T Nation

Shin Splints

I’ve read every shin splint post on here and I still have them. I have had shin splints for about the past two months, and it’s getting pretty bad.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice before I drop the money to go see a professional.

To try and coutner this, I have been doing the exercise where you hold a dumbell between your feet and curl it up. I forget what it’s called, but it’s in an article here somewhere. I also have shoes built for over-pronation. They’re Saucony Trigon 4’s (aka guides).

As far as the problem goes:
I have a high amount of over-pronation in my feet. My ankles center about 1.5 inches to the inside of my foot’s centroid when looking at them from head on.

The pain is on the frontal-inner edge of my shins, like squeezing a knife between my legs.

Running (especially in combat boots, but that’s a given), step ups, and power cleans are what hurt the most.

People at PT always give me worthless advice like “walk this way, that way, your shoes are too big, too small, too tight, too lose”, and it’s getting to the point where I’m seriously considering getting therapy. I can no longer max my physical fitness test due to a 10:30 mile and a half run from the pain.

Well, lots of running, especially on hard surfaces or sprints on hard surfaces will give you shin splits. Normally they go away after a day or two of rest though.

Perhaps you don’t have just shin splits?

Stretching helped me. Make sure to include stretches for not only the calf muscles, but also the hamstrings, piriformis, gluteal, back muscles, and quads.

Yea I might not have actual shin splints, because stretching does nothing for the pain.

It’s unfortunate, but I found in the past the best way to combate this awful phenomenon is direct rest on the injured area. I know this may be difficult to do especially if you’re training for a specific event. You may have to work around them so they can heal.

try your local ART guy…

Last time I got shin splints I went to my art guy…pain was gone in a matter of days…

Normally when I get them it takes several weeks for the pain to go away…

Yeah i’m in a similar position. Sucks hey.
Some of the advice i’ve been given include:

• do a lot of calf stretches.
  • continue to run(not excessively) and take anti-inflammatories.
  • ice massage: fill 2 paper cups with water, freeze, tear off the upper edge of the cups, massage for around 10mins.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
try your local ART guy…

Last time I got shin splints I went to my art guy…pain was gone in a matter of days…

Normally when I get them it takes several weeks for the pain to go away…

[/quote]

I agree, active relase, postitional release, deep tissue, NMT, trigger point can all be effective at eliminating soft tissue pain. There is something you can do about it, not just deal with it.

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
I’ve read every shin splint post on here and I still have them. I have had shin splints for about the past two months, and it’s getting pretty bad.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice before I drop the money to go see a professional.

To try and coutner this, I have been doing the exercise where you hold a dumbell between your feet and curl it up. I forget what it’s called, but it’s in an article here somewhere. I also have shoes built for over-pronation. They’re Saucony Trigon 4’s (aka guides).

As far as the problem goes:
I have a high amount of over-pronation in my feet. My ankles center about 1.5 inches to the inside of my foot’s centroid when looking at them from head on.

The pain is on the frontal-inner edge of my shins, like squeezing a knife between my legs.

Running (especially in combat boots, but that’s a given), step ups, and power cleans are what hurt the most.

People at PT always give me worthless advice like “walk this way, that way, your shoes are too big, too small, too tight, too lose”, and it’s getting to the point where I’m seriously considering getting therapy. I can no longer max my physical fitness test due to a 10:30 mile and a half run from the pain.[/quote]

I used to have REALLY BAD shin splints.

What shoes do you wear?

I would recommend going to a podiatrist. Chances are those shoes may not be enough for your over-pronation.

I also know a runner or two with pronation problems and switched to nike frees, problem basically gone.

Next, if it persists more than 1 week after subsiding from running, it could be a stress fracture.

The last thing I could propose is that you’re “too heavy” for running. When I’m at a heavier weight, I seem to get shin splints a lot easier.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:

I used to have REALLY BAD shin splints.

What shoes do you wear?
[/quote]

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
They’re Saucony Trigon 4’s (aka guides).
[/quote]

:wink:

Actually it turns out, I supinate. Considering I’ve been given shoes for over-pronation, could this be the problem? Also, is there any way to fix my bad running style or do I just have to get shoes to work with it?