Shelby Starnes Carb Cycle

Weight: 213
Height: 5’11
Years training 3
Juggernaut Method

I have been toying with the idea to lean out and decided to go with Shelby Starnes Macronutrient ebook on Carb Cycling. Aftering reading it hear is what I have for a fat loss carb cycling program:

High days (1): 425g CHO
245g PRO
As little fat as possible
2950 Cal est.

Moderate day (3): 265g CHO
265g PRO
30g FAT
2407 cal est.

Low day (3): 100g CHO
265g PRO
75g FAT
2135 cal est.

I am currently doing the 14 day split from Juggernaut Method. My high day would be on my squat day, 3 moderates on bench, deads, and press day. Low days on off/Steady state cardio days.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a good start (assuming you took the #s straight from the book). Run it for a week or two and see what happens. If you make progress then you have the right numbers.
For what it’s worth, I generally use a carb cycling approach and as I start eliminating more carbs I like to take them 1st from the low day until it gets pretty low and then from the medium day. I like to keep the high day for the same for the most part and maybe lower overall calories or even switch it to medium carb day depending on how things go.

Depending on you level this may be stating the obvious, but try to get you carbs on teh medium days mostly around your workout i.e few hours before/after.

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:
Looks like a good start (assuming you took the #s straight from the book). Run it for a week or two and see what happens. If you make progress then you have the right numbers.
For what it’s worth, I generally use a carb cycling approach and as I start eliminating more carbs I like to take them 1st from the low day until it gets pretty low and then from the medium day. I like to keep the high day for the same for the most part and maybe lower overall calories or even switch it to medium carb day depending on how things go.

Depending on you level this may be stating the obvious, but try to get you carbs on teh medium days mostly around your workout i.e few hours before/after.[/quote]

Do you use carb cycling for fat loss or mass? I appreciate it, I will definately keep my carbs around training on moderate days. As for High and low days, do you carb timing makes a difference besides the post workout carbs on High days? I have heard to avoid carbs in the first meal and visa versa, any insight?

Too penstate: Interesting concept.I was wondering how maticulous you have to be,or is it layed out in the protocal? I am 53 and an ex competitive bodybuilder.In my competitive day’s we used the moderate slow carb diet,orlifestyle.WE carb loaded one day a week(JUnk Food) say sunday.That provided good energy for your compound lift’s like squat’s.Squat’s are no fun,and or impossible on Low carb.Where can i find the layout of this nutritional plan,as it’s interesting. thank you johnny

looks fine, give it a try

[quote]pennstate29 wrote:

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:

Depending on you level this may be stating the obvious, but try to get you carbs on teh medium days mostly around your workout i.e few hours before/after.[/quote]

Do you use carb cycling for fat loss or mass? I appreciate it, I will definately keep my carbs around training on moderate days. As for High and low days, do you carb timing makes a difference besides the post workout carbs on High days? I have heard to avoid carbs in the first meal and visa versa, any insight? [/quote]

I’ve used it for fat loss, it can be used easily for mass, right now I’m really just using it to maintain. For the high days timing doesn’t make much of a difference.
Regarding avoiding or having carbs in the first meal, it depend who you ask. From what I’ve read John Meadows says no, and Shelby’s books are a few years old so I’m not sure if he’s changed his mind. I don’t have them unless I’m lifting in the morning.
For medium days I aim for a carb meal before, carbs intrawork and then a carb meal or two post-workout.