Shin Splints & Shoulder Pain

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
OG- do you jog outdoors or on a treadmill? I recently started jogging too! :slight_smile:
I found that just elevating the treadmill to a 1-2% incline closely mimmicks the outdoors, and takes the strain off of my shins…
The shoulder pain sounds like tension…try focusing on keeping your shoulders down and relaxed…is this pain only when you run?
[/quote]

I am an outdoor girly thank goodness. I have a beautiful lake to jog around.

I do walk on the treadmill at the gym and usually on an incline and you are right that I don’t get the shin splints on the treadmill.

Maybe I am tensing my shoulders without noticing. I will pay attention next time.

The shoulder pain is only when I run, or… when I beat my coworkers with my keyboard, but I think that is my form, I need to study the Office Combat styles again.

[quote]AlisaV wrote:
Shin splints normally happen to people who start running a lot harder than usual (or for the first time). As far as prevention goes, what I’ve heard is to avoid running on concrete if possible (cinder tracks or dirt trails are better) and to stretch out your ankles. Sometimes overpronation is a problem (that is, running on the insides of your soles) and the fix for that is usually sturdier shoes.

For shoulders, check the position of your hands when you run. Your fists should be about at your hips, and you shouldn’t be swinging too hard. When I started I was pumping my arms at chest level, which causes a lot of tension and wastes energy.[/quote]

I don’t think I have ever stretched my ankles and they are a problem. I have extra bones in my feet so I have wonky ankles. I will give that a try, thanks!

Hi OctoberGirl!

From what I understand shin splints often are the result of the muscles in the front of your calf being underdeveloped. Maybe try a HFT program for your calves that includes toe points or dorsi-flexion exercises. I did a course of this a few years back. Ever since I’ve held shin splints at bay. Try sitting on a bench with your legs off mid-calf. Hold a DB between your feet and pull up (toes towards knees). It really helps!

Good Luck!

AG

I found switching to the treadmill temporarily to allow my shins to recover helped with the shin splints a great deal.

Here’s a thread from a while back that had some good advice:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/anyone_havehad_shin_splints

For your shoulder, I agree with Mom-in-MD, maybe try and make sure you are nice and relaxed. If you’re too stiff and tense you’ll cramp up.

Good luck!

Edit: also, it’s usually recommended to not increase your running distance/speed or intensity by more than 10% a week to avoid shin splints.

[quote]AGagain wrote:
Hi OctoberGirl!

From what I understand shin splints often are the result of the muscles in the front of your calf being underdeveloped. Maybe try a HFT program for your calves that includes toe points or dorsi-flexion exercises. I did a course of this a few years back. Ever since I’ve held shin splints at bay. Try sitting on a bench with your legs off mid-calf. Hold a DB between your feet and pull up (toes towards knees). It really helps!

Good Luck!

AG

[/quote]

That sounds like it will hit muscles in all kinds of ways… might be a good move for my dating life also!

Thanks AG I will give it a try.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I found switching to the treadmill temporarily to allow my shins to recover helped with the shin splints a great deal.

Here’s a thread from a while back that had some good advice:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/anyone_havehad_shin_splints

For your shoulder, I agree with Mom-in-MD, maybe try and make sure you are nice and relaxed. If you’re too stiff and tense you’ll cramp up.

Good luck!

Edit: also, it’s usually recommended to not increase your running distance/speed or intensity by more than 10% a week to avoid shin splints.

[/quote]

oohhh I had no idea there was a technique to this running thing. Well no, not true, I just thought casual running was just casual running.

I will try the stretching as suggested and maybe alternate my outdoor days with the treadmill. It is just so gorgeous outside right now though.

shortening your stride helps shin splints sometimes, along with running on a softer surface or a shoe with more cusion, and strengthen the muscles on the front of your shin. try standing with your heels elevated and raise your toes and your body. kind of like a reverse calfraise. i have used a 2X4, a weight plate, the side of a power rack, or even the edge of a step to put my heels on and then just bang them reps out! hope that helps your shins!

How is your gait?
do you pronate or supinate? inward or outward rotation on your feet?

do you heel strike? or run on the front of your foot?

I had them- here is what worked.
motion control trainers- my feet rotate outward-
Ice, applying it to the shin and ice baths

rolling my feet with a golf ball.

kmc

My shoulder would ache when I ran too… but I had some rotator cuff problems. Maybe that’s the root of your problem?

I know I’m a little late to this thread, but I’ve had similar issues, so here’s my 2 cents:

• Strengthen and stretch the tibialis muscle. PM me or email me if you need some suggestions.

• When you run, do no notice if you unintentionally shrug your shoulders and keep them in that position? Do you shoulder drift forward at all? I’ll get shoulder pain when I sprint, if I notice that I’m not doing a good job of keeping my shoulders down and back.

• Are you running heavily on your heels? I get shin splints the worst when I find that I’m running really heavily on my heels.

[quote]AGagain wrote:
Hi OctoberGirl!

From what I understand shin splints often are the result of the muscles in the front of your calf being underdeveloped.

AG

[/quote]

This is what I have heard as well.

Salsa, I had an AC separation in my right shoulder but that was last year. I think I am a stresser gal. I drag my shoulders up to my ears.

I have been using a tennis ball under my foot and that feels damn good at work.

Hi Sluicy!
I have noooo idea how to specifically hit the muscle on the front of my leg. I will find out how to do that.

Hey Vader!
I definitely hunch and scrunch up my shoulders. I have been doing much better by shaking them every once in a while and thinking of holding the weight of my arms at the elbows.

I may be running heavy on my heels. I was rolling off the side of my foot so I have been trying to concentrate on my step. I am going for a run tonight so I will see what I am doing.

The shoulders have gotten better and although the shin splints have gotten better, they are still there.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Hi Sluicy!
I have noooo idea how to specifically hit the muscle on the front of my leg. I will find out how to do that.

[/quote]

www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html#anchor1929502

Or improvise something with bands, or I think what was said above was hold a dumbbell between your feet and lift your toes.

Or, do like my grandmother and use two soup cans tied in a sock! :slight_smile:

^^Similarly I’ve heard of sitting on a table and hanging weight off your toes and lifting. (I haven’t tried it.)

[quote]debraD wrote:
^^Similarly I’ve heard of sitting on a table and hanging weight off your toes and lifting. (I haven’t tried it.)[/quote]

Yeah, something like that’s what I meant by the DB exercise. :slight_smile:

A ‘high tech’ way to train the tibialis would be to purchase a DARD.

http://www.qfac.com/gear/dard.html

I’ve had one for several years now and it really works well for that.

Also, I know this may sound crazy, but try these shoes: http://vibramfivefingers.com/

I run/sprint/walk in them and they feel amazing. I’ve heard of marathon runners using them as well and they have no aches or pains.

I have been trying the dumbbell thing but have been holding back on jogging due to being a klutz and tripping over a curb. I seriously need to live in a bubble.

I have no idea if the dumbbells are working but it is reminding me to stretch out my legs and hip flexors so it is all good!

thanks for the suggestions

I am having problems with Frozen Shoulder!
Only I have it in both, with I guess is almost unheard of. Anyways, does anyone know of exercise that would help this, or info from experience!! Mgb

Shin splints are often caused by your foot not properly absorbing the impact/shock involved with running. Proper running shoes that accommodate your particular foot type are a must. Instead of trying to explain all of this I have linked a video for you that should explain everything.

Or you could find a shoe store that will evaluate your gait and make a shoe recommendation for you.