T Nation

Shaving: Best Blades?

For one, I hate shaving. I try to go about 3 days before shaving. Also, if I shave before 3 days, it usually tears the hell out of my neck.
I use a Mach 3 and also Aveeno shave cream.

How many uses do you get out of one Mach 3 blade? I can usually get probably 4-5 before it gets dull and need to change. Considering how expensive the blades are I’d like to get more use out of it, but can’t.

Anyone use a Quattro? Is it better than a Mach 3?

I’ve tried electric razors but they don’t get close enough.

I saw an infomercial for a thing that will sharpen blades on re-usable razors. Anyone have this? Wondering if it will work.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
For one, I hate shaving. I try to go about 3 days before shaving. Also, if I shave before 3 days, it usually tears the hell out of my neck.

How many uses do you get out of one Mach 3 blade? I can usually get probably 4-5 before it gets dull and need to change. Considering how expensive the blades are I’d like to get more use out of it, but can’t.

I saw an infomercial for a thing that will sharpen blades on re-usable razors. Anyone have this? Wondering if it will work.[/quote]

I use the Mach3, also, but I use a blade 8-10 times before I toss it. Luckly, I have pretty fine hair. They’re damn epensive, at approx. 8 bucks for 3 cartridges.

I’ve used the Quattro, but it lasts about as long the Mach3 blades.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

I saw an infomercial for a thing that will sharpen blades on re-usable razors. Anyone have this? Wondering if it will work.

I use the Mach3, also, but I use a blade 8-10 times before I toss it. Luckly, I have pretty fine hair. They’re damn epensive, at approx. 8 bucks for 3 cartridges.

I’ve used the Quattro, but it lasts about as long the Mach3 blades.[/quote]

I guess with the Quattro I’m wondering if it will be gentler on my neck with the extra blade? Single blade razors rip it to hell, Mach 3’s are pretty decent but I still get nicks.

Thiers Issard straight razor, nothing comes close. Not at all.

wow only 4-5 uses? Man I guess it’s great having thin hair for something.

I preferred the MAch 3 over the Quattro. I found its hardly any difference and the blades cost way more.

I have a friend who has the thickest facial hair ever - it basically can cover his whole face and he said he uses shaving oil. A few drops and rub it on. I haven’t used it myself, but its pretty cheap and he said it last a long time and he won’t go back to shaving cream.

Might be worth a shot.

There’s some blade sharpener product on infomercials, but it seems that it actually ruins the blade more quickly. What a gimic!

Is there anything out there to sharpen these shaving blades? The cost is ridiculous and electric shavers do not get close at all.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
There’s some blade sharpener product on infomercials, but it seems that it actually ruins the blade more quickly. What a gimic!

Is there anything out there to sharpen these shaving blades? The cost is ridiculous and electric shavers do not get close at all.[/quote]

lol, did you read my post at all or are you paraphrasing :smiley:

I use the Mach 3 Turbo (get it at Costco for a little less than $2 per blade); each lasts me about 6 or 7 shaves.

I also use Lab Series shave cream (it’s awesome). A bit pricey, but a tub lasts me 3 to 4 months. You can find it here: http://www.labseries.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6291&PRODUCT_ID=PROD9330 but it’s sold at some dept stores (Macy’s & Nordstrom on the west coast).

Also, if you don’t already, get a shaving mirror and shave in the shower (last thing you do). And buy yourself a brush; it helps.

I use Fusion blades. I love them. I don’t think I’ve changed a blade in over a month, and I shave pretty much everyday (military).

I don’t have the thickest hair, but its not exactly soft and fluffy, either. It hurts my wife even after a few days growth.

Dunno, maybe its how I shave.

I always wash my face with a good facial cleanser (not soap, in dries out the skin), use Nivea shave gel on a warm, wet face, and make sure that I add some warm water to the lather as well. I make sure I massage it in pretty good too, as I dont yet have a brush. Let it sit for a minute, and then go to it with very warm, but not hot water. Shave with the grain first, and then against it if you wanna get real close.

Ever since I started shaving like this, I’ve never had razor burn, and my blades last much, much longer. And it still takes me less than a couple minutes to get a good shave in.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:

Is there anything out there to sharpen these shaving blades? The cost is ridiculous and electric shavers do not get close at all.

lol, did you read my post at all or are you paraphrasing :D[/quote]

I only read the first 2 lines or so. So you’re half right. :stuck_out_tongue:

To avoid razor burn:

Use brief strokes and don’t press down hard with the razor

Go over the freshly shaven areas with an ice cube, gently rubbing the ice over your skin, until about half the cube has melted.

The ice trick has worked very well for me and I have sensitive skin. I hate shaving often and I’ve grown facial hair since I was maybe 13. It is such a pain and I laugh when girls say they don’t like it…they have no idea on the maintenance.

I don’t get razor burn, rather cuts in the skins that bleed. It’s usually always the same spots (just to the left and right of the adam’s apple).
No other place.

Just grow a beard?

I use a fusion powered, daily shave. Gotta replace that like once a month, daily or every other day shave. I use the shaving gel that came with it (the fusion one). Pretty close shave if i shave sideways after a regular shave. I also have this machine from Braun that cost me 40-50 dollars which gives me a shave just as close as a blade, but irritates around the neck. Closer shave at neck though.

Aftershave is important too, get the ones for sensetive skin.

Do those little vibrating blades do anything? I have one like that and I really can’t tell a difference.
Also, do any of you not use shaving cream? I stopped using it and don’t notice any difference or discomfort, and I shave against the grain. It’s a lot faster that way.

Straight razor my friend. I just toss the disposable blade after each use. Always sharp that way, hygienic, no razor burn and the closest shave you’ll get, + the nostalgia of shaving old school if your into that kind of thing. Also way more precise if your attempting some kind of beard design or lineing up side burns.

Id love to invest in the old school ones that are actually blades but you need to get the strope and stuff for that. Whole set costs upward of 200$ for the higher end ones.

But the ones im talking about are like 8 bucks and whatever the cost of razors(cheap). Just find a brand u like and buy bulk.

I wouldn’t mind going to an old school barber shop for a real old school shave. Just to try it once.

I hear straight razors are wicked for shaving. I have not tried them.

The vibrating razorheads are just gimmicks. Think about it: with even the slightest bit of pressure (say, just pressing against your skin) you are transferring the vibrations to your skin/body and rendering them useless against facial hair.

And I always shave with the grain and then finish against it. I’m sure that’s what everyone does.

I need a shaving mirror so the steam from the shower can keep the hair soft…I think that’s the key.

King of Shaves AZOR - don’t know if they sell them stateside yet, but I’ve had one a few weeks and it’s brilliant, definite improvement over the Fusion I had before. Feels like a closer shave and is considerably cheaper, especially since the blades are designed to (and actually seem to) last longer.

I don’t know if you guys soak the razor in hot water before you shave, but it seems to get me an extra three or four shaves per blade (Mach 3 here).

I shave my head and face almost everyday and NO blade feels better or lasts longer than the Gillette Fusion. I have thick hair where it still grows and these blades shave me comfortably everytime. Whether I have time for a full on gel and hot water shave or dry shave, I love those things.

For shaving gel, I used to use Edge Gel for tough beards in a black can, but I can’t seem to find it anymore so I use the one for sensitive skin now.