Shaving: Best Blades?

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
I don’t know if you guys soak the razor in hot water before you shave, but it seems to get me an extra three or four shaves per blade (Mach 3 here). [/quote]

I wouldn’t do that because of basic physics. Warm water okay, but hot water on the blade will cause the metal to expand and take the edge off the blade. More chance of razor burn and shaving bumps if your prone to them. Put the hot water on the skin and warm water on the blade.

Stop shaving like a pussy (Mach 3/Electric) and go for a double-edge razor.

You can get a 10-pack of Merkur blades for around 6 bucks. Check out http://www.classicshaving.com

Real men use a scuttle and a brush as well.

I use the cheap big economy bag of yellow single blade razors.

toss them after 3-5 times each.
to avoid razor burn I use nivea stuff.
the extra moisture shaving gel and the sensitive post shave balm

not only do they smell great,they calm my skin, I have really thick hair and its hard to shave.

I also swim alot and sometimes my shoulders and upper arms get really dry and cracked and this balm works great on that too,its all around the best lotion I have found

What do you guys think of this:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[/quote]

my ex used something lik that for her legs.
it used normal razor replacment blades but it was like a ring. made holding it really easy I guess.

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
I use Fusion blades. I love them. I don’t think I’ve changed a blade in over a month, and I shave pretty much everyday (military).

I don’t have the thickest hair, but its not exactly soft and fluffy, either. It hurts my wife even after a few days growth.

Dunno, maybe its how I shave.

[/quote]

x2

I’m another vote for the fusion non-powered raiser. Blades last me about a month. Always a super close shave too. When I shave with them, it makes me look like I’m 16 LOL. People in bars are like “you look young as hell!”. I actually enjoy looking younger now.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Also, do any of you not use shaving cream? I stopped using it and don’t notice any difference or discomfort, and I shave against the grain. It’s a lot faster that way.[/quote]

Ummm WTF? I got a friend who dry shaves.

I’m still using the Mach 3 Turbo. In the past I have used the King of Shaves oil and liked it but had a hard time finding a store that sold it and didn’t want to reorder online.

I typically use King of Shaves shave gel and let it sit on my face about a minute or 2 before shaving, Nivea aftershave afterwards.

[quote]Barra wrote:
King of Shaves AZOR - don’t know if they sell them stateside yet, but I’ve had one a few weeks and it’s brilliant, definite improvement over the Fusion I had before. Feels like a closer shave and is considerably cheaper, especially since the blades are designed to (and actually seem to) last longer. [/quote]

This is the best razor at the moment. Kicks the shit out of Gilette.

LR

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[/quote]

Looks neato, but the rolling razor strikes me as gimmicky. In particular, what is the advantage of two razor blades on one handle? Are you really in such a hurry that you cannot switch hands? Is your beard so tough that it can force a single blade into submission half way through the job? Not too sure that I would want to shave with my arm across my face anyway. I also do not get the benefit of the ring for a handle. I suppose it has some benefit if you have problems holding on to a straight handle.

Personally, I am going to try an old school safety razor. Pretty sure that no matter how good I get with it, I will not be able to use it on my melon.

I use the non-powered Fusion Blades. Every day on my face, and i can usually get away with every other day on my head. Good smooth shave, and far fewer nicks and cuts. only problem is unless you go to costco for blades, they can get pretty pricy

[quote]ChuckDHunt wrote:
I shave my head and face almost everyday and NO blade feels better or lasts longer than the Gillette Fusion. I have thick hair where it still grows and these blades shave me comfortably everytime. Whether I have time for a full on gel and hot water shave or dry shave, I love those things.

For shaving gel, I used to use Edge Gel for tough beards in a black can, but I can’t seem to find it anymore so I use the one for sensitive skin now.[/quote]

Gillette Fusion FTW!!

I’ve been using them for a while now’ they’re pretty cheap, and shave my face and whole head 3, sometimes 4 times before throwing them out. Usually don’t get much in the way of razor burn, shaving cream helps with that though. I only shave every 2-3 days, so each razor lasts 8-10 days typically.

Nothing beats a straight razor. They are pretty expensive, but you only need to buy 1, maybe 2 your entire life.

I would at least try it and practice shaving with one. That and some good shaving soap + a badger brush and you might end up enjoying it.

I started using one when I got into blade sharpening, and wondered why I didn’t use one when I first started shaving.

[quote]London Runner wrote:
Barra wrote:
King of Shaves AZOR - don’t know if they sell them stateside yet, but I’ve had one a few weeks and it’s brilliant, definite improvement over the Fusion I had before. Feels like a closer shave and is considerably cheaper, especially since the blades are designed to (and actually seem to) last longer.

This is the best razor at the moment. Kicks the shit out of Gilette.

LR[/quote]

This?

http://www.kmishop.com/shop-AZOR/

It looks interesting…I may have to look into this as I really like their other shave products.

this razor looks great. does anyone know where to get it in a store in the us. the king of shaves.

Gillette Fusion all the way. I used to be all about the Mach 3, but it pales in comparison to the Fusion. I don’t use shaving cream, I use Clearasil facewash. Good lather and it saves time and money. I’m all about that.

But yeah, Fusion is the way to go.

no you guys are wrong… the best shaver is MicroForce shaver!! As Seen on TV!! https://www.buymicroforce.com/ver1/index.asp

[quote]chrisarmes wrote:
I use the non-powered Fusion Blades. Every day on my face, and i can usually get away with every other day on my head. Good smooth shave, and far fewer nicks and cuts. only problem is unless you go to costco for blades, they can get pretty pricy[/quote]

I shave my head and face daily and the Fusion is the best. I usually get a week out of a blade. Not sure about the science of freezing to -300F, but they seem to work. I can now stretch a blade almost a month.

Have’nt posted in over a year, but felt a need to chime in. The thing that causes your blade to deteriorate is not just the hair it’s the residual oil on the blade off of your face or head…

In which case get a glass of 97% alcohol or whatever the fuck it is, and store your razor with the head submerged in it, this will strip anything off of the metal and preserve it quite nicely, everyone go try it and tell me next week how I right I was.

See ya next year.

interesting, thanks x-factor

I just use my knife and some grease.
First with the grain and then against it.

Just like Riddick.