Shoes, Lifting Longetivity

I have a few questions.

1. What do you recommend for olympic lifting shoes? And I’ve noticed people talk that they dont use it for db work etc. so are they not comfortable or are you ‘saving’ them? I have a bit loose shoes and I dont think they are very nice for squatting / clean & jerk, and I’ve deadlifted shoeless …

2. Is it just me or do old olympic lifters not lift anymore? What are the effects on the long run on hip/knee/back health, I would like to know more. Is there a “weight limit” that is not worth crossing for recreational purposes? Currently I’m cleaning 225 lbs for example.

3. If you have injured yourself, how did it happend? Bad form / PR attempt?

Thanks for your responses.

1. Wear them for anything that doesn’t involve running. Not advisable to wear them for running as the heel has no give at all. I have never heard of anyone saying to not wear them for DB work. If the DB work doesn’t involve running I see no reason to not wear them. Wear Oly shoes for the OLifts, squats, any gym work that doens’t require you to run.

2. Old lifters do lift. Look at the Masters, plenty of active older lifters kicking about. Just that they don’t post on forums for the most part. I guess it’s hard to lift 30-50% less than what you are use to lifting. Spoke to this Masters lifter at the English, forgot his name :(. Back at his prime he was a 155 207.5kg guy!!! FS 235kg and BS 265kg. He said it was lovely to BS 250 for triples as at that weight you get a crazy amount of bar whip. I told him I’ll tell him what it feels like when I get there :P. He has the Masters 45-50 WR Cj of like 171kg! Mental.

Long term affects? Depends how you are built and how hard you push it. He is like 52-53 and still kicking about and not taking it easy. Just be sensible and don’t go crazy when you are injured. But if you do anything for long and hard enough it will beat on your body. If you are older you can’t train like some young guys in their 20’s.

No weight limits imo. Just depends how your body is built. I tend to find that bigger guys tend to have less injuries with their knees than smaller 56-77kg guys. Less fat and muscle around the joints to soak up the punishments of training.

1. back injury during DL. Not great, out for 9months in 2004/05, nearly surgery, prolapsed L4. PB attempt, should have dropped it but grinded it up, made the lift but nearly ended my lifting days.

Literally about 2 or 3 wrist injuries catching the Cn wrong. Out for 2 weeks at a time of no over head work. Hammered the squats so not too bad.

Other injuries were non lifting related:
-moutain boarding : 3months, tarded :frowning:
-kite boarding : 6 weeks
-gladiators tv show injury on mcl, out for 3months

All in all I rarely ever get injured from OLifting. Everything is controlled and no outside factors. You build yourself up to lift the weight. You don’t go from nothing to trying to CJ 165kg.

Koing

Hey Koing, thanks for sharing, much appreciated. I better buy new oly shoes before I hurt myself then. I am relieved that it’s still possible to oly after a long carreer. Dave Tate was talking about how he needs a new hip, knee replacement has back issues etc, but he was a powerlifter. But it did got me concerned about lifting heavy.

I feel like alot of people hurt themselves in PB deadlifting. I hurt myself too and I had mild pain luckily for two weeks, it was similar grinding. Maybe grinding reps are not worth it in the end.

Now I have some ulnar nerve issues on my left but I havent lost strength on my hand, so I am hoping it will go away.

Do you wear wrist wraps? I haven’t worn so far, I am thinking if it would be good to get some leather wraps incase.

Haha it’s awesome that you’ve been to gladiator TV show though.
Cheers

If you push it hard enough you will be carrying a few injuries later down the line. I don’t know of any national level lifter that hasn’t been injured one way or another. OR carrying a few small injuries. I’m probably the least injured?!

Weightlifting has the 2nd least amount of injuries out of any sport. The only sport that is safer in terms of injuries than weightlifting is swimming.

Nothing wrong with lifting heavy. Just do the prep work, build a foundation and don’t go heavy too soon. OR you will get injured.

I won’t grind DL. Not worth it for me and my L4. Others are free to grind but I won’t grind it up.

I do wear eleiko wrist wraps now. I’d get some when you start to Sn around bw. I feel it’s good to build a base first.

Same with a belt. BS to about 2x bw then get a belt.

Koing

Well I am glad weight lifting is the second least amount of injuries haha.

I got curious on how the prolapsed L4 has affected your life and lifting presently?

I’ve been able to bw Sn since I started or should I say muscle Sn, still working on technique - coachless. In the beginning it was more like a widegrip clean and over head press lol. I have a long competetive carreer in judo and smaller recreational in bodybuilding. Actually stopped competing in Judo when my international competitors tried to kickbox my knees instead of sweep me of balance, pretty cheap and the judges didnt pay attention to that, and it messes up your knees, so I started bodybuilding instead. But Olympic lifting is more fun, that’s why I am getting more into it, still main aim is staying healthy and strong. To be honest, I feel much more alive after an OL session than “chest day”, you know what I mean.

Gotta get those wrist wraps too then, some preferred leather, but they seem to use cotton(?) eleikos in olympics, too?

After my injury I couldn’t bend over forwards (I was about a foot from touching the floor, where before the injury I can get my palms flat on the ground without stretching), cough without a lot of pain. I couldn’t lift or do anything that loaded my spine vertically.

I had savage sciatica as well due to the L4. I rested it 6 weeks with no training, only pull ups and dips. Saw a chiro and helped me out a lot. I was really suspicious but I was desperate. I could touch the floor again and the chiro said he couldn’t do anymore for me so I stopped seeing him.

About 6 weeks later I had a miracle weekend and the pain died away a lot. I just started to lift again adding 5kg per week and I’m okay now. It use to hurt and I stopped back squatting and that helped a lot.

I started to wear a belt in 2011 and it helped out a lot. My back from 2005 to 2011 would just go every so often and it would take me out of lifting for 2 weeks. The belt helps a lot. It hasn’t gone since.

I have Eleiko neoprene wrist wraps. I really like them. I don’t use the cotton ones.

I haven’t found leather wrist wraps to wear.

Koing

Sounds brutal. Good thing it’s better now though. Thanks for sharing!
Gotta avoid those grinding deadlifts…

You can order leather wrist wraps online, see from google. I dont know if they are any better than neoprenes though.

NikH

[quote]NikH wrote:
Sounds brutal. Good thing it’s better now though. Thanks for sharing!
Gotta avoid those grinding deadlifts…

You can order leather wrist wraps online, see from google. I dont know if they are any better than neoprenes though.

NikH[/quote]

I’ll google the leather wrist wraps.

Koing

I just want to add some perspective from an older lifter. I started this sport when I was 27, now I’m about to turn 40 later this year. I was never a big number lifter, but I’ve managed pretty well over the last 12 yrs. I don’t have issues with my knees, hips or most other areas. If I were to complain, it would be recovery. I’ve been trying to figure out how often I can lift and be better for the next day. Let me know if you have any questions.

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
I just want to add some perspective from an older lifter. I started this sport when I was 27, now I’m about to turn 40 later this year. I was never a big number lifter, but I’ve managed pretty well over the last 12 yrs. I don’t have issues with my knees, hips or most other areas. If I were to complain, it would be recovery. I’ve been trying to figure out how often I can lift and be better for the next day. Let me know if you have any questions.[/quote]

Try The SYYYYYSTEM.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
I just want to add some perspective from an older lifter. I started this sport when I was 27, now I’m about to turn 40 later this year. I was never a big number lifter, but I’ve managed pretty well over the last 12 yrs. I don’t have issues with my knees, hips or most other areas. If I were to complain, it would be recovery. I’ve been trying to figure out how often I can lift and be better for the next day. Let me know if you have any questions.[/quote]

Try The SYYYYYSTEM.

Koing[/quote]

Mentally, I struggle if I don’t do some sort of lifting more often than twice a week. I’ve since found a nice balance between intensity and volume to where I’m getting back to making progress. Thanks for the suggestion though, Koing!!

I compete in masters as a thrower and PLer, and do some OL (was a Ol as a jr back in 1970-1974).

Most of the guys I lifted with are all stuffed. Yes there are some around who are in good nick, (KABBAS) but even guys who put up big weights as a M/50 (127.5 C & J) are now stuffed at M/55.

Long term it nibbles away at knees and shoulders.

If you look at the standard of world masters in the throws, + PL you see a more even spread from age division to age division and throughout the divisions. In OL masters the lifts are all over the place, as the depth is not there. Depth is not there because it eats you.

Not saying it is not a lot of fun, and if you are just an occasional recreational lifter that will happen, but wind up the load, get serious, lift big weights, and boom

olylifter106, I’m interested in what kind of programming you do to stay injury free.

Terry Gibbs, what kind of adjustments would you make to weightlifting programming if longevity in the sport was a primary concern?

Would you primarly adjust frequency, intensity, or exercise selection?

Firstly I have read Track & Field News over the years, and they have a monthly section which just updates injuries. You would be hard pressed to find an elete athlete who has not gone under the knife for their sport.

So if you want to be the very, very best in the world, or at least the very best you can be, then maybe using up your body is part of the game.

That said and coming from my experience. Trained under world class lifter form 50’s,one year and three years under two very good national coaches. Coaches who could take walk ins and put them into the A section at the worlds. (not everyone who came in, but did it with some very ordinary looking kids).

Think we all spent too much time not decelerating our squats, we became addicted to bouncing out of bottom. We had great concentric poor eccentric.

and for shoulders, simply more pressing. My first coach pressed 190 Military back in late 50s at 123bwt (lbs).
At 50 he militaried 140 at 140bwt bare feet, grass back yard, rusted junk bar.

very, very healthy shoulders, these days pressing is not what it was in training, and for a reason, but maybe more would help long term shoulder health

lastly let go of lifts that take too much out to save. The ones where you are adjusting and fighting underneath. but of course if you want 100%, then that is a price you may have to pay.

[quote]Terry Gibbs wrote:
Firstly I have read Track & Field News over the years, and they have a monthly section which just updates injuries. You would be hard pressed to find an elete athlete who has not gone under the knife for their sport.

So if you want to be the very, very best in the world, or at least the very best you can be, then maybe using up your body is part of the game.

That said and coming from my experience. Trained under world class lifter form 50’s,one year and three years under two very good national coaches. Coaches who could take walk ins and put them into the A section at the worlds. (not everyone who came in, but did it with some very ordinary looking kids).

Think we all spent too much time not decelerating our squats, we became addicted to bouncing out of bottom. We had great concentric poor eccentric.

and for shoulders, simply more pressing. My first coach pressed 190 Military back in late 50s at 123bwt (lbs).
At 50 he militaried 140 at 140bwt bare feet, grass back yard, rusted junk bar.

very, very healthy shoulders, these days pressing is not what it was in training, and for a reason, but maybe more would help long term shoulder health

lastly let go of lifts that take too much out to save. The ones where you are adjusting and fighting underneath. but of course if you want 100%, then that is a price you may have to pay.[/quote]

My coach has always coached lifters to not bounce and go down fast in the squats. The legs take a huge amount of beating in the OLifts so you don’t need to pound them more in the squats.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to me. I’m 30 at the end of the year with 14yrs comp experience as an OLifter. I’ll probably just train less and take more recover inbetween training sessions.

Koing

[quote]citius99 wrote:
olylifter106, I’m interested in what kind of programming you do to stay injury free.

Terry Gibbs, what kind of adjustments would you make to weightlifting programming if longevity in the sport was a primary concern?

Would you primarly adjust frequency, intensity, or exercise selection?

[/quote]

Nothing spectacular, but I try and get in some stretching 2-3 days per week. I’ve never bounced out of squats, and I’m very careful about not fighting misses. Doesn’t mean I don’t get those nagging little tweaks, but they don’t happen often, and when they do, I back off a bit. Also, keep in mind I’m not an exceptional lifter. I made 84/116 for a 200 total at the Arnold as a 39yr old, 85kg Master. My SN tech constantly needs work, and I don’t have any reserve strength, again, constantly working on that.