SHBG & Increasing Free Test?

I have a question.  I am a pretty healthy 50 year old, and I have been lifting 3 days per week for the last six months.  I have not seen the results that I had hoped for at this point.  A pharmacist friend told me that I should have my testosterone levels tested.  I did, and I got good and bad news.  The good news is that my testosterone level is 700, which is not too bad for a 50 year old guy.  The bad news is that my Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) level is also high - 100 nmol/L (normal is 15-50).

From my understanding, having a high SHBG is bad because it binds to my testosterone and renders it useless. The result for me is that I have very little “free testosterone” (testosterone not bound by the SHBG).

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can increase my level of free testosterone?

do you drink alcohol?

I used to drink, but I stopped about 3 years ago.

How is your diet?

Are you getting sufficient sleep?

Are you squatting and deadlifting?

How much sugar are you ingesting?

Have you done a glucose test ?

Did you lift a day before the SHBG test?

How is your diet? I eat 5-6 small meals each day. Approximately 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats. I try to only eat clean foods. I may not be getting enough calories.

Are you getting sufficient sleep? 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 each night.

Are you squatting and deadlifting? Lunges only. I have a bad lower back.

How much sugar are you ingesting? Very little.

Have you done a glucose test ? No

Did you lift a day before the SHBG test? I’m not sure if I did or not.

Thanks for your help! I look forward to your reply.

I will start checking does calories and try to meet your requirements,( I am going to give you a suggestion why don’t you change your macros to 40% 30% 30%, its easier to comply.)

Try to sleep before 11:00
Try to squeeze a nap (it;s good for you)

How many calories are you getting?

Have you tried trap bar deadlifts ?

How long have you been training?

How does your routine looks like?

Give us more input, so we can give you more out put.

Any thoughts on TRT? It might be something your interested in.

The testosterone boosters that bind best to SHBG best to increase free testosterone are probably Divanil and Tongkat Ali.

You will also get an increase in free testosterone by reducing estrogen. A safe and natural way to do this is with resveratrol.

Alpha Male and Rez-V are a good natural way to increase your free testosterone.

Also there are plenty of simple ways to further increase your total testosterone which many of the other posts have addressed.

How many calories are you getting? I have not been counting, but I will start. The more I think about it, this could be one of the major reasons I have not experienced the gains I want. I need to eat more.

Have you tried trap bar deadlifts ? No, but I will give it a try.

How long have you been training? On and off all my life, but recently for about six months.

How does your routine looks like? Mostly upper body (because of my lower back problems) and cardio. I work with weight that I can lift 6-10 times with 3 sets. I do two different lifting exercises for each muscle group.

Any thoughts on TRT? It might be something your interested in.

I am getting a complete physical from my doctor in February 08. If I cannot find a solution before then, I am definitely going to talk to him about TRT.

The testosterone boosters that bind best to SHBG best to increase free testosterone are probably Divanil and Tongkat Ali.

You will also get an increase in free testosterone by reducing estrogen. A safe and natural way to do this is with resveratrol.

Alpha Male and Rez-V are a good natural way to increase your free testosterone.

Also there are plenty of simple ways to further increase your total testosterone which many of the other posts have addressed.

I know that Rez-V provides the resveratrol. Where can I get the Divanil and Tongkat Ali?

Thanks for your help!