T Nation

Shaved Heads = Looking Strong?

I could be 140 pounds, and have a 95 pound bench press, yet if I had a shaved head, I would look strong as hell. I don’t know how the psychology works, but having a bare noggin makes you appear much stronger than you actually are. Lots of athletes take advantage of this to gain an edge over the competition. This tennis pro suddenly became a legend when he shaved his head; I forgot his name.

Maybe having long hair makes you look more like a girl? Does the bald edge disappear in cultures where men can have long hair like women?

There should be some study comparing athletes of different hair status. There just should be.

I don’t know what to say.

Is this like putting a sticker of some performance parts manufacturer on my car window and gaining 10 horse power?

Haha, there was actually this scam about gas saving stickers a few years ago. The local news station actually investigated it, but anyone with an IQ of 80+ could see that it was an obvious fraud. The worst thing is, the ads for this sticker abused real physics terminology, and it got my blood boiling.

I prefer haveing muscle to look stronger

Actually, football players that have dred’s just look menacing.

is growing dred’s currently

What the hell is wrong with you?

No wonder Prof X looks big.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
is growing dred’s currently[/quote]

Tried it, but whiteman hair didn’t cooperate…

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I could be 140 pounds, and have a 95 pound bench press, yet if I had a shaved head, I would look strong as hell. I don’t know how the psychology works, but having a bare noggin makes you appear much stronger than you actually are. Lots of athletes take advantage of this to gain an edge over the competition. This tennis pro suddenly became a legend when he shaved his head; I forgot his name.

Maybe having long hair makes you look more like a girl? Does the bald edge disappear in cultures where men can have long hair like women?

There should be some study comparing athletes of different hair status. There just should be.[/quote]

I think a lot of dudes undergoing chemotherapy would strongly disagree.

If you have Ronnie Coleman a great, big, giant, messed-up, afro he’d still be a monster.

Bad guys might look tougher or more menacing (depending on their head structure), but that doesn’t mean that they necessarily look any stronger (take Peewee Herman, save his head and tell me that if he looks any stronger than before).

I find that being a 5’ 10", 212lbs white guy with a shaved head makes people scared of me. :frowning:

[quote]jjoseph_x wrote:
(take Peewee Herman, save his head and tell me that if he looks any stronger than before).[/quote]

Not with a shaved head, but I bet if he got some wicked tribal face tats…

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
I find that being a 5’ 10", 212lbs white guy with a shaved head makes people scared of me. :([/quote]

yeah its the shaved head that makes people afraid of you…

[quote]n3wb wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
I find that being a 5’ 10", 212lbs white guy with a shaved head makes people scared of me. :frowning:

yeah its the shaved head that makes people afraid of you…[/quote]

Hey, some of my best friends are slightly off-white!

(Seriously, would you take down the picture? It’s fucking creeping me out.)

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
n3wb wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
I find that being a 5’ 10", 212lbs white guy with a shaved head makes people scared of me. :frowning:

yeah its the shaved head that makes people afraid of you…

Hey, some of my best friends are slightly off-white![/quote]

Raciest!

just kiden

I used to think that having a shaved head or short hair looked athletic. I actually thought it made me look “blacker”. Lately, thought, I’ve been growing my hair out, and have discovered that my beautiful brown locks look quite badass, especially in conjunction with my totally neglected facial hair. Pull a beanie over my head and I look fucking mean! I love it

Some hairstyles definitely give a more pussified look then a shaved head. I know people seem to be more intimidated when I shave my head. It accentuates jaw lines, but with the wrong head form it just looks stupid.

Bald men tend to have a naturally higher testosterone level, I guess that’s why you look stronger, because baldness is associated with masculinity, and therefore strength.

[quote]Euqinom wrote:
Bald men tend to have a naturally higher testosterone level, I guess that’s why you look stronger, because baldness is associated with masculinity, and therefore strength. [/quote]

T=MOBY

LOL

I found out today that wearing a Bodyduilding.com shirt to the gym adds at least 10 pounds of muscle. It might even convert fat to muscle, but I was not too sure about that one since the guy still looked like a fat ass.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.