Shin Splints

I was just wondering if someone knows a good way to get rid of shin spints. I play college soccer and am training over the summer, and just recently my right shin is starting to really hurt. I got shin splints last season(fall 05) but i thought they would be gone. Any help would be appreciated…maybe it’s my shoes…

Ice. Walk for a little while with your toes in, and then with your toes out.

When I say Ice I don’t mean one of those pansy ass ice bags either. get a bucket and fill it with ice and water and stick your leg in there.

9 times outta 10, shin splints are just your legs way of saying “buy new shoes”

[quote]Mark6677 wrote:
I was just wondering if someone knows a good way to get rid of shin spints. I play college soccer and am training over the summer, and just recently my right shin is starting to really hurt. I got shin splints last season(fall 05) but i thought they would be gone. Any help would be appreciated…maybe it’s my shoes…[/quote]

Do a T-Nation search on the DARD- this simple device is all you need to cure your shin splints.

Learn how to move properly, so that you don’t need to hold the foot in dorsiflexion longer then you need to during your stride.

I suggest picking up a copy of Sahrmann’s Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes and reading up.

[quote]Hog Ear wrote:
Do a T-Nation search on the DARD- this simple device is all you need to cure your shin splints. [/quote]

You can do pretty much the same thing with a dumbbell between your feet. Check out this old “Branding Iron” column:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=277brand2

The third part, talking about calves, has a picture and description of the exercise.

good luck,
Jay

Not to sound like an ass, but use the search function, I think I’ve posted the same things to help shin splints about 5 times now. As have others.

Just to add one more potential exercise, I did some swimming sprints with fins yesterday and my anterior tibialis muscles are mighty sore today.

SHIN SPLINTS is a generic term that can refer to any one of dozens of conditions affecting the lower leg. Where exactly is your pain?

I’ve had medial shin splints for nine months and nothing has helped; in fact it has been made significantly worse by a handful of incompetant physicians.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
SHIN SPLINTS is a generic term that can refer to any one of dozens of conditions affecting the lower leg. Where exactly is your pain?

I’ve had medial shin splints for nine months and nothing has helped; in fact it has been made significantly worse by a handful of incompetant physicians. [/quote]

I heard that medial shin splints are treatable with calf raises on the balls of your foot (strengthens the posterior tibialis) along with rest. I’m trying this with one of my clients right now, I’ll bump this thread if it works.

Anterior shin splints are what the dard or weighted toe raises are good for. I have used the toe raises successfully for myself and one of the clients.

No carryover between the two, meaning if you have medial shin splints the dard is worthless.

Here’s a link that shows the difference.

[quote]Bram Wiley wrote:

I heard that medial shin splints are treatable with calf raises on the balls of your foot (strengthens the posterior tibialis) along with rest. I’m trying this with one of my clients right now, I’ll bump this thread if it works.
[/quote]

I can’t speak for others, but calf raises only irritate my medial shin splins. I have to wear orthotics with a heel lift to keep the weight off the balls of my feet when walking.

Despite what may be written elsewhere, medial shin splints is not related to the tibialis posterior, which primarily causes midfoot pain when injured. What really causes medial shin splints is damage to the deep crural fascia at its attachment to the medial border of the tibia.

Shin splints can be caused by a variety of things, but dumbbell dorsiflexions can be very helpful. Pretty much the same thing as what the previus poster was refering to with the DARD thing.

I’ve had good success with riding a bike. I use toe clips and work on dorsi flexing my feet on the upstroke. There’s just a little resistance and its almost like an isometric contraction. You get a ton of reps in quickly and you can angle your feet in or out to work the muscle at different angles. I also agree with the shoes and running style. Bend your knees more and don’t over extend.

There is really no cure for shin splints after they flare up but rest. As a competitive and high school soccer coach, I see this problem mostly after a lay off of training or over-training due to too many games in a short period of time mixed with poor nutrition. If you have to train, ice as soon as you are done.

If you have this problem during the season, keep your warm up short so you will have more playing time before it hurts to bad to play. If you are at a point in the season to rest keep your training to the bike or other low impact cardio as to not cause pain and consider a wobble board for rehab along with ice cups.

I definitely have the medial shin splints. I am going to try and do calf raises on the balls of my feet. I have bought a new pair of shoes. I am not going to run on concrete, but I must continue to run as I am a competetive soccer player. Hopefully all your advice will help, thank you.

Played semi professionally In Aus for a long time myself and can tell you that there is no easy cure once they are full blown - early intervention is the way to go. Definately ice after any impact exercise and look at increasing flexibility through the achilles tendon and lower leg musculature. Also look at seeing a good physio - good massage can be helpful, as may be orthotics. After playing for several years through pain id also advise that you look at balancing the type of preperation / pre season fitness work you do to find activities you can perform that have you off your feet. I successfully utilised cycling and swimming but there are several others that will help. Good luck.

Yeah they are a cunt.

I had them for years and did all the things like ice, tried different shoes and so on.

This chick I worked with is a sports massuese. She got me to point out where the pain was most severe on my shins.

With that, she rubbed her knuckles up and down the sore area for 10 minutes. It was excrutiating, but it worked. Now whenever I get them, I run the knuckles, TV remote or whatever up and down the sore spot and it works a treat.

Probably not your everyday medical answer but it worked and still works whenever the problem resurfaces.

Ice does help too!