Shekio FAQ

Sheiko FAQ

Sheiko: pronounced “Shay-koh”

Sheiko routines typically take 2.0h to 2.5h depending on the amount of equipment used, volume during that week and your ability to recover.

General Philosophy:

If you can get your hands on a copy of Sheikoâ??s book, you would find that the general philosophy of the routine is to not do what sheiko did, but to make the routine your own. People do not understand this principle and feel that they have to adhere to the way the routine was set up. This applies to all forms of the routine, Borisâ??s or EFSâ??s.

The routine is based around working with 80% of your max over a longer period of time and getting used to handling this much weight for an extended period. While 80% is heavy enough to challenge a lifter, it will not cause a quick burn out and that level of effort can be sustained for years as long as some deload and proper rest/nutrition is applied correctly. The routine can even be described as a powerlifting adaption of an eastern Olympic Weightlifting routine. I believe this to be true if you look at the loading scheme.

You can find EFSâ??s routines here:
http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/

You can find the first 4 chapters of Sheikoâ??s book here:
http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/Sheiko_book.htm

Boris Sheiko’s List of SPP:

SQUAT

SUPPLEMENTAL

Pause Sq
Box Sq
Fr Box Sq
DE Sq
Slow Sq
Front Sq
Wide Front Sq

DEVELOPMENTAL

Zercher Lunge
Front Lunge
Hack Lunge
Duck Foot Sq
Negative Sq
Belt Sq
Sq Lockouts
Crouch Sq ?
Sq with Chains
Smith Machine Sq
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Ham Curls
Sq Jumps
Depth Jumps
Box Jumps
Calf Raises
Snatch Grip High Pulls
Snatch Grip High Pulls from Boxes
Seated High Pulls ?
Hyperextensions/Weighted in various ways
Seated GM

BENCH

SUPPLEMENTAL

Wide Grip High-touch Bench
Medium Grip Bench
Close Grip Bench
Bench over Foam (arch)
Flat Back Bench
Slow Bench
3-5 sec Pause Bench
Rvs Grip Bench
DE Bench
Negatives
Lockouts
Bench with Chains

DEVELOPMENTAL

Incline Bench (high touch)
Decline Bench (low touch)
Incline OHP
OHP
Behind-the-neck Press
Push Press
Seated OHP
Seated Behind-the-neck Press
Alternate DB OHP Standing
Alternate DB OHP Seated
DB Bench
Nosebreakers
Pec Deck
Flyes
Incline Flyes
Weighted Dips
Weighted Pushups
Wide Grip Weighted Pushups
Bench Dips
Pushdowns
Curls

DEADLIFT

SUPPLEMENTAL

Defecit DL
Pulls to Knees
Pause Pulls to Knees
Pulls to Knees + finish
Pulls to Knees + Mid Thigh (2 Stops)
Pulls from Boxes + Slow Eccentric
Pulls from Boxes (BTK)
DL Lockouts
Pulls from High Boxes (ATK)
Snatch Grip Pulls from Boxes

DEVELOPMENTAL

Snatch Grip Pulls
Pulls with Chains
High Pulls
Shrugs
Belt Sqs
Seated Pulls ?
GM�?�¢??s
Stiff Leg GM�?�¢??s
Seated GM�?�¢??s
Hyperextensions/Weighted Hypers
Roman Chair Situp
Decline Situp
Leg Raises

PM ME and I will add any other useful information.

I’m bumping this because I’m getting a few PMs concerning Sheiko.

If you guys have questions, please ask me to post them here or something. As well, others can help as well. I don’t know a lot about sheiko either, so you never know, I could easily learn something from you guys and most likely will.

Anyone know where I can find boris’s complete book, in english? or a log for wade hooper or eric talmant?

I thought eric has a log on EFS. I haven’t looked, but I thought he had something.

Hooper posts his workouts on youtube. I’ve come across his posts on other forums.

I’d kill to read all of Boris’s book (translated) instead of just the first 4 chapters. I can’t find it.

I’m starting Sheiko 37 soon but with some Upper back/delts/bis work added on Saturday, could I add mass while on sheiko? I’ll be on a caloric surplus as well as on cycle.

Thoughts?

I added mass, from 165 to 193 while doing sheiko. I’ve also managed to cut weight while maintaining strength as well. Its all in how you eat and how well you know your body.

I’ve adde din a LOT of higher rep (not light weight though) work for rows, curls, etc and I’ve put a lot of mass on my back, legs (focuses on hamstrings mostly) and arms (biceps were lagging).

It can be done easily if you know your body, eat and recover properly. I bet you can do a lot more volume than me, so you just have to figure it out.

I added mass, from 165 to 193 while doing sheiko. I’ve also managed to cut weight while maintaining strength as well. Its all in how you eat and how well you know your body.

I’ve adde din a LOT of higher rep (not light weight though) work for rows, curls, etc and I’ve put a lot of mass on my back, legs (focuses on hamstrings mostly) and arms (biceps were lagging).

It can be done easily if you know your body, eat and recover properly. I bet you can do a lot more volume than me, so you just have to figure it out.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:

It can be done easily if you know your body, eat and recover properly. I bet you can do a lot more volume than me, so you just have to figure it out.[/quote]
Those are some nice gains right there, especially for a strength program.
Yes I just wasn’t sure as there is high volume constantly (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) for the same muscles.
I’m prepping for a meet with Sheiko, will surely annihilate.

Thanks for replying bro

Synthetic, feel free to delete this if it isn’t appropriate for the FAQ:

I tested my lifts today after running 29/37/37. I decided against running 32, because it seems silly to spend a month peaking if I’m not preparing for a competition. Anyway, here are the results:

Squat: Got a very solid 105%. My form was better than it ever has been. Sheiko definitely works for my squat.

Bench: Got an ass-in-the-air, 105% grinder (after a very speedy 95%). My arms were incredibly shaky, and the bar seemed to stop midway for at least five seconds. On top of this, I pulled my hamstring. I increased all the bench percentages by 5% in training.

Deadlift: This gets tricky. I switched from conventional to sumo in my second-to-last week of training, because my low back couldn’t handle the volume of all the pulls and squats. All of my sumo pulls are fast off the floor, but never seem fully locked out - that is, my shoulders always seem to be too far forward. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong, form-wise, as I was always under the impression that sumo should be easier to lock out. Anyway, I got 105% off the ground without trouble, and it felt almost completely locked out, but still just too far forward. I’d really like to figure out how to fix this, as I feel like the strength is there to finish these pulls. Maybe doing a few full cycles with sumo will be enough to remedy this.

To sum up: I added 55 pounds to my total (counting the not-quite-comp-legal bench and pull) after having lost 12 pounds of bodyweight.

So now I need to figure out how to fix the weak points for my bench and sumo pull. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.