Shifting onto Toes in the Deadlift

This is in reference to conventional, close to medium width stance.

I started noticing it a lot when over 4 plates on the deadlift (have switched to sumo recently because of a back injury, no such problem) and now one of my friends that is training with our little group started doing it as well- shifting onto the toes while pulling accompanied by quads shaking.

Possible causes, fixes? I just think it’s strange because I don’t have the same problem with squatting at all.

Are you pulling back from the start or are you getting the weight up and then pulling back? I’m guessing the latter.

Work towards the former.

[quote]Rape Weight wrote:
Are you pulling back from the start or are you getting the weight up and then pulling back? I’m guessing the latter.

Work towards the former.[/quote]

X2

Try wearing long pants and pulling the bar up and backward, all the while thinking “HEELS,HEELS,HEELS”

once you start bleeding the shins, problem solved

an easy fix is to pick up your toes as you drop your hips down. IF you do this it will force you weight on to your heels.

[quote]Flow wrote:
Rape Weight wrote:

Work towards the former.

X2

Try wearing long pants and pulling the bar up and backward, all the while thinking “HEELS,HEELS,HEELS”[/quote]

X3 Don’t try to pull the weight straight upwards, your movement should be as if someone is pulling your hips backwards, the weight will keep you leveled.

there’s a reason it’s call a Pull and not a Pickup.

Bloody shins it is then :smiley:

Thanks guys

Had the same problem 3-4weeks ago, Stretched hams/quads/hips/IT band a lot more, took shoes off and I now wear sweatpants whenever deadlifting.

Looking to the ceiling has helped me a lot. Gets me on my heels more and gives me a lot more hip drive on lockout.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Looking to the ceiling has helped me a lot. Gets me on my heels more and gives me a lot more hip drive on lockout.[/quote]

This has helped on squats too. Good suggestion.

Starting forward on the toes and finishing forward on the toes are two separate issues.

Starting forward on the foot is fine if you’re trying to get some more quad involvement, but at probably mid-shin with your pull you have to shift back on to the heels.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
Starting forward on the toes and finishing forward on the toes are two separate issues.

Starting forward on the foot is fine if you’re trying to get some more quad involvement, but at probably mid-shin with your pull you have to shift back on to the heels.[/quote]

This might be a matter of opinions, but I think it’s a lot better to simplify things and stick with focusing on the heels. Trying to shift from front-to-back disturbs the proper movement pattern and the last thing one needs when pulling heavy shit, is to worry about that as opposed as keeping perfect form throughout. If he wants more quad involvement, that’s what the squat is for…

Just my opinion.

I will second the stretching recommendation above and also add that if you REALLY can’t seem to get it, put your heels on some 10lb plates (assuming they won’t slide out from under you). This MAKES you drive through with the heels.

I’ve never scraped my shins and my best deadlift at 202 is 570. Maybe different builds have this issue, but not me.

[quote]m1sf1t wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Starting forward on the foot is fine if you’re trying to get some more quad involvement, but at probably mid-shin with your pull you have to shift back on to the heels.

This might be a matter of opinions, but I think it’s a lot better to simplify things and stick with focusing on the heels. Trying to shift from front-to-back disturbs the proper movement pattern and the last thing one needs when pulling heavy shit, is to worry about that as opposed as keeping perfect form throughout. If he wants more quad involvement, that’s what the squat is for…

Just my opinion.

[/quote]

I think you completely missed the point of that post with regards to the weight transfer from toes to heels.

I think you’re confusing quad involvement with quad development or else your point about quad involvement with squats makes about zero sense.

Involving the quads on a conventional pull at seperation from the floor is a technique that some both OLers and PLers use. These lifters can get more momentum started with their quads and then are able to transfer weight to their back half much more effectively and as a result have a better leverage to lift heavier weights.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Looking to the ceiling has helped me a lot. Gets me on my heels more and gives me a lot more hip drive on lockout.[/quote]

Agreed. Just be careful though, cause looking up too much will cause cervical hyperextension. Eric Cressey has a good example of this in one of his articles.

5 Common Technique Mistakes
How Little Problems Add Up
by Eric Cressey

Just quick search this and you should find it.

Also, I found that pointing my toes straight forward helps with pulling from my heels and locking out my hips in conventional stance deadlifting. Don’t know your foot placement, but if it is 45 degrees out, try pointing them straight.

what shoes do you deadlift in?