Sheiko Works!

badass, I can’t wait to try this. And I’m going into the Anabolic Diet as well with a 4000+ cal intake. I would like to end up with over 315 on my bench, over 425 on my deads and over 365 on my squat at under 85kg

I agree with Matt. I’m in my third month of Sheiko and I am leaner now then when I started, and stronger too. However, as for scale weight it’s up about 2lbs. Which only sucks because I have to lose it by next Saturday to make my weight class.

I didn’t gain any weight while on it but I did get a little leaner. I actually decided to diet for one week before starting Sheiko to try and make the 181 lb weight class for a meet on Nov 22nd.

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
joburnet wrote:
I finished up the 4 week #29 Sheiko program on Friday and then tested my maxes this week. My results were:

5 lb PR on Bench @ 275
30 lb PR on Squat @ 365
25 lb PR on Dead @ 425

I’m pretty damn happy with that and I’m going to start the program again on Monday with the new numbers. Only difference is rather then doing 5x5 flies I’m going to alternate between flies and incline bench.

I ran it once and got 20 on bench, 25 squat, and 30 deadlift

I also gained like 10 pounds heh.

I’m guessing running this type of program for a long time is going to require a lot of weight gain, and be greatly facilitated by anabolics[/quote]

Ran the sheiko cycle, first 4 weeks only, over and over again for a year now w/ a 1 week break in between cycles.

No steroids needed. I gained about 15 lbs, but I was actually trying to gain weight. I put 110 lbs on my squat in less equipment, moved my bench up 40 lbs and actually hit a PR on deadlift after being stuck for years.

Stop hating…

Whether or not it was designed specifically for the purpose of bettering a lifter at a certain weight class, and continuing to build upon his strength while maintaining similar bodyweight, I don’t know. But this does seem to be the case for most lifters I know on Sheiko, as well as most Russian IPF lifters training under Boris.

If you examine the specifics of this program you will see its not designed with hypertrophy in mind.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
actionjeff wrote:
joburnet wrote:
I finished up the 4 week #29 Sheiko program on Friday and then tested my maxes this week. My results were:

5 lb PR on Bench @ 275
30 lb PR on Squat @ 365
25 lb PR on Dead @ 425

I’m pretty damn happy with that and I’m going to start the program again on Monday with the new numbers. Only difference is rather then doing 5x5 flies I’m going to alternate between flies and incline bench.

I ran it once and got 20 on bench, 25 squat, and 30 deadlift

I also gained like 10 pounds heh.

I’m guessing running this type of program for a long time is going to require a lot of weight gain, and be greatly facilitated by anabolics

Ran the sheiko cycle, first 4 weeks only, over and over again for a year now w/ a 1 week break in between cycles.

No steroids needed. I gained about 15 lbs, but I was actually trying to gain weight. I put 110 lbs on my squat in less equipment, moved my bench up 40 lbs and actually hit a PR on deadlift after being stuck for years.

Stop hating…
[/quote]

hey, I had good results on the program and put on good muscle and a ton of strength. It was a good shock to my system. And obviously most programs are going to be facilitated by steroids especially when recovery is a major issue, that doesn’t make them necessary, was just an observation.

I wasn’t aware that many people were maintaining weight and that is pretty surprising and interesting to me

Not sure why you think that was meant as a negative comment, but it wasn’t. Not hating at all! I will possibly start running it again next year.

bump a bump

any of you guys mind sharing if you made any modifications to the bench press percents and what they were?

I’m thinking of rerunning this monster soon.

-Jeff

+5% for the bench is what I did. Seemed to work ok.

Note to self: Do Sheiko.

Your guys’ progress is inspiring, I’ll have to give it a go after my next 2 training cycles. Good luck with your next cycle OP.

I’m considering using sheiko for a while

What does everyone think about replacing flies with a shoulder or tricep exercise?

I really don’t think I need to do anything more for my chest on top of the bench, incline bench and dips. (my chest and back grow and get stronger much easier than my arms, shoulders and quads)

Good work on all the PRs, and well done getting them all at once! i find it hard to hit a PR in all 3 lifts in one day… unfortunately for me, because i had a comp today.

i was planning on starting that program #29 next week. Question about how you used the program: how hard did you push yourself on the non powerlifting exercises (Weighted pushups/dips/lunges?) did you use the same weight all sets? and how long did the workouts take you?

[quote]Lancey wrote:

What does everyone think about replacing flies with a shoulder or tricep exercise?

I really don’t think I need to do anything more for my chest on top of the bench, incline bench and dips. (my chest and back grow and get stronger much easier than my arms, shoulders and quads)[/quote]

I enjoyed the flies. Nice pump and felt like they improved my recovery from the benching volume, maybe help with injury prevention too. I also ran the program exactly as it said as far as pretty much everything, except adjusting my squat % a couple times up and once down mid session.

I was wondering about the additional shoulder work too. The prep cycle I used has only two days in the month prep period with 5x5 BTN press. I think the issue would be additional work interfering with recovery for all the benching. I would also probably add some upper back and lats work at some point because I love my weighted chins and 1-arm rows, and it’s a lot to add into a program that’s already high volume

found this thread from a couple months ago:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/sheiko_thread

man typing about this is getting me psyched to hit that 6x3 again. workouts took me a good 1.5-2 hours but they were damn satisfying. I doubt I’ll have anything close to the gains as last time but we’ll see come new year.

[quote]Lancey wrote:

I really don’t think I need to do anything more for my chest on top of the bench, incline bench and dips. (my chest and back grow and get stronger much easier than my arms, shoulders and quads)[/quote]

I think the flyes are there for a reason. You get a nice stretch at the bottom position, and you’re not supposed to do them too heavy anyways. The bench will probably work the triceps and shoulders enough. You should at least just run the program exactly as prescribed once. If it doesn’t work the way you want it too, then you can change things up a little the next time you do sheiko.

Thanks for the advice and the link to the other thread
I think I’ll probably hold off on sheiko for a while in favour of a program where i can have more focus on shoulders and triceps

I bumped my bench max up by 5% at the beginning. My raw, paused comp legal bench has went from 290 to 350ish (skills evaluation is in a week or two, but my training max is up around 360) over the past 6 months or so doing Sheiko prep cycles and I’m still able to make 220. I did not do any of the flyes, though in retrospect I don’t think they are a bad idea because I wound up straining my pec and had to miss out on benching for 3 or 4 weeks.

I did overhead pressing during that time which was enough to maintain my bench strength once I fully rehabbed it. I DO ABSOLUTELY suggest fitting upper back into the program, be it on off days or substituted in for flyes on workout days. Your shoulders will thank you, and yes many of the Russians do back work, but it is considered GPP for powerlifting (which it is) and not written in.

To the person who asked about how hard to push yourself on assistance, that was a daily call. Generally, nothing was taken to failure or close to failure. Just get the sets and reps in.

Also, ChaseT made this fucking awesome spreadsheet. It has all the Sheiko templates floating around, from the one’s Talmant posted to ones we found and translated from Sheiko’s old website and some Russian powerlifting forums, and the Hooper MSIC programs:

http://rapidshare.com/files/140132973/Sheiko_Spreadsheet_2008.08.25.xls.html

It has volume, intensity, and NL calcs so you can compare them next to each other.

Bump for advice.

I will be finishing Stephan Korte’s 3x3, 8-week program in 2 weeks and I’m considering following up with Sheiko #29.

I found a great spreadsheet to calculate weights but noticed there are no weights or percentages listed on Day 1 for Flyes and Good Mornings, on Day 2 for Incline Bench and Lunges, and on Day 3 for Flyes and Good Mornings.

Is their a typical percentage of your 1RM that shouldd should use on these lifts, or do you simply pick a load you can handle for 5 sets?

A link to the spreadsheet for reference:

http://www.ampedtraining.com/files/Sheiko29.xls

Just pick a load you can handle.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
Bump for advice.

I will be finishing Stephan Korte’s 3x3, 8-week program in 2 weeks and I’m considering following up with Sheiko #29.

I found a great spreadsheet to calculate weights but noticed there are no weights or percentages listed on Day 1 for Flyes and Good Mornings, on Day 2 for Incline Bench and Lunges, and on Day 3 for Flyes and Good Mornings.

Is their a typical percentage of your 1RM that shouldd should use on these lifts, or do you simply pick a load you can handle for 5 sets?

A link to the spreadsheet for reference:

http://www.ampedtraining.com/files/Sheiko29.xls

[/quote]

PR:

My understanding is that these are supposed to be done fairly light, not to exhaustion. They’re considered GPP, the weight you use doesn’t really matter but shouldn’t interfere with your main lifts.

How did you make out on the 3x3 plan?

edit: ramo and donut said it better :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Ramo wrote:

PR:

My understanding is that these are supposed to be done fairly light, not to exhaustion. They’re considered GPP, the weight you use doesn’t really matter but shouldn’t interfere with your main lifts.

How did you make out on the 3x3 plan?

[/quote]

Ramo,

The 3x3 Program has been a tremendous success by all accounts. I followed the 1st 4-weeks to the letter as you suggested. The first 2 weeks beat the hell out of me but my body adapted. I was sleeping by 9:00 every night and eating like a horse. Some days I felt completely wiped, but pushed through every workout.

I’ve had to adjust Phase II a bit. It simply didn’t seem like enough volume and I was finishing the workout in 30 minutes. I’ve added sets and rep ranges even with the elevated weights - Phase I was truly a strength builder.

I gained 11 solid pounds of lean mass (from 216 - 227lbs) in 4 weeks; all packed on my quads, glutes, back, and throughout the shoulder girdle.

Loved the program… Looking forward to Sheiko.