But i can see the point when people say jones will come back better and can possibly beat shogun.

Somewhere i read jones is already signing autographs as the new champion… i do not think that is a great idea if you have a fight with shogun coming up…

I would like to see Shogun win this. If he comes in at 100% he has the tools and experience to beat Jones. I would like to see Jones get his ass whooped for beating my boy Bader.

If Shogun does the whooshing hand movements after a punch like he has the last couple fights I wouldn’t mind seeing him eat a few hard shots. I don’t know why it’s so annoying to me…it just is.

Anybody know who this guy he is picking up at around 38 seconds? That guy looks like a monster

[quote]dnbjoe wrote:
As good as jones is i would be surprised if he findes the right ingredients to stop a muay thai fighter who is aggressive like shogun. Although jones is taller shogun works with distance extremly well.
First everybody thought Machida is the master of distance till shogun totally destructed him…
[/quote]

Jones has a significant reach advantage on Shogun though, Machida did not. Jones is also an incredible athlete, so he may have the speed advantage as well. Also, Jones has sick greco/transition skills so even if Shogun does manage to close the distance he may just find himself at yet another disadvantage.

Shogun can potentially KO Jones, I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise. But, whether he’ll be able to close the distance enough to land that KO punch without getting taken down in the process or getting caught with one of Jone’s punches is yet to be seen.

And if it does end up on the ground I don’t know if Shogun is going to be able to submit Jones, maybe early in the fight before they are sweaty he might have a chance, but that is also going to require him to gain some sort of dominant position (or at least full guard) to do so. Seeing how easily Jones was able to control Bader once it went to the ground (and yes, controlling a wrestler of that caliber is very difficult to do, even if they aren’t used to being on their back) I don’t know if Shogun is going to give him that much more problems.

[quote]
Somewhere i read jones is already signing autographs as the new champion… i do not think that is a great idea if you have a fight with shogun coming up… [/quote]

It kind of depends. Ali was already proclaiming (heck, he even predicted the round that he’d do it in) himself the champion before fighting Sonny Liston. Some guys are just ultra confident. Either that or he’s just purposely putting more pressure on himself (maybe he thrives under pressure) to force himself to train his ass off even harder.

Or, it could wind up backfiring on him. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
Anybody know who this guy he is picking up at around 38 seconds? That guy looks like a monster

Looks like Jair Sorriso,the most impressive is that he is a LHW at this size.

Shogun is good no question, and has beaten a lot of really good fighters. But he has his problems. I watched as he barely won a decision against an ancient overly tired one dimensional Mark Coleman. Then I watched once again as Forrest Griffin choked him out. Do any of you realize what Jones would do to Griffin or Coleman? He lost a 5 round decision to Machida (yeah it was a bad decision)but it still took him 5 rounds. To his credit he did come back with a KO against Machida. I do respect Shogun but he’s out of his league against John Bones Jones!

Shogun represents the old guard, not because of age, but because of fighting style and how he trains. Jones is the new breed of fighter. He brings an athleticism to the game that is practically unequalled. He is one of the first mma fighters who could have been involved in other sports at a high level. I think his training is superior to Shoguns as well. Jones is faster, smarter, has far better grappling, is much larger, in far better condition. And he can transition better than any fighter that I’ve ever seen at his weight class. I think that most people will be surprised at how easily he defeats Shogun. I predict a Jones win by referee stoppage. Certainly if Shogun is to win it must happen early as he will fade unable to keep up with Jones pace.

Everybody knows where I stand, as usual. Those of you who are sitting on the fence I’d love to see you come down on one side or the other, it makes it more interesting that way. :slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Shogun is good no question, and has beaten a lot of really good fighters. But he has his problems. I watched as he barely won a decision against an ancient overly tired one dimensional Mark Coleman. Then I watched once again as Forrest Griffin choked him out. Do any of you realize what Jones would do to Griffin or Coleman? He lost a 5 round decision to Machida (yeah it was a bad decision)but it still took him 5 rounds. To his credit he did come back with a KO against Machida. I do respect Shogun but he’s out of his league against John Bones Jones!

Shogun represents the old guard, not because of age, but because of fighting style and how he trains. Jones is the new breed of fighter. He brings an athleticism to the game that is practically unequalled. He is one of the first mma fighters who could have been involved in other sports at a high level. I think his training is superior to Shoguns as well. Jones is faster, smarter, has far better grappling, is much larger, in far better condition. And he can transition better than any fighter that I’ve ever seen at his weight class. I think that most people will be surprised at how easily he defeats Shogun. I predict a Jones win by referee stoppage. Certainly if Shogun is to win it must happen early as he will fade unable to keep up with Jones pace.

Everybody knows where I stand, as usual. Those of you who are sitting on the fence I’d love to see you come down on one side or the other, it makes it more interesting that way. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Oh Zeb you silly guy you.

I’m going with Jones. I think he takes Shogun down from the clinch and uses his incredible top control to GnP and wear him out, winning by some sort of stoppage before the championship rounds.

[quote]Khaine wrote:
I’m going with Jones. I think he takes Machida down from the clinch and uses his incredible top control to GnP and wear Shogun out, winning by some sort of stoppage before the championship rounds.[/quote]

Machida?

Haha, wow.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Oh Zeb you silly guy you.[/quote]

Well, I guess we’ll see how silly I am on fight night. What is your prediction? I don’t think I’ve read it yet.

I’ll say shogun.

shogun used to win by swarming-
by taking crazy chances, and risks, and taking full advantage of weapons no longer available to him.
head stomps, soccer kicks and knees while grounded.
He used to throw crazy looping punches and wild kicks

since a few rusty starts in UFC,
he has showed much more accurate striking, great timing and really good ability to control distance.

I don’t think Bones has been in there with any kind of decent striker
will he take shogun down , yes, but I dont think we are going to see any of the crazy shit
we have seen with things like Bonnar.

Shogun has had more experience, better timing, and better submisions wher he can loose
is not finding his range and in defensive wrestling.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Honestly, the whole argument that “this fighter beat this fighter so this fighter should definitely come out on top” is kind of pointless. Jon Fitch stopped Thiago Silva twice while GSP only got a decision, but GSP still manhandled Fitch. Rampage lost to Griffin, but Griffin got destroyed by Silva. Twenty bucks says that Rampage would put up a much better fight against Silva. Chael Sonnen lost to Damien Mia, but Sonnen beat up on Silva while Mia just decided to lay on his back against Silva.