Sheiko Deadlift to Knees

Simple question:

“deadlift to knees”

Lock-out or no?

I’ve checked past threads but have found conflicting information, so can someone in the know please confirm it for me. Cheers!

question is, what do you need

[quote]Terry Gibbs wrote:
question is, what do you need

[/quote]
To know whether you pause the lift at the knees then return the bar to the floor, or if you pause at the knees then lock it out :slight_smile:

Hey panzerfaust, I’ve looked into sheiko quite a bit lately and I’m pretty sure it’s paused at the knees and then the lift is finished. ie. you actually lockout the lift after pausing at the knees. This comes from some champion powerlifters from some Australian forums, guys that squat mid 300kg.

I had the same debate, but sheiko always pairs dl2k with dl from the pins/blocks, thereby completing the ROM, so I went with that. Dl to the knees, not paused at “the.”
Sheiko is surprisingly logical.

I do a program that is sheiko based and there are Deadlift to knees worked in. According to the guy who wrote my program dl2k is exactly that. From the floor to the knees then back down. No pause or continuing to lockout. The purpose is to help develop speed off the floor.

it’s pull to the knees and return to the floor, pausing at the knees and finishing are a Mike Tucsherer thing, that are still good, but in this case it’s to the knees, return to the floor.

Glad to see you giving them a go man

When I tried to figure this out when I was doing Sheiko, I concluded they were halting deadlifts (i.e., pause at the knees and complete the lift).

I don’t follow sheiko but I have recently incorporated them about every other week and I prefer about 3 reps up to just mid knee and returned tocthe ground then I finish with one full Rep. I have found it really hammers into my head to push with my legs as oppossed to pulling with my back.

Sheiko is hard to research because it’s not an actual program. Just do your deadlifts the way they would benefit your needs the most.

I would pause and finish the lift by locking out, I feel it creates a mental sticking point by not completing the lift and the whole point of it is to get you accustomed to locking out when stuck at knee height.

can either pause at knees then back to floor
pause at below knee, then to above knee, pause back to floor

and either can be done with a finish on each rep

or just the last rep

training effect different for each

so what do you need

did some Ol under a Russian protcol with a nat coach, and they had us doing snatch DL to the knees, slight pause then back to floor, never finished

had a totally different effect than SGDL

Finns also have a few interesting twists on the above,

so again try and work at what you need, if after doing it you are not lifting more, then have a rethink about your issues and try something else

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. It sounds like there are a number of different interpretations and like there is flexibility to your individual needs, which is sensible. I’m just a bit of a black and white person so I like following things precisely. But if there is flexibility, I will use it.
My weak point is lock out and I’ve been toying with lower starting hips, so I will just give it a go both ways and see which I prefer.

Cheeers.

If you’re weak at lockout, finishing the pull is probably a better variation for you. The pause at the knees will break the momentum of the bar. By finishing it out, you’re basically doing a rack pull (deadlift from pins, etc.) with your body already in the proper pulling position for your leverages, which is rarely the case for rack pulls.

The pause at the knees and then finishing the movement to lockout I thought was called lexon deadlift. As soon as I started using these my DL 1rm flew through the roof.

articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/locking-out-a-deadlift/

Try that article. Explains a lot about pausing and weaknesses.

Pause and then finish, or just go right to deficit pulls.

[quote]Caltene wrote:
articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/locking-out-a-deadlift/

Try that article. Explains a lot about pausing and weaknesses.[/quote]

Thanks man, that was very helpful. It looks to me like finishing the pull would be more suited to my needs.

Another Sheiko question if anybody is in the know:

-Did it have a negative impact on your overhead press? I’ve enjoyed training this as a main movement, and noticed the press barely appears in any of the numbered templates.

I don’t want to mess with the fundamentals of Sheiko by subbing OHP in for Bench, but was curious what experiences other people have had in this regard?

I start 29 tomorrow anyway; should be fun.

My press stayed basically the same, though it took a couple of weeks to get used to the movement again after not doing it for a while.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
My press stayed basically the same, though it took a couple of weeks to get used to the movement again after not doing it for a while.[/quote]
How long did you run Sheiko?
My bench press is sorely underdeveloped, so I’m hoping the mega volume may have some carryover to my OHP, despite not specifically training it.
Once I’ve adapted to the volume, I may throw some sub-maximal OHP in just to keep the movement trained. I’ll see.