T Nation

Shave With a Straight Razor?

A few years back a barber shaved me with a straight razor and it was the closest, most nick-free shave I’ve ever had.

Do any of you gentlemen out there shave with a straight razor? I’m considering learning how, but haven’t met anyone who actually uses a straight razor and I’m curious what a straight razor shaver has to say about it.

Joe

I don’t know how but the barber I go to (been cuttin hair for 43yrs) edges me up with a straight razor. I’ve never had a line up so tight. and the shave is perfect.

I usually need to shave every 2 days… straight razor it lasts about a week.

I usually need a line up every week or week and half…straight razor its like 3weeks

Not with a straight razor, its like you cut so close the hair is afraid to come out again.

I dont do it myself but it would be cool to learn how. Either way my barber is indispensable to me now cause of that straight razor.

Oh, man…I literally just cringed thinking about shaving with a straight razor. I had a barber do it once and I literally started breaking into a ridiculous sweat…by the time he finished my neck I was drenched.

Oh, so in case you’re wondering I’m not going to be much help on this one.

Have you ever experimented with higher-quality shaving products? You can get a ridiculously close shave if you switch off shit like Edge shave gel and onto something like The Art of Shaving’s shaving cream.

It’s much more expensive, but higher quality stuff is worth it if you shave often.

Looks cool. Way too much hassle. You need to get a good badger hair brush for $100, proper soap and the nice little cup to whip up a batch of cream. You have to keep the razor perfectly sharp with a leather strop. And then the delicate art of actually using the damn thing to get a nice shave, along with the inherent risk… no thanks. I considered it for a while and asked my barber about it - he convinced me not to. And I don’t go to him often so it wasn’t like he was saving much business. He gave me pointers if I REALLY wanted to, but recommended against.

I’ve tried most modern razors and the Mach 3 still gets my pick to shave my head with. Three blades gets as close as any straight blade for me. In fact it requires very good shave oil and proper prep work not to razor burn myself because the 3 blades don’t leave any room for error.

So my vote is not to bother. Cool as shit if you do, but I don’t think its worth it.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
Have you ever experimented with higher-quality shaving products? You can get a ridiculously close shave if you switch off shit like Edge shave gel and onto something like The Art of Shaving’s shaving cream.

It’s much more expensive, but higher quality stuff is worth it if you shave often.[/quote]

Never heard of the stuff before but just checked out their website. Are their products only available online?

Perhaps you would like using a double edged razor.

How to get the perfect shave: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

Choosing a DE Razor:

Notice that the parent forum is “Pictorials & Videos”. It seems to have tons of info.

I just use a cheap brush and cheap soap combined with an 1961 Gillette DE “Fat Boy” from eBay - similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260059660123&rd=1&rd=1

I’ll never go back to Mach3’s for my face. This is so much nicer.

[quote]4est wrote:
I’ll never go back to Mach3’s for my face. This is so much nicer.[/quote]

You missed a couple of tufts at the bottom there.

That would be pretty cool when you have the Lady’s over. Whip out the bis straight razor, “just a minute let me finish up shaving.”

[quote]4est wrote:

Choosing a DE Razor:

Notice that the parent forum is “Pictorials & Videos”. It seems to have tons of info.

I just use a cheap brush and cheap soap combined with an 1961 Gillette DE “Fat Boy” from eBay - similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260059660123&rd=1&rd=1

[/quote]

How often do you replace the blade? Do you just get a pack of blades and swap’em in? I’ve been pining for a DE for a while. Seems sweet. As is, I just use some random store bought razor sans shaving cream. As long as the razor is sharp, it makes no difference, but it seems like I can only get two uses out of them.

Got a barber in Munich to give me a real razor shave in 1974, when I came back from Romania (don’t ask).

Best shave I ever had.

TQB

If you’re so inclined, shave or have your barber shave your nut sack with a straight razor and report back how you liked it.

[quote]veruvius wrote:
4est wrote:

Choosing a DE Razor:

How often do you replace the blade? Do you just get a pack of blades and swap’em in? I’ve been pining for a DE for a while. Seems sweet. As is, I just use some random store bought razor sans shaving cream. As long as the razor is sharp, it makes no difference, but it seems like I can only get two uses out of them.[/quote]

If kept clean and sharp with as strope. Should work forever.

[quote]TQB wrote:
Got a barber in Munich to give me a real razor shave in 1974, when I came back from Romania (don’t ask).

Best shave I ever had.

TQB[/quote]

33 years later and you still remember it fondly…I’m telling ya.

The DE option sounds like a good one–more affordable and maybe a little safer, but like Unforgiven2 said, there’s a whole nother level of manliness to whipping out that straight razor and shaving with a deadly instrument!

i get it done every time i get my hair cut its great they learn it at thier barber school.i have tried it myself the flats are not bad its the curves that are hard as hell.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
If you’re so inclined, shave or have your barber shave your nut sack with a straight razor and report back how you liked it.[/quote]

Thanks, man. Now I know what my nightmares will be about for the next few weeks. I’d rather pluck 'em out one by one with tweezers.

[quote]oaxaca joe wrote:
A few years back a barber shaved me with a straight razor and it was the closest, most nick-free shave I’ve ever had.

Do any of you gentlemen out there shave with a straight razor? I’m considering learning how, but haven’t met anyone who actually uses a straight razor and I’m curious what a straight razor shaver has to say about it.

Joe[/quote]

The “art of shaving” has locations around the country.

I see you’re in pa. If you are near exton, theres a place called “shaving grace” in the main street mall. They do the traditiona hot towel straight razor shave and sell all of the accoutremonts.

[quote]veruvius wrote:
4est wrote:

Choosing a DE Razor:

How often do you replace the blade? Do you just get a pack of blades and swap’em in? I’ve been pining for a DE for a while. Seems sweet. As is, I just use some random store bought razor sans shaving cream. As long as the razor is sharp, it makes no difference, but it seems like I can only get two uses out of them.[/quote]

I swap the blades with every shave as my face is really sensitive. They could probably go to two shaves but I don’t push it. I’m using Persona razor blades from Wal-Mart and they are about $2.50 for a pack of ten.

Higher quality blades would probably yield less irritation and longer life. I only shave every other day so now that the brush, soap and razor are paid for, the cost of shaving (blades) is pennies.

A couple of life’s great cheap pleasures. Getting a shave and your shoes signed at the barber shop.

Nothing beats a barber shave. They’ve gotten a little expensive over the years but still worth it.

barber shaves are the shit. i finally found a barber in the new city i moved to that would do the straight razor thing, 2 days later when i drove by it was closed down. motherfucker!!! i havent been able to find a shop since,so i dont shave anymore. just the occasional trim to keep everybody in line.