Shin Splints, Please Help

Hi guys i play football and suffer from shin splints most years. i have them now but i cannot rest them to get rid of them, so what i need is help on what to do to minimise pain and get me through matches.

Here’s what i do:
After training i ice them for 2 days.
Before training/matches is massage them with deep heat rub.
I have good orthotic insoles and moulded boots.
I tape them up pretty tight before running.
I am going to buy ibprofine on monday as i’m out, its an anti inflamitary.
I will try get a good painkiller to take prematch.

Also a mate recommended Difene before match games but thats a prescription drug i think, i’ll have to ask.

Am i doing all i can do? Any advise?

I have 2 months of intense football ahead to get through!

They are medial shin splints.

I have the same pains, but up the side of my left forarm. they burn like hell whenever I do certain curl workouts. It feels almost like my muscle is pulling on my bone or something. Ive had to cut out a lot of workouts due to this. Sorry bro, I feel your pain on this one.

shin splints are an overuse injury. simply put your body is telling you that it is not ready for the intensity and/or volume you are applying to it. if you cant rest then you will have to play injured. the anti-inflamatory and pain killers will help the symptoms but not help the healing.

you can also try stretching the calf muscles.

Best piece of advice: STRETCH YOUR REAR CHAIN

I used to have problems and stretching solved it. Let me put it this way, your shin splints are pain in a muscle. Now what does that muscle on your shin do? Well, point your toe, then pull it back. You will see that muscle flex. Soooooo if it is really hard to pull that toe up in between each step while running, then your shin muscle works hard and thus get overused! Thus, if you stretch the rear chain then the strain on your shins will diminish and they will heal!

I agree with Arramzy - stretch and facial release your posterior chain including hamstrings and claf’s

Also try some correct exercises such as -

standing on one leg with shoes and socks off
whilst balancing observe how active your tibialis anterior muscle is (observe the tendon at the front of the ankle)
if when balancing you see then tendon contracting and relaxing very frequently your tibialis anterior is overactive

your tibialus posterior needs stimulating - do the above exercise but rebalance your weight of the front of your foot and try to relax the tibialus anterior muscle. (its difficult i no but give it a try)

also ensure your massages include “indirect stripping” of the tibialus posterior along the medial side of the tibia

Hopefully this is a case of traction periostitis and not a case invovling a stress fracture of the tibia