Thank you a thousand times for the information on these boards! I’ve read all the stickies and learned so much.
I’m new here trying to find help for my brother. We live in Europe. In short, this is what has happened to him:
- used Propecia for 4 months. Then he quit cold turkey because he was on a vacation and forgot to take the pills with him.
- He had no symptoms what so ever while on the drugs. Only 4 days after quitting, he experienced a sort of derealization (seeing things differently, in 2D, a feeling as if your life is passing by but you’re not in it). Some describe it as brainfog. He became very afraid which ended in severe panic attacks.
- Now, one year later, he is even worse:
- severe panic attacks
- extreme brain fog with derealization 24/7
- no sexual symptoms like all the other guys with PFS (post Finasteride syndrome). Morning wood and libido is less though, but is nothing compaired to the mental problems.
What we have done so far:
Visit a psychiatrist (diagnosed him with derealization and panic disorder - took AD, made things worse), psychologist, regular visits to GP (says it’s all in his head, does not believe in pfs), mri (was fine), bloodwork at the endocrinologist (see attachment)
-height: 71 inch (1m79)
-waist: 34 inch (86cm)
-describe body and facial hair: normal beard grow, a bit chest hair
-describe where you carry fat and how changed: not much visible bodyfat
-health conditions: before this all started, he was in great shape and health
-Rx drugs: Propecia (Finasteride) for MPB (4 months), stopped 24/12/2014
- OTC drugs: Calcium, magnesium, Zinc and omega 3 (already told him to stop taking the Zinc)
-describe diet: eats quite healthy, low carbs, a lot of vegetables and fruit, olive oil, fish and some meat. Zero alcohol, no sigarettes
-describe training: My brother was quite sportive before this happened. He has an atletic body shape.
-testes ache, ever, with a fever: Since stopping the Finasteride, now and then one testicle hurts, no varicoceles
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed: less frequent, but still occurring
- Lab results: see attachment
- About his thyroid: I think the results look fine, but his basal bodytemperature is 96.8 . (36 degrees Celcius)
Last week, we visited an endocrinologist and got the results of his bloodwork. The Dr. gave him Testim to try if this does something. He started with this yesterday. We are both very worried about trying new meds bc the Propecia was prescribed by his GP too.
In the mean time, the Dr. wants to test his cortisol again, through a 24hr urine sample. Results are for the 3rd of february.
Now, with all your knowledge here … can you help us please?
I’ve read the E2 thread …
- How to lift his bio-available T?
- How to lower SHBG?
- Are herbs the way to go or won’t that make a difference for him?
- How to increase his E2? He has NO estrogene at the moment.