Shoe Lifts

Wait. It says you’re 5’11" in your hub. Huh? How tall are you really?

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

A little secret: 99.9% of guys lie about their height.

I am a true 5’10" on the dot, barefoot. I can’t tell you how many other males I am eye-to-eye to that claim to be 6’. I think the rule of thumb must be to measure with your shoes on and then round up.[/quote]

This. I am not quite 5’11" and have the same thing happen often. Had a guy I was playing intramural flag football with in college talking about how our entire team was 6’ or better and us all off. They all agree to the heights he gave them and he gets to me and is like “There’s Blake at 6’1” and I was taller than half the team. Made for an awkward situation when I corrected him.

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

I am a true 5’10" on the dot, barefoot. I can’t tell you how many other males I am eye-to-eye to that claim to be 6’. I think the rule of thumb must be to measure with your shoes on and then round up.[/quote]

Judging by the user polls on bodybuilding.com, the majority of the population is 6’5"

Do people really measure their height in shoes?

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

This also makes it so that the world misunderstands height so fundamentally.

I’m a dead on 5’9 (5’8 3/4 after a heavy yoke walk). So many folks think I’m 6’ tall, because 5’9 is the height that a lot of guys that are 5’7 claim to be, so people perceive someone who is “5’9” to be 5’7.

I once had a photo of me standing with 3 other people who all had a claimed height of 5’9, and I was almost a head taller than the whole lot.

And then this has the secondary effect of screwing up weight expectations. People tend to assume I’m 220lbs because they’re already assuming I’m 6’. Finding out I’m sub 200 just royally screws them up.

[quote]bullpup wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
Anything under 5’7" for a man usually warrants some embarrassment…but wearing lifts? Come on dude, I’m not tall either but lets assume there’s more important things that define our character than the height we were born with.[/quote]

…that’s a pretty broad statement there regarding embarrassment.

[/quote]

x2.

edited

Very strange to me that people would lie about something that would be so easy to call out.

I wouldn’t have a problem with a short guy.

But I would have a problem with a short guy telling me he was 5’11" and then meeting him and finding him to be considerably shorter. I would wonder what the hell else he’s lying about.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Very strange to me that people would lie about something that would be so easy to call out.

But I would have a problem with a short guy telling me he was 5’11" and then meeting him and finding him to be considerably shorter. I would wonder what the hell else he’s lying about.
[/quote]

It’s 12" I promise

[quote]bullpup wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

It’s 12" I promise
[/quote]
POIDH

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Do people really measure their height in shoes? [/quote]

Most use centimeters.

I suppose by your logic I would be 6 shoes tall.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Do people really measure their height in shoes? [/quote]

Most use centimeters.

I suppose by your logic I would be 6 shoes tall.
[/quote]

Lol. +5 internets for you!

Most of the shorter than average men I’ve met (5’3" and under) have been super confident and don’t gaf. My husband happens to be one of them. Try confidence before lifts.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

I’m 179 to be specific, forgiveable to round up a little :wink:

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

yes, i likewise have experienced this. or similar (a guy barely taller claiming 6’1). i bask in it though lol i choose to believe its true and that myabe i’ve grown. you know, until the next time i measure myself. not as mature as you.

i get the advice about being yourself, i know its the right thing, but, that requires emotional maturity lol. ill work on it.

i already know that if getting a girl or being taken seriously at work or something hinges on 1 inch theres a deeper issue there.

i definitely know what you guys mean about some short guys being really comfortable in their shoes. obviously i need to solve this height issue internally and not externally, funnily enough.

was curious how many people wear lifts though. surprised none do? you know, you hear about it all the time in hollywood. i.e apparently daniel craig had to do it in james bond and he laughed it off.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
my height always kinda bugged me, so i figured id wear lifts. reason being, none of them have a familiar idea of how tall i am, yet. [/quote]

Intellectually, I don’t see how this is any different than a woman who wears a push-up bra or stuffs her bra.

Emotionally, though, I think there is a double standard. Women can wear a push up bra. Men cannot do the equivalent, because the most valued quality of men is being tough and OK with who they are.

It’s the same reason women like a muscular man who got muscular playing sports or chopping wood, but doesn’t care for bodybuilders who primp and preen.

In short, men who are vain are despised by men and woman alike.

Religiously, I come from a school of thought that you are just as G-d made you, and you are not supposed to do things to artificially change that. For example, I am forbidden to dye my hair (not that I would). I’m supposed to be who I am.

That said, the purpose of clothing is for protection, modesty, and to make you look good. I don’t see how this is different than dressing well in general.

So, if you are really insecure about your height, I wouldn’t do this, as you are putting a band aid on a more serious problem that will make the problem worse.

If you just think it will make you look a bit better, then I suppose it is harmless.

I would warn you, though, if you are found out to be the “guy who wears lifts,” you will be mocked and belittled far worse than any grief you get from being on the short side.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I mentioned this on the other short guy thread: the best thing a short guy that doesn’t like his height can do is get wider. THAT is something he can actually accomplish.[/quote]

interesting, I always felt at some point that actually accentuates the lack of height.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
my height always kinda bugged me, so i figured id wear lifts. reason being, none of them have a familiar idea of how tall i am, yet. [/quote]

Intellectually, I don’t see how this is any different than a woman who wears a push-up bra or stuffs her bra.

Emotionally, though, I think there is a double standard. Women can wear a push up bra. Men cannot do the equivalent, because the most valued quality of men is being tough and OK with who they are.

It’s the same reason women like a muscular man who got muscular playing sports or chopping wood, but doesn’t care for bodybuilders who primp and preen.

In short, men who are vain are despised by men and woman alike.

Religiously, I come from a school of thought that you are just as G-d made you, and you are not supposed to do things to artificially change that. For example, I am forbidden to dye my hair (not that I would). I’m supposed to be who I am.

That said, the purpose of clothing is for protection, modesty, and to make you look good. I don’t see how this is different than dressing well in general.

So, if you are really insecure about your height, I wouldn’t do this, as you are putting a band aid on a more serious problem that will make the problem worse.

If you just think it will make you look a bit better, then I suppose it is harmless.

I would warn you, though, if you are found out to be the “guy who wears lifts,” you will be mocked and belittled far worse than any grief you get from being on the short side.
[/quote]

nice post. food for thought in there for definite.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[/quote]

I’m 179 to be specific, forgiveable to round up a little :wink:
[/quote]

172cm midget-manlet-runt checking in. Reality check: you’re not short. You’re just not really tall.

Would it be nice to be taller? Sure, just like it would be nice to be better looking, smarter, and born into a richer family. But it’s not worth obsessing over. I used to be insecure about my height. Ultimately, I’m quite sure the insecurity itself held me back way more than my height ever did. I know short guys who are incredibly successful, athletic, attractive to women, etc.

Don’t think lifts are necessarily a bad idea for something where you’re trying to make a good impression (e.g. job interview) because it certainly won’t hurt to make yourself look better. Just don’t rely on them as a crutch.