T Nation

Shoes and Leg Excersises

Does the type of shoe your wearing effect the efficiency of a leg workout? More specifically the squats, leg press and lunge excercises.

chuck taylors

/thread

wear flat shoes, just don’t wear running shoes

If your just an all around athlete, a good cross trainer works well. Otherwise, most guys who are powerlifters will advocate the chuck taylor converse shoe for its flat sole and being that it doesn’t compress much if at all.

Then there is weightlifting. If you specifically do high bar close stance squats, the wl shoes do help because the extra heel helps with ankle flexibility allowing you to get deeper, and the shoes have wooden soles which means zero compression when lifting heavy weights. Great for olympic lifts and their assistance exercises.

Having all three(nike free 7.0 crosstrainers, chuck taylors, and adidas adistar weightlifting shoes), I would say do what you can afford.

Myself, I generally don’t use my chuck taylors much at all except maybe deadlifting once in awhile. My crosstrainers I use them for warmups, sprints, but no leg exercises directly. The adidas wl shoes I use exclusively for squats and olympic lifting movements.

And don’t forget about barefoot training. It has its place for certain exercises like the deadlift and even the squat.

Good luck.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
chuck taylors

/thread[/quote]

x2

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I squatted in running shoes once. It wasn’t pretty. Only time I lost balance squatting and had to bail on the bar.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
chuck taylors

/thread[/quote]

x3

Only go up to size 11 i believe thou…

Nike Frees and Chuck Taylors are the only ones I’ll ever consider wearing for leg days.

Just make sure that you’ve tried barefoot training. There really is no problem with stability or anything, just smell if you go to a commercial gym :stuck_out_tongue:

I go barefoot (well, socks) had a trainer give me shit today (he’s actually pretty big and strong and knowledgeable so I think it was just friendly). He told me not to drop weights on my feet (like doing it in trainers is so much better).

Barefoot rocks. I think my barefoot squat max is at least 20lbs heavier than in running shoes.

Haven’t tried hard soled shoes yet (can’t find any in my size on the island and have weird feet so don’t wanna buy off the internet) but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
chuck taylors

/thread

x3
[/quote]

chuck taylors ftw.

I like my Puma’s that are damn close to wresting shoes… very thin flat bottoms and comfy.

I’ve read that you should squat in shoes with an elevated heel. I’ve been squatting in running shoes with no problems. Is the elevated heel thing more for powerlifting? Do I need to get some Chucks?

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
I like my Puma’s that are damn close to wresting shoes… very thin flat bottoms and comfy.[/quote]

I bought some cheap Champion tennis shoes (about $20) that have been serving me just fine. Very flat, very comfortable, good traction. I’ve got size 13 feet, so some of the trendier shoes (e.g., Chuck Taylors) are out for me.

[quote]mcl wrote:
Ratchet wrote:
I like my Puma’s that are damn close to wresting shoes… very thin flat bottoms and comfy.

I bought some cheap Champion tennis shoes (about $20) that have been serving me just fine. Very flat, very comfortable, good traction. I’ve got size 13 feet, so some of the trendier shoes (e.g., Chuck Taylors) are out for me.[/quote]

I wear my Frees on leg day.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Do I need to get some Chucks?[/quote]

yes

Barefoot.

Well, I keep my socks on.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
I like my Puma’s that are damn close to wresting shoes… very thin flat bottoms and comfy.[/quote]

X2

[quote]Artem wrote:
I’ve read that you should squat in shoes with an elevated heel. I’ve been squatting in running shoes with no problems. Is the elevated heel thing more for powerlifting? Do I need to get some Chucks?[/quote]

elevated heel is for oly lifting.

and you don’t even need them for that. As far as lifting goes chuck taylors are the king of lifting shoes. The flat, thin sole and just the show design in general is perfect for squats and deadlifts.