Sheiko Type Program Questions

My take on sheiko assistance work, like the good mornings on squat day and the flies on bench day are that they are more or less stretching and flexibility work, thats why there is no prescribed loading on those lifts. By the time you’ve completed your reps on the big exercises you are likely in no position to really move much weight in the good mornings.

I think the single leg work on deadlift day is just the best spot to put it in during the week. This also seems to be the day where other various upper body assistance lifts are rotated in ie: inclines, shoulder press.

[quote]redroast wrote:
My take on sheiko assistance work, like the good mornings on squat day and the flies on bench day are that they are more or less stretching and flexibility work, thats why there is no prescribed loading on those lifts. By the time you’ve completed your reps on the big exercises you are likely in no position to really move much weight in the good mornings.

I think the single leg work on deadlift day is just the best spot to put it in during the week. This also seems to be the day where other various upper body assistance lifts are rotated in ie: inclines, shoulder press. [/quote]

I have seen where Sheiko has recommended ~40% of raw squat for good mornings, and 10% of raw bench for db flyes. Weights that probably wouldn’t feel too heavy for most people which goes along with the “stretching and flexibility work” you refer to.

If i was to substitute the 2nd set of squats on the double squat day for box squats, what % of 1rm would be recommended/suggested?

[quote]vinscay wrote:
If i was to substitute the 2nd set of squats on the double squat day for box squats, what % of 1rm would be recommended/suggested?[/quote]

If you have any idea of your box squat max you could just use the percentages that are called for. So it just depends on how good you are at box squats. If you haven’t box squatted much, you could use an estimated max that is 10% below your squat max and move it up if/when appropriate. In the end, best to play it by feel.

I have done this quite a bit. It really doesn’t matter that much. You are basically treating it like a supplementary movement, and since you are only doing it once a week, just get the reps in. I would probably just shoot for 4 or 5 sets of triples (or whatever the plan called for that day) at whatever I could comfortably do.