Shin Hardening Techniques

The half tires are useful but you have to be careful of the sidewall. I injured the tendons in my ankle because the edge of the tire tore into it. You have to make sure it is going to hit only on the part of the shin you wat to condition. They are useful for Mai Geri also.

[quote]kumurick wrote:
We always used to kick a tire that we lag-bolted to a post, tree or wall. When you kick it hard enough, it bends but if you don’t kick it hard enough, it doesn’t give and actually hurts more.

It helps deaden the nerves and strengthen the bone…plus it’s just a neouro-psychological process of knowing exactly when to be prepared for pain and what kind it will be.

We even had a Makiwara that we kicked full power instead of punching and it took a while to get up to being able to do that.

Lastly, I’ll say that with all of the work that needs to go into attaining fairly reasonable goals in this area, it is all lost pretty damn quick if you don’t keep things going with the deadening techniques. For me it was a couple weeks and alot of feeling already had come back.

Now adays, I’m just used to how much it hurts…
[/quote]

How long had you done it beforehand and i thought it didn’t deaden the nerves but thicken the bone.

My Thai trainer gets me to hit my shins with a bottle. Hit the shin, don’t just roll the bottle on it. Start gently and slowly build the strength of the hits as the nerves deaden, bone strengthens or whatever actually happens :slight_smile:

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
So what do people with lives do instead of kicking a bag 1000x a day?[/quote]

Again with this trolling bullshit. Go the fuck away dickless.

Never did it for legs, but I’ve done it with my knuckles by doing pushups on cement.

I notice the skin is always rougher on them now, even if I don’t do the pushups for a long time and the callous goes down. Also, I never really regained the feeling- I can skip them for six months, then get down in the road and bang out 40 or 50 easy.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I asked my coach this, he supported my initial idea but gave me a way to break into it…

he said either buy an empty bag or get a canvas bag from an army surplus store. You can either hang it or lean it against something big and stable (Solid wall works).

He said have some ripped up cloth in there and mix sawdust with 1-2 cups of sand NOT MUCH.

Kick. A lot. 1000x a day if possible.

add more sand every month.

my shins are already conditioned, so he started me off on a bag he had that was mostly sand already and after about a month (basically last time this was brought up) I can kick that bag as hard as possible without any ill. And I only kick that bag MAYBE 500x a week.

I’ve gottened smacked on the shins pretty fucking hard and haven’t had any problems so i have to vouch for it’s legitimacy.

I just got a canvas bag, some sawdust and sand, and I’m making my own floor bag to lowkick.

You get two fold benefit… improved technique refinement and hardened shins[/quote]

Any chance of some photos of said bag and set up Xen???

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
My Thai trainer gets me to hit my shins with a bottle. Hit the shin, don’t just roll the bottle on it. Start gently and slowly build the strength of the hits as the nerves deaden, bone strengthens or whatever actually happens :-)[/quote]

One caveat to beating the bone with something, is using something that is harder than the bone. Because it can chip the bone or it can break up bone chips into smaller pieces.

The last thing you want is small pieces of bone floating around your body like shrapnel. If it migrates into a joint it will destroy it. If it gets into a vein or artery you will have big problems.

The thing I like for beating on bone is Rattan Escrima sticks. You can just wail away with that stuff without breaking up the bone.

What do you think of this: a small canvas bag about 10 in wide x 12 in tall filled with the cotton/sawdust/sand mixture. Suspend it from the ceiling and tether it to the floor, and make the height adjustable.

I’ve been thinking of doing this because I’d like to work on kicking height and accuracy, shin hardness, striking, and hand toughness.

Note: I’m not a fighter, but I do a few boxing drills as part of my fitness regimen. I don’t plan on taking up combat sports. I feel that holding your own in a fight is at least part of the reason any of us gets into training.

Sifu, you seem to have a good amount of knowledge on this subject. Do you think this would suit my goals?

I know a teacher who has some bags like that set up in his dojo. I think he used cement mix in them.

Excellent. I just happen to have everything I need to make one. Thanks.

Beating the shins with sticks or bottles is not a good idea, IMO. You’ll deaden the nerve for sure, but the bones won’t strengthen, so you won’t feel it when you kick your own leg in half on someone else’s leg. You need the bone density AND the pain tolerance, which is obtained from kicking the pads and bag.

For sure. Anything like hitting/rolling the shins should only be used as a supplement to vast amounts of bag and pad kicking, as they are by far the best shin conditioners.

Out of curiosity, do the boxers out here think that there are times when you should NOT wrap your wrist in order for your wrists to condition themselves to take force?

I think of the research, for instance, that has been done regarding belts and how they are detrimental in the long run in regards to squatting injuries.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
Out of curiosity, do the boxers out here think that there are times when you should NOT wrap your wrist in order for your wrists to condition themselves to take force?

I think of the research, for instance, that has been done regarding belts and how they are detrimental in the long run in regards to squatting injuries.[/quote]

In kyokushin we don’t use any gloves or wraps or anything.
I have had times where someone was kicking the bag on one side while i was punching it on the other. This would cause my wrist to bend for obvious reasons yet i never sustained injuries…at all…due to proper technique and always having to punch bare knuckled. Boxers punch really hard but i find their technique is pretty bad (hit with the wrong knuckles) and in the long run could cause you to break your hand in a bare knuckled fight.

Just something to consider if you’re gonna go down the anti-wrap road, aswell.

[quote]Fiction wrote:

I think of the research, for instance, that has been done regarding belts and how they are detrimental in the long run in regards to squatting injuries.[/quote]

Bas Rutten talks about this…he’s from a kyokushin background also. Fairly sure he doesn’t wear wraps 90% of the time.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Quinnthology wrote:
So what do people with lives do instead of kicking a bag 1000x a day?

Again with this trolling bullshit. Go the fuck away dickless.[/quote]

Shut up, it was a serious question. I don’t want to train all the time but I want hard shins. Go box.

[quote]OMC wrote:
Fiction wrote:

I think of the research, for instance, that has been done regarding belts and how they are detrimental in the long run in regards to squatting injuries.

Bas Rutten talks about this…he’s from a kyokushin background also. Fairly sure he doesn’t wear wraps 90% of the time.
[/quote]

Doesn’t he use a bitch slap more than a clenched fist?

FightinIrish26 wrote:
Quinnthology wrote:

Shut up, it was a serious question. I don’t want to train all the time but I want hard shins. Go box. [/quote]

In Irish’s defense, it did seem like a smartass question.

The people that put in the training time are the ones who have the edge. If you don’t want to train all the time, don’t. You can bag kick, say, 200x a day and get harder shins, but the guy who kicks 1000x a day is going to have an edge over you.

As far as Combat Sports is concerned, regarding your question:

Instead of kicking a bag 1000x per day, they lose fights.

FightinIrish26 wrote:
Quinnthology wrote:

Shut up, it was a serious question. I don’t want to train all the time but I want hard shins. Go box. [/quote]

I think there is a pill you can buy on the internet that makes you perfect in every conceivable way. If my sources are correct, it’s even having a 50% off sale for the next 72 hours.

Finished and mounted my bag. I actually like this thing just as much as my heavy bag.