Sheeple Peeve Me

[quote]Dan Fouts wrote:
MookJong wrote:
I know what you mean. I recently told someone I was taking 20 fish oil caps a day and I was given a frowning, concerned look “are you sure that’s ok for you? I only take 2”

Ditto. A colleague had a bottle of fish oil caps in his hand when leaving work just a few days ago. I started a quick conversation about it and touched on a few of the major benefits. You know, I get EXCITED about this stuff. So I asked how many he was taking.

“One a day.”

Oh man … I told him that I just take them by the handful, which is 10-12 at a time.

“Really? Are you sure that’s ok?”

It’s frustrating for sure, but why do I let it bother me? I dunno, but keep on keeping on. If I can influence only one person, well, perhaps I need better influencing skills. :wink:

Dan[/quote]

Yeah, the trouble is that the label on the bottle often says take only 1 cap 3 times per day. It makes you wonder where the company who makes the things get their data from.

[quote]bg100 wrote:

Yeah, the trouble is that the label on the bottle often says take only 1 cap 3 times per day. It makes you wonder where the company who makes the things get their data from.[/quote]

That’d be a Gram of omega 3’s for the day, which is a good ammount for a person that sits on their ass all damn day. Its like the RDI for protein which often gets spouted at us by fat, lazy couch nutritionists on the Mega Slim [tm] diet. Those volumes would make sense if you didn’t tax your joints, or indeed, do anything. [I think?]

[quote]The Brain wrote:
bg100 wrote:

Yeah, the trouble is that the label on the bottle often says take only 1 cap 3 times per day. It makes you wonder where the company who makes the things get their data from.

That’d be a Gram of omega 3’s for the day, which is a good ammount for a person that sits on their ass all damn day. Its like the RDI for protein which often gets spouted at us by fat, lazy couch nutritionists on the Mega Slim [tm] diet. Those volumes would make sense if you didn’t tax your joints, or indeed, do anything. [I think?][/quote]

True, any Omega-3s they can get are good, however due to all the Omega-6 fats they get in their diet from other foods the ratio is all out of whack, so bumping the O-3’s up a bit more would be a good idea.

Plus if you are fat and overweight your joints are probably getting beat up just by walking…

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Plus if you are fat and overweight your joints are probably getting beat up just by walking…[/quote]

If they are that fat, exactly how much walking do you suppose they are doing? I agree that the amount listed is usually with sedentary people in mind. They make up the majority. The average person out of high school only gets exercise from getting out of bed in the morning, walking to the car, walking to the office building, and then, with full strain mind you, reaching to press their desired floor on the elevator.

Their afternoons are filled with finger raises (for the remote control) and “fork arm lifts” from plate to mouth. I think the recommendations may work out fair for someone who trains that hard.

This conversation’s a lot easier for me. It goes:

“What are you drinking, chocolate milk?”

“Yeah.”

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I don’t feel sorry for people like that. I just try to avoid conversation with them. After the first discussion of:

“No, it’s a protein shake.”

“Are you sure that’s good for you?”

it is time to break of all communications.[/quote]

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Think about all of the media bombardment regarding soda, fast food and other junk. You almost can’t blame the typcial person from being blinded. I think we need to feel sorry for them more than anything. Especially when they won’t listen to reason.

The media is very powerful and plenty of advertising dollars can make us think whatever they want us to. [/quote]

I left the US three years ago and the silence was deafening. It’s hard to convey the magnitude of crap that bombards you until you go somewhere where it’s not. Now, because of the language difference, I just don’t get as much and it makes a really big difference. It’s much easier to think for yourself.

Not that it should be an excuse, just something more to address.

I had a conversation with my ex awhile back, she actually asked me what she should eat for breakfast to keep her full and give her some energy for the morning. I told her to eat some fruit and oatmeal with some Grow! in it. She said she didn’t want to take steroids. I had to lay it all out for her but I did convince her that there weren’t any steroids in Grow!. Bums me out that for the most part, people don’t have a friggin’ clue.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I told her to eat some fruit and oatmeal with some Grow! in it. She said she didn’t want to take steroids. [/quote]

It sort of makes you want to bang your head against the wall huh?

bg100 wrote:
Plus if you are fat and overweight your joints are probably getting beat up just by walking…

If they are that fat, exactly how much walking do you suppose they are doing? [/quote]

OK, you got me there, LOL! How about just standing up then, that would still stress the knee joints a bit…

[quote]ZEB wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
I told her to eat some fruit and oatmeal with some Grow! in it. She said she didn’t want to take steroids.

It sort of makes you want to bang your head against the wall huh?

[/quote]

Almost enough to make me want to become an expat…

I’m tired to stupid people telling me what to do and making rules on things about which they have no bleeding clue. Almost enough to make me go Tyler Durden on the advertising companies.

The intellectual silence is deafening in America.

I don’t feel sorry for people like that. I just try to avoid conversation with them. After the first discussion of:

“No, it’s a protein shake.”

“Are you sure that’s good for you?”

it is time to break of all communications.[/quote]

I added some Greens Plus to my shake and you should hear the comments I got.

What I told people was I put some blades of grass (has great natural fiber. Really!) along with a Slimfast into a blender.

Then I gave 'em a big grin, toasted them and drank it.

Two people bought into it but no one tried it for themselves, unfortunately.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I had to lay it all out for her but I did convince her that there weren’t any steroids in Grow!. [/quote]

Then there’s the flip side. I lost a bunch of weight some months ago and got a bunch of comments about it.

One woman I worked with asked me what I did. I said I had exercised, but what counted was completely reworking my diet. So she got this glum look and said she just thought I took some pills. I said I did (HOT-ROX), but really noticed a change when my diet was tweaked and pills by themeselves won’t magically get you thin.

I guess she bought into those radio ads where you take a pill but can eat anything you want.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
I had to lay it all out for her but I did convince her that there weren’t any steroids in Grow!.

Then there’s the flip side. I lost a bunch of weight some months ago and got a bunch of comments about it.

One woman I worked with asked me what I did. I said I had exercised, but what counted was completely reworking my diet. So she got this glum look and said she just thought I took some pills. I said I did (HOT-ROX), but really noticed a change when my diet was tweaked and pills by themeselves won’t magically get you thin.

I guess she bought into those radio ads where you take a pill but can eat anything you want.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve sort of run into that too. Another forum I visit on the net, someone asked about fat loss supplements. 90% of the posts were about how said person would “feel better if they did it for themselves” and that it’s “cheating”. I’m guessing most of these people were rather fat aside from not being very intelligent when it comes to diet and nutrition. HOT-ROX is awesome, the best shit you can buy, but it’s like one piece of the puzzle, it doesn’t work for shit if you don’t put a little effort into what you eat and what you do.

It’s funny, you would think if all you had to do was down a few pills every day to lose fat there wouldn’t be so many fat people in the world, but all of the sudden they seem to be too proud to be healthy. It really makes my brain hurt.

[quote]T-Rav wrote:
I’m with you guys on this. This is why I hide my stash of supplements and try not to mention it. People are so ignorant- yet positive they know all about nutrition and supplementation. Convince them? Nah. Screw em. Unless they show some potential… in which case I may let slip a few nuggets of knowledge to test the cognitive waters for some semblance of life. [/quote]

Yup. Life’s too short to deal with combating people’s ignorance. When they get serious about their bodies, then I try to help. Until then, the only nuggets I let slip are when I fart in their general direction.