Shoes for Trap Bar Deadlifts

So recently I rediscovered how much I love trap bar deadlifts and intend to make them a regular part of my routine, at least for the immediate future. I have a pair of weightlifting shoes (only 0.6") and some chucks. What should I use for trap bar DLs?

take your shoes off and do your compounds bare-feet.

elevating the heel on a deadlift does NOT have the same effect that it does for a squat.

In fact, its the opposite. You should be elevating your toes on dead-lifts to have the most ‘correct form’, or lend yourself some help with leverage.

I normally switch to chucks for regular deadlifting, which are what I lift in comp with anyway (though I might get slippers at some point).

The management of my gym doesn’t exactly love us deadlifting without shoes. Mostly I’m asking because a trap bar deadlift isn’t quite the same movement as a deadlift, so I was wondering if it’s forgivable to do them in oly shoes, since it’s a pain in the ass lugging around a second set of shoes if I don’t have to.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
I normally switch to chucks for regular deadlifting, which are what I lift in comp with anyway (though I might get slippers at some point).

The management of my gym doesn’t exactly love us deadlifting without shoes. Mostly I’m asking because a trap bar deadlift isn’t quite the same movement as a deadlift, so I was wondering if it’s forgivable to do them in oly shoes, since it’s a pain in the ass lugging around a second set of shoes if I don’t have to.[/quote]

Just try it and see. Probably get a little more quad activation with the TBDL than you would w/o them but I cant really see it being a problem.

Depends on your reasons for trap bar deadlifting. I find that wearing oly shoes make it a bit more quad-dominant and allows for a slightly more upright torso. Since trap bar deads already tend to recruit more of your quads than the BB variety, I’d say stick to the flat shoes and keep it as much of a hip-dominant movement as you can. But again, it depends on your goals and your reason for choosing the exercise in the first place.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
But again, it depends on your goals and your reason for choosing the exercise in the first place. [/quote]

This. Both work.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
But again, it depends on your goals and your reason for choosing the exercise in the first place.[/quote]
This. Both work.[/quote]
Yep.

Doing them in Oly shoes would probably be more of a “trap bar squat”. Whether that’s really a factor or just a matter of exercise naming is up to you and what you get out of the movement.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
But again, it depends on your goals and your reason for choosing the exercise in the first place.[/quote]
This. Both work.[/quote]
Yep.

Doing them in Oly shoes would probably be more of a “trap bar squat”. Whether that’s really a factor or just a matter of exercise naming is up to you and what you get out of the movement.[/quote]

Mostly it’s about laziness.

I was hoping to use it for a higher volume deadlift day because due to injury my lower back can’t handle a lot of volume, whether I go heavy or light. I find trap bar deads not only don’t hurt my back, but are actually helping rehab it. I was just curious if I could get away with not bringing my 2nd pair of shoes.

If how (good) sore my spinal erectors are right now is any indication, oly shoes seem to work just fine.