T Nation

Shawne Merriman & Steriods

Shawne Merriman violated the NFL’s substance abuse policy, and apparently it was steriods, not a supplement.

You mean it wasn’t flax seed oil ?

Rolls eyes Of course he’s on the juice. You really think a 6’4" and 275 guy can move that fast and staty that size and strength ALL SEASON without a little help ?

You know what, though ? So what if he uses chemical assistence. It helps him do better in what is ultimately entertainment for us. It’s not like he’s peddling crack to kids or molesting little boys like certain government officials and priests who somehow get off scott-free.

Yeah I do but in this case, it does not suprise me. I have talked to plenty guys that went to MD and played football, you catch my drift.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:

Rolls eyes Of course he’s on the juice. You really think a 6’4" and 275 guy can move that fast and staty that size and strength ALL SEASON without a little help ?

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
You mean it wasn’t flax seed oil ?

Rolls eyes Of course he’s on the juice. You really think a 6’4" and 275 guy can move that fast and staty that size and strength ALL SEASON without a little help ?

You know what, though ? So what if he uses chemical assistence. It helps him do better in what is ultimately entertainment for us. It’s not like he’s peddling crack to kids or molesting little boys like certain government officials and priests who somehow get off scott-free. [/quote]

I don’t really give a shit about who uses performance enhancing drugs and who doesn’t, but I wouldn’t say there’s that large a difference between ‘peddling crack’ and peddling steroids to adolescents. We all know the bullshit misconceptions surrounding steroids, but most of us know the pretty massive health effects anabolic steroids cause on adolescents.

If you’re going to make the arguement that it’s not as bad as doing something else as far as him being a rolemodel with the kids, I don’t think it’s a winner. The arguement that should be made is that no one should be forced to play a role model if they don’t want to, and that steroids are already in high use amongst elite athletes, so it’s fighting a losing war for no real reasons.

If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.[/quote]

Steroid use in the NFL strikes me as extraordinarily prevalent as it is. They don’t bodybuild, they train for strength and mobility. Wrestlers train for… Looking fruity.

Professional sports obviously has many more ‘clean’ players than professional wrestling has clean wrestlers, but if you think the use of steroids (and HGH, since there’s no test for it, and no deterrent besides the threat of freezing test samples until there is a test for it) is limited to a very small group of players in professional athletics, I think you’d be setting yourself up for disappointment.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.[/quote]

Sorry to have to break this to you, but the majority of NFL players juice. You’re living in a fantasy world if you believe otherwise.

And saying if NFL players juiced it would have the entertainment value of WWE is a stupid statement. You’ll never see Eli Manning hand off to Tiki Barber only to have Tiki bash a chair over Eli’s head and then run it back to the wrong end zone and declaring himself a member of the other team (Though with TO that’s a completely possible scenerio).

That and the WWE is a freak show where they care more about being big than their athleticism.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.

[quote]JonP wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

Sorry to have to break this to you, but the majority of NFL players juice. You’re living in a fantasy world if you believe otherwise.

And saying if NFL players juiced it would have the entertainment value of WWE is a stupid statement. You’ll never see Eli Manning hand off to Tiki Barber only to have Tiki bash a chair over Eli’s head and then run it back to the wrong end zone and declaring himself a member of the other team (Though with TO that’s a completely possible scenerio).

That and the WWE is a freak show where they care more about being big than their athleticism.[/quote]

lol.

I guess I wasn’t shocked. Like someone else said on this thread: 6’4", 275 and flying around the field like a maniac. It sucks, though. I don’t know. I’m not against people using juice in private settings, but I really wish sports were devoid of any and all anabolics or performance enhancers. That’s just me, though.

[quote]JonP wrote:
(Though with TO that’s a completely possible scenerio).

[/quote]

ROFL !

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.[/quote]

All right… then when don’t you enlighten the rest of us as to how you know that every player in the NFL has taken steroids. You seem really well-versed on the subject. Give us some names while you’re at it, too, especially with all the 6’4", 275 pound quarterbacks, wide receivers, and running backs that there are in the league just running people over.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.[/quote]

I believe you are as clueless to suggest that All have had ‘outside help.’

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.

All right… then when don’t you enlighten the rest of us as to how you know that every player in the NFL has taken steroids. You seem really well-versed on the subject. Give us some names while you’re at it, too, especially with all the 6’4", 275 pound quarterbacks, wide receivers, and running backs that there are in the league just running people over.[/quote]

I am not for one second going to seem like I know x amount of people or even name drop, but being involved with even division 1 athletics and knowing many people playing football at various top tier schools around the country, I would have to say that steroids in football at least is a lot more rampant and widespread than you think.

[quote]WOrta1128 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.

All right… then when don’t you enlighten the rest of us as to how you know that every player in the NFL has taken steroids. You seem really well-versed on the subject. Give us some names while you’re at it, too, especially with all the 6’4", 275 pound quarterbacks, wide receivers, and running backs that there are in the league just running people over.[/quote]

yeah. i’ll give you names. sure. here’s one. me. here are a few others: just about everyone else i played with. bet your ass everyone on the practice squad.

do we talk about it? hell no! it’s there. you know it’s there. you SEE it. you see the residual effects. you see improvements. you know why.

sure. it’s not everyone. but it’s a lot. i’m careful not to say all are on now. some will tell you how they were at college or in highschool. when they GET to the NFL many go or cut back. but on the way up the pressure to get to the league is huge. and you do what you gotta do.

now talk about your favorite show or something you know about.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
yeah. i’ll give you names. sure. here’s one. me. here are a few others: just about everyone else i played with. bet your ass everyone on the practice squad.

do we talk about it? hell no! it’s there. you know it’s there. you SEE it. you see the residual effects. you see improvements. you know why.

sure. it’s not everyone. but it’s a lot. i’m careful not to say all are on now. some will tell you how they were at college or in highschool. when they GET to the NFL many go or cut back. but on the way up the pressure to get to the league is huge. and you do what you gotta do.

now talk about your favorite show or something you know about.[/quote]

Wait a sec. You actually played in the NFL? Is that what you’re saying? When and where???

This debate strikes me as funny every time a player tests positive for steroids. Everyone needs to wake up to the fact that they are not going to legalize them in sports anytime soon. Period. So if someone does it and gets caught, he’s a complete idiot and I have no sympathy for him in the slightest.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
WOrta1128 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.

HAHAHAHAHA! OH, REALLY? You know NOTHING, friend. NOTHING! Take it from someone who knows. These guys ALL have or have had ‘outside help’. I don’t know what you THINK steroids do. If they make you fly or if they just make you break chairs over people’s heads.

You don’t have a fucking clue so keep it zipped.

All right… then when don’t you enlighten the rest of us as to how you know that every player in the NFL has taken steroids. You seem really well-versed on the subject. Give us some names while you’re at it, too, especially with all the 6’4", 275 pound quarterbacks, wide receivers, and running backs that there are in the league just running people over.

yeah. i’ll give you names. sure. here’s one. me. here are a few others: just about everyone else i played with. bet your ass everyone on the practice squad.

do we talk about it? hell no! it’s there. you know it’s there. you SEE it. you see the residual effects. you see improvements. you know why.

sure. it’s not everyone. but it’s a lot. i’m careful not to say all are on now. some will tell you how they were at college or in highschool. when they GET to the NFL many go or cut back. but on the way up the pressure to get to the league is huge. and you do what you gotta do.

now talk about your favorite show or something you know about.[/quote]

You know, you’re a real idiot. This is the second or third discussion that you take part in where you offer a lot of opinions but don’t back anything up with any real information. I understand that there is pressure and all this other stuff, and that’s fine. I understand that. However, you expect me or anyone to just sit here and take what you say as fact just because you say it’s true? We’re taking part in a discussion man, where people offer opinions, not just shoot down the thoughts of everyone else with flase claims and an appearance of knowledge. For all I know, you had to take performance enhancers because you sucked and you thought it would somehow help that. But it didn’t. You sucked, and now you want to go and say that because you sucked and had to take something that everyone else in the league is in the same boat (that boat filled with people who suck). Dude, get over it. You sucked. It’s not the end of the world. Just don’t go and accuse everyone of taking HGH or whatever just because you had to make up for your shortcomings. You sucked. It’s fine. Just don’t accuse everyone of the same. That’s all I’m saying.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
If everyone in the NFL used steroids the entertainment value of it would be somewhere close to WWE or whatever it’s called now.

What makes professional sports so interesting and amazing is the fact that these guys put in so much hard work and do it without “outside help.”

At least for me that’s what does it.[/quote]

Wow. I can’t believe people out there still think this way…

Hey Hack, maybe you can confirm or negate a suspicion I have.

I have observed that when a player in the NFL gets popped, a whole launndry list of other shit follows or becomes exposed.

It is my belief that the NFL pops and prosecutes guys for roids when they want to get rid of them for being a jagoff off of the field, or a detriment to the teaam in other ways, and a posative roid test is just the easiest way to break contract.

What do you think about that?

Yea or Nay?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Hey Hack, maybe you can confirm or negate a suspicion I have.

I have observed that when a player in the NFL gets popped, a whole launndry list of other shit follows or becomes exposed.

It is my belief that the NFL pops and prosecutes guys for roids when they want to get rid of them for being a jagoff off of the field, or a detriment to the teaam in other ways, and a posative roid test is just the easiest way to break contract.

What do you think about that?

Yea or Nay?

[/quote]

I haven’t seen that. I’m usually surprised by postive tests, though. Most guys are more careful or take things that cannot be detected through the standard test(s). HGH has caught on the last few years, from what I’ve heard from a few guys.

Testing is much tougher now. Hence the HGH.

I’ve said to much here. So I deleted some of what I wrote here. Sorry.

[quote]Kuz wrote:

This debate strikes me as funny every time a player tests positive for steroids. Everyone needs to wake up to the fact that they are not going to legalize them in sports anytime soon. Period. So if someone does it and gets caught, he’s a complete idiot and I have no sympathy for him in the slightest.[/quote]

But you love to watch him until that moment. Hell, I as a black Raiders fan watched Bill Romanowski knowing full well he was probably sleeping under a Confederate flag blanket for better recovery along with the obvious and the crazy.

The same goes for every other football fan and every other ‘freak’ of recent memory (they are mostly on defense for some reason). At this point the only reason I hope for them not to be juiced is so that they won’t get suspended and deprive me of watching them.

I rambled, my bad. I guess I don’t know how things could be done differently. I just don’t want people getting on such high horses.