Shift Work, Gyno, Possible Need for HRT?

Hey everyone ,

Definitely a bit outside my realm of comfort posting all this publicly, but in hoping I can get some intelligent responses here for my particular situation

Background
Age 25
Occupation - paramedic
Medication history - none ! Two bodybuilding shows as a “natural” bodybuilder. Never have touched a hormone altering substance

Everything was going great for me this winter , I finally nabbed my position as a paramedic, which I’ve been planning to keep as my career focus . My current job position with the company I work for is a "casual " position. Although this means I can take as much time off as needed, it also means there is no real structure to my work schedule , and many times am fatigued by night shifts running over 12 hours and having no solid sleep schedule. However also there are many nights where I am not busy and am able to catch sleep during my shift . There is no rhyme or reason to how I get my hours one week could be 4 consecutive nights at 3 different bases in our province ( lots of driving just to get to work )and the next week could be 5 day shifts . (All shifts are 12 hours but frequently can run way over depending on how the shift runs).

Sometime in March I started to feel a pain in my left nipple , at the time I disregarded this ( I wish I had seen a dr ASAP now) . Basically at this time I was at the peak of my "bulking " phase (where I was about 28 lbs over last contest weight ) and decided I would switch gears and do a dieting phase. Before the dieting phase had even started the pain in the nipple had subsided and I could tell some sort of growth had formed. I was t sure what to do here except for carry out my mini diet and see what happened with the lump after I had lost some fat . As I researched gynecomastia I learned way more and realized the only way to remove it wad thru surgery, and that instances of gynocomastia were common for overweight teens and in older men with decreasing levels of testosterone. Me being a healthy , natural , 25 year old I certainly didn’t fit the bill . However to add to this , growing up I believe I also had a bit of gyno from puberty( you can see a small amount in my profile pic, on the right side )

Since this has all happened I’ve seen a surgeon and I have a surgery date to remove the gyno, and I’ve also booked an appointment with my doctor where I will get blood work done to see how I stand currently.

The kicker here is that , if things in my blood are obviously off and I have to go on some sort of medication to correct the problem , I can’t compete in natural federations any more , as any sort of hormone altering substance is going to be banned. This sucks for me because it was a goal of mine to win an overall at a natural show , but in reality might not be hard for me to give up , if going on medication improves my overall health and we’ll being .

So my questions for the group are :

1-would getting on trt for someone who is going be doing shift work the rest of his life be beneficial ? I personally believe if I didn’t have this schedule I’d be 100 percent fine , my blood work might even come back 100 percent fine as if I say i take a week off work , get on a normal sleep routine, I feel awesome. But changing careers now isn’t something I’m willing to do , as I do love my job.

2- anyone have any guesses why I all of a sudden got gyno? I know the “bulking” part of the story may raise an eyebrow or two of suspicion , but when I think of logically , I’ve been waaaaaaaayyyy fatter Before with zero of these issues .

Very odd case/story I know , I hope some of you can take the time to read this and type back a response !

Well reading this forum lately I realize with out lab results really nothing I write means shit

That being said went to a walk in clinic today to try and get blood work and the doctor wouldn’t even check off any of the endocrine markers because he said I didn’t need any of those tests , and that he couldn’t justify a reason for them to be done .

Lol what a waste of time

Thinking about this from a different angle

Reading more off this forum I’m starting to think my hormone levels might be more balanced then I think , as I don’t seem to notice many of the same symptoms of low t that many people list here, especially feel very good very fast when I don’t work many night shifts.Reading and finding out more about hrt , it is definitely a somewhat expensive and most likely is a life time commitment (since I don’t have insurance , even if I was to find a doctor to perscribe the right protocol , I’d have to pay for test, hcg, anti es).

Really what I should be doing is just avoid picking up night shifts , and work overall less hours. Yes I will make less money this way , but trashing my natural hormone production by working odd hours and then paying for hrt is so foolish I’m amazed I even created this scenario in my head. If I ever decide to use steroids to enhance my bodybuilding and want to blast/cruise for life , that would be a different scenario .

The only thing that i still don’t understand is how I got gyno at 25 while being on no steroids , or testosterone replacement . Could it be a possibly my estrogen was out of whack for a short period enough to cause the gyno ? I’ll never ever know because I didn’t get blood work when I had the pain at my nipple , but if anyone wants to take a guess at how that could of happened , I’d love to know.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

Reading more off this forum I’m starting to think my hormone levels might be more balanced then I think , as I don’t seem to notice many of the same symptoms of low t that many people list here, especially feel very good very fast when I don’t work many night shifts.Reading and finding out more about hrt , it is definitely a somewhat expensive and most likely is a life time commitment (since I don’t have insurance , even if I was to find a doctor to perscribe the right protocol , I’d have to pay for test, hcg, anti es).

Really what I should be doing is just avoid picking up night shifts , and work overall less hours. Yes I will make less money this way , but trashing my natural hormone production by working odd hours and then paying for hrt is so foolish I’m amazed I even created this scenario in my head. If I ever decide to use steroids to enhance my bodybuilding and want to blast/cruise for life , that would be a different scenario .

The only thing that i still don’t understand is how I got gyno at 25 while being on no steroids , or testosterone replacement . Could it be a possibly my estrogen was out of whack for a short period enough to cause the gyno ? I’ll never ever know because I didn’t get blood work when I had the pain at my nipple , but if anyone wants to take a guess at how that could of happened , I’d love to know.[/quote]

Hi.

Edit: I misread so you can ignore my points of view what i typed to you about trt.

Hehe I had mirth when you said in earlier post about not anything in here mattering a shit without lab results. It’s true though it’s always pure speculation without numbers. :slight_smile:

You’re apparently highly athletic person.

You propably feel the night shifts even more strongly than normal gym rat. Casual night shifts really doesn’t make that kind of difference to you hormonally to even consider trt. If you’d always do 12 hours and get little sleep and nutrition, then for sure the end result would most likely be decrease in your testosterone production.

It’s still good to understand that it is totally possible you’ve had a lot of hormonal imbalances even when being natural, even when gaining muscle and continuously progressing strength wise too. I’ve lifted most of the same weights without trt as with the trt. Diet and training program seemed to make a lot more difference, to me personally.

Trt wouldn’t really help you with the night shift dilemma that you’d felt fresh and a beast. Your rest requirements and other things still needs to be adressed the same way as fully natural or you’ll definitely feel it.

Also when you’re not experiencing low testosterone it’s very likely you would feel anything different to your current state, specially not knowing any of your current stats. You could even end up having lower testosterone value than you have naturally, you’re only 25.

If you drop it however ( if you haven’t used any hcg, serm, ai ) you will definitely know the difference between low and normal testosterone level.
I have experienced it when i had to change from Gel to injection.

About the gyno, it’s impossible to tell.
Even the best and most expensive doctors in the world cannot tell you 100% the cause because in “lords year 2015” the development of gyno is still not fully understood. Also, you would have to have labs from seriously long period of your life.

We know that hormonal imbalances are one reason, and most often is the case with our forum users. Other reason widely accepted is overweight. These are just the main few causes out of many possible. If you’ve been overweight and had drastic change, that could be the cause. But as i said it’s impossible to tell I could copy paste you a lot of possible reason but then you really would have to go by “pick one” ideology and it might not have been the reason.

[quote]Divyx wrote:

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

The only thing that i still don’t understand is how I got gyno at 25 while being on no steroids , or testosterone replacement . Could it be a possibly my estrogen was out of whack for a short period enough to cause the gyno ? I’ll never ever know because I didn’t get blood work when I had the pain at my nipple , but if anyone wants to take a guess at how that could of happened , I’d love to know.[/quote]

Hi.

Edit: I misread so you can ignore my points of view what i typed to you about trt.

Hehe I had mirth when you said in earlier post about not anything in here mattering a shit without lab results. It’s true though it’s always pure speculation without numbers. :slight_smile:

You’re apparently highly athletic person.

You propably feel the night shifts even more strongly than normal gym rat. Casual night shifts really doesn’t make that kind of difference to you hormonally to even consider trt. If you’d always do 12 hours and get little sleep and nutrition, then for sure the end result would most likely be decrease in your testosterone production.

It’s still good to understand that it is totally possible you’ve had a lot of hormonal imbalances even when being natural, even when gaining muscle and continuously progressing strength wise too. I’ve lifted most of the same weights without trt as with the trt. Diet and training program seemed to make a lot more difference, to me personally.

Trt wouldn’t really help you with the night shift dilemma that you’d felt fresh and a beast. Your rest requirements and other things still needs to be adressed the same way as fully natural or you’ll definitely feel it.

Also when you’re not experiencing low testosterone it’s very likely you would feel anything different to your current state, specially not knowing any of your current stats. You could even end up having lower testosterone value than you have naturally, you’re only 25.

If you drop it however ( if you haven’t used any hcg, serm, ai ) you will definitely know the difference between low and normal testosterone level.
I have experienced it when i had to change from Gel to injection.

About the gyno, it’s impossible to tell.
Even the best and most expensive doctors in the world cannot tell you 100% the cause because in “lords year 2015” the development of gyno is still not fully understood. Also, you would have to have labs from seriously long period of your life.

We know that hormonal imbalances are one reason, and most often is the case with our forum users. Other reason widely accepted is overweight. These are just the main few causes out of many possible. If you’ve been overweight and had drastic change, that could be the cause. But as i said it’s impossible to tell I could copy paste you a lot of possible reason but then you really would have to go by “pick one” ideology and it might not have been the reason.[/quote]

Helpful post , thank you very much. I guess I just have to get comfortable that the cause of gyno is something I’ll never know. I remember at the time I felt it was definitely due to me being fatter then what is normal for me, even though that state was leaner than many. Meeting my new doctor tomorrow , I’m hoping he will be open to doing blood work with endocrine values on a semi regular basis so I can see what’s up !