T Nation

Shitte vs. Sunni: A Lesson for Me

Wow…

I think that the Royal “Oil” families (whom are Sunni), gave me the impression over the years of being the lazy opportunist where Religion was just a smoke screen…and that the Shitte (e.g. the majority of Iran) were the “hardcore”, militant, “die-for-what-you-belive-in” hard liners.

It goes to show you how streotypes can lead only to ignorance, and it APPEARS (you have to be careful about what “is” and what “isn’t” in the Middle East)…it APPEARS, that the Sunni (along with a myriad of mercenaries, criminals and thrugs) are creating all the havoc in Iraq…and are willing to die for it, and take everyone they can with them…

Thoughts? (Hey…I’m ALWAYS learning…)

Mufasa

A funny aside…

I had a collegue tell me once that those Royal Families would have more pork and liquor on those planes than at a Southern Baptist barbeque!

Mufasa

I think that’s an interesting perspective, but probably one that’s unique to Iraq where Sunni’s are a minority. As I understand it Sunni’s are an overwhelming majority of the world’s Muslim population.

Watson…

You could be right on that one…

Can anyone clear that up for us? Are Sunnis the majority worldwide?

Mufasa

Mufassa

There are 1.4 Billion Muslims in the world. Best estimate is that between 8 and 11% are Shia.

The differences between the two are substantial.

The Sunni triangle is where most of the insurgency is happening in Iraq.

Unfortunately there are extremists on both sides, but between the Shiite and Sunni, I believe there are innumerable sub groups of each. So they can never truly be classified. There is a group of Shiite that are more pro west then any other Muslim group, and push west ideals whenever they can in the mid-east, while at the same time there are other Shiite groups who hate the west at least as much as Osama does.

I just saw a news story recently talking about whether they can get along, and they had a sound bite from a woman who said she was one, and her husband was the other, so that she said it was obviously possible to her. (Very heavy paraphrasing.)

Oh yeah, great news on the election. If a preliminary estimate of 72% turnout, with people known to have walked over 13 miles just to vote, and with the threat of reprisals over their heads.

There are also reports of dancing in the streets in some places.

Just to add to what Mage said…

There was a man who insisted that his young son go to Vote with him (and I mean young like 5 or 6)…he wanted his son to know what freedom and democracy was all about…

As Mage said…this man did this at GREAT risk…but teaching these ideals to his son…the importance of having a voice… was more important…

I would imagine that this young boy will NEVER have a good excuse not to vote…

Mufasa