Shave With a Straight Razor?

I use the shittiest two blade i can find so i don’t get a close shave. When my face is smooth it gets hugely roughed up when wrestling.

But back in japan when I was doing a semester abroad I went to this barber, who seemingly built his shop in the middle of four rice fields, go figure.

He hooked me up with the full straight razor shave and it was like freshly waxed vagina, smooth as. Back then I didn’t have to shave very often but this lasted ages. I don’t think i shaved till i got home.

Another good time shaving was when I decided, to entertain myself while in Nicaragua, that I would shave with my K-bar. It keeps a tight edge due to the high-carbon non-stainless steel. This also meant I shaved dry, but not to worry. It was so humid in Nica that the wiskers came of like fresh bread. Very crocadile dundee but fun nonetheless.

when we were in town later on I picked up some “shaving oil” which is for dry shaving. Worked great with the K-bar.

Ohhh, the Hot-Rox are making me sweat for no good reason, cool.

-chris

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
oaxaca joe wrote:
A few years back a barber shaved me with a straight razor and it was the closest, most nick-free shave I’ve ever had.

Do any of you gentlemen out there shave with a straight razor? I’m considering learning how, but haven’t met anyone who actually uses a straight razor and I’m curious what a straight razor shaver has to say about it.

Joe

The “art of shaving” has locations around the country.

I see you’re in pa. If you are near exton, theres a place called “shaving grace” in the main street mall. They do the traditiona hot towel straight razor shave and sell all of the accoutremonts.

[/quote]

I live near exton. Is this main street mall anywhere near the Exton mall? More importantly, is it really expensive? Personally, all I want is a DE razor, as gel/cream seems to make no difference to me.

[quote]4est wrote:
Perhaps you would like using a double edged razor.

How to get the perfect shave: MSN
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this article. I’m sold. Time to do some shopping.

lol

Has anyone had any experience with the fazor razor? It looks like it gives as good a shave as the straight razor minus all the hassle.

I meant to say the feather razor.

We had this Sgt. in my platoon that shaved with his buckknife. I thought shaving with a month old razor in cold water was hardcore.

Here’s a good link on info:

Not to resurrect this older thread, but I just purchased a kit on ebay for 149. Came with a new Dovo razor(sharpened by the seller) strop, mug, brush, lather.

I’ve shaved a few times with my straight razor…it is pretty scary at first, but now (I’m on my 4th shave) I’m pretty used to it. I’m no expert, but I am getting a pretty damn close shave in certain areas, the harder to maneuver spots being the neck/adams apple and my chin where my hair grows in super thick.

All-in-all I’d say it is worth it if you can spare 10-20 minutes to shave. It does cut down on razor burn as well.

I think better option would be to shave with a large bowie knife like Crocodile Dundee…

[quote]oaxaca joe wrote:
A few years back a barber shaved me with a straight razor and it was the closest, most nick-free shave I’ve ever had.

Do any of you gentlemen out there shave with a straight razor? I’m considering learning how, but haven’t met anyone who actually uses a straight razor and I’m curious what a straight razor shaver has to say about it.

Joe[/quote]

I’ve recently switched to using Mach 3 from an electric Braun on my head. Its much faster and less struggle. With the electric and shaving my head every day it would be a chore to shave it when it had one day’s growth. With the Mach 3 it doesn’t matter the length it just shaves it off. I don’t know if I will ever go back to an electric again.

This place is great…

www.leesrazors.com

[quote]slimjim wrote:
I’ve shaved a few times with my straight razor…it is pretty scary at first, but now (I’m on my 4th shave) I’m pretty used to it. I’m no expert, but I am getting a pretty damn close shave in certain areas, the harder to maneuver spots being the neck/adams apple and my chin where my hair grows in super thick.

All-in-all I’d say it is worth it if you can spare 10-20 minutes to shave. It does cut down on razor burn as well. [/quote]

That’s pretty cool that you went ahead and got yourself a straight razor kit. I’m hoping for one as a birthday present. So are you finding that your shave lasts much longer with a straight razor?

[quote]oaxaca joe wrote:

That’s pretty cool that you went ahead and got yourself a straight razor kit. I’m hoping for one as a birthday present. So are you finding that your shave lasts much longer with a straight razor?

[/quote]

In the places where I’ve managed to shave right it does last longer. I don’t like to blow things out of proportion, but a shave against the grain will last about a day longer (if done right.)

The crux of the whole thing is that it is an involved process with a fairly steep learning curve. I actually enjoy the novelty of shaving this way, so it is worth it to me…I have managed to get a few nicks here and there as well, nothing scaring, but enough to know that the razor is sharp as hell.

There’s a guy on ebay (altima55) that sells older, refurbished razors that are sharpened already and tend to be a little cheaper than the kit I bought. He’s got a good rep from what I understand…I can only imagine how shitty it would be to try this with a dull razor.

Just a word of caution to anyone interested in using a straight razor. Shut the door if you have pets or children. I have a straight razor I use every so often for a nice relaxing shave or a big date or something. Last time I was doing it I left the door open, as I was home alone. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize one of our cats was inside, the one who just loves to hop up in the sink when the water’s running (yeah, she’s a little odd). Just as I was doing the dangerous part (mustache, the blade is pretty damn close to perpendicular to your skin at one point) the damn cat jumped up on the sink and startled me. Put a pretty good inch long slice through my face and upper lip. Damn near killed the cat when I dropped the razor on it, just took off a chunk of fur though. Stupid fucking cat. It was like getting a paper cut, only worse. And on your face.

Other than that though, straight razor shaves are great. Although it’s kind of a pain in the ass to re-hone the blade every few months (not strop, actually put it to a stone and put a new edge on it).