T Nation

Shieko Program Questions/Help

Hi all i am currently doing #29 program and wanted to ask you all some questions.

For the Deadlift it say “Deadlift to knees” now what is this supposed to mean exactly what it says or does it mean something like RDLs or some other variation.

Also Deadlift from pins i was doing this just below the knee is that correct?i find this is the best position.The other thing is i dont have any boxes to do the deadlift on and i know this is required in week 2 i was thinking of just doing some more pin work or something?

I see this program also doesnt have any direct back work so i decided to put in some chins/pullups here and there what have you guys been doing?i would think many are customising it alot however dont want to change it too much as i guess every exercise serves a purpose.

Any other advice would be great guys,must say its dam hard work especailly if you are still sore from the previous workout.

Deadlift to knees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lbbDWRaZpE

Deadlift from pins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VuFm8dkkHE

I do 5x5 of chins, pull ups or barbell rows. I also dropped the volume on deadlifts. I didn’t find that the deadlift to knees and rack pulls were helping me very much, so I dropped them.

It’s funny how the same questions keep coming up again and again about sheiko (not saying it’s a bad thing). Someone really needs to right an FAQ on it. I know Al Caslow has written fairly extensively about how he’s cycled his training and adapted the traditional sheiko template to include westside and metal milita style work.

Anyway’s on your questions…

deadlifts to knees = pull the bar to your knees from the floor, pause and then go back to the ground. That’s a rep.

deadlifts from pins = rack pulls

deadlifts off boxes = deficit deadlifts (ie stand on plates or use 35’s)

As for back work, I use some form of pulldown/row/chin up as a warm up on all the days, maybe 3-5x12 with moderate weight. Then I used to either do some face pulls or dumbbell powercleans supersetted with the flys. You could also do this at the end of the workout instead if you wanted.

Hope that helps.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
It’s funny how the same questions keep coming up again and again about sheiko (not saying it’s a bad thing). Someone really needs to right an FAQ on it. I know Al Caslow has written fairly extensively about how he’s cycled his training and adapted the traditional sheiko template to include westside and metal milita style work.

Anyway’s on your questions…

deadlifts to knees = pull the bar to your knees from the floor, pause and then go back to the ground. That’s a rep.

deadlifts from pins = rack pulls

deadlifts off boxes = deficit deadlifts (ie stand on plates or use 35’s)

As for back work, I use some form of pulldown/row/chin up as a warm up on all the days, maybe 3-5x12 with moderate weight. Then I used to either do some face pulls or dumbbell powercleans supersetted with the flys. You could also do this at the end of the workout instead if you wanted.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks alot for your help.

About the faq?its a good idea why dont you all do it as this type of program is getting very popular.

Also about the percentages how did you all work it out?do you actually hit exactly 80% of your 1rep max or do around that percentage?

Also whats the best way to work it out?

[quote]THEWARRIOR wrote:
Also about the percentages how did you all work it out?do you actually hit exactly 80% of your 1rep max or do around that percentage?

Also whats the best way to work it out?[/quote]

Lots of answers to this one…

I personally would say, use your actual recent one rep max or a number you’re sure you can get right now, when you’r starting with the cycle at least. As you progress if you do more sheiko programs you’ll get an idea of whether you need to up or down the percentages.

AFAIK, rack/pin pulls and pulls off boxes are supposed to be calculated by using your deadlift max and the difference in movements is taken care of by higher reps in the former and less intensity in the latter.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
THEWARRIOR wrote:

Also whats the best way to work it out?

Lots of answers to this one…

I personally would say, use your actual recent one rep max or a number you’re sure you can get right now, when you’r starting with the cycle at least. As you progress if you do more sheiko programs you’ll get an idea of whether you need to up or down the percentages.

AFAIK, rack/pin pulls and pulls off boxes are supposed to be calculated by using your deadlift max and the difference in movements is taken care of by higher reps in the former and less intensity in the latter.[/quote]

Thanks for the hell dude you have been great.