T Nation

Sharp Rotator Cuff Pain

Periodically I feel a sharp pain in my rotator cuffs. I don’t have to be doing anything, and it goes away for months at a time but it came back again this past week.

Every couple of hours my right rotator cuff tenses up and I feel a real sharp pain in it for about 10 seconds and then it goes away. I don’t have great shoulder flexibility; could this why? Anyway to fix it?

What is the ratio of weight you use in the bench press vs overhead press (standing) and weighted pullups? How often are you bench pressing?

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
What is the ratio of weight you use in the bench press vs overhead press (standing) and weighted pullups? How often are you bench pressing?[/quote]

I bench about 310, I weight 250lb and can do 2x5 pull ups (just bodyweight). I bench about twice a week.

[quote]and1bball4mk wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
What is the ratio of weight you use in the bench press vs overhead press (standing) and weighted pullups? How often are you bench pressing?

I bench about 310, I weight 250lb and can do 2x5 pull ups (just bodyweight). I bench about twice a week. [/quote]

Dipps can trigger major rotator cuff pain,have you lost form for a rep recently?

Im having similair problems. Ive been doing overhead pressing w/ my bench latley, and that seems to have irritated my shoulder.

Ive been icing it alot, along w/ using a tennis ball on it. It helps some, but it still wont get better.

Sounds like you probably have some major shoulder imbalances. Overhead pressing while standing works the rotator cuff, you are also insanely weak in your back compared to bench pressing strength, that needs to be addressed or you are going to have some major shoulder problems in the future.

Am I really that weak in the back? I didn’t think 2x5 at 250lbs was that far behind a 310lb bench press.

Way behind, especially considering that the difference between the pullup and bench press isn’t a lb for lb carry over. You should be able to do at least 15 pullups with your bodyweight and around 100lb weighted pullup with that kind bench press. And if your not overhead pressing that will make the problem even worse. All the support in a bench press is done by the bench, so the rotator cuff muscles (as well as others) don’t get worked much, if any.

I’m inclined to believe that all of the above is the cause of your problem.

Way behind, especially considering that the difference between the pullup and bench press isn’t a lb for lb carry over. You should be able to do at least 15 pullups with your bodyweight and around 100lb weighted pullup with that kind bench press. And if your not overhead pressing that will make the problem even worse. All the support in a bench press is done by the bench, so the rotator cuff muscles (as well as others) don’t get worked much, if any.

I’m inclined to believe that all of the above is the cause of your problem.[/quote]

I dont agree with that one bit. Considering that he is 250, and only benching 310 probably means he has some bodyfat on him. I could be wrong, but if im not, then that explains why he cant do that many pullups, not muscle imbalance.

OP, whats your routine look like?

Funny you should mention this. I was having some shoulder pain in my rotator cuff this past winter and have been doing some minor shoulder muscle exercises for the past couple months and have notice a VAST improvement. Every day i lift i take a 5lb weight and very slowly do arm circles forward till it starts to get tired then switch arms.

Then Go back to the original arm and do them backward. Through out your normal work out go back to the 5lb weight and stretch your arm straight out from your shoulder (from the side of you body) bend your elbow so your forearm is pointing up (your arm should be at a 90 degree angle) then rotate your arm up and down while keeping you elbow still. All this will strengthen your minor shoulder muscles which are usually forgotten.

I train guys with that description who can do that many pullups with little training. I’ve had guys with that description who have come in off the streets with no training who can do more pullups than the OP. He definitly is severely imbalanced regardless of bodyfat levels. Especially combined with no standing pressing.

You should consider doing Eric Cressey’s maximum strength program. It is 16 weeks and has a lot of pull up volume and a lot of obscure exercises I had never done that focus on shoulder health. Even if you don’t want to buy his book, read Cressey’s articles on this site. The man is a shoulder genius.

I train guys with that description who can do that many pullups with little training. I’ve had guys with that description who have come in off the streets with no training who can do more pullups than the OP. He definitly is severely imbalanced regardless of bodyfat levels. Especially combined with no standing pressing.[/quote]

I think you’re exaggerating. I assume his bench max is 310 so he could probably get 250 for 8. If he can pull that amount for 5, then that is not a huge difference in chest and back strength. How many people can actually pull more with their lats (getting their chin to the bar) then press with their chest?

Go see some medical professional with experience in lifting injuries…

All people can do over the net is guess.

Not exaggerating. The back has a lot more strength potential than the chest. A lb isn’t the same lb for the chest/back due to leverage and lever length difference, not to mention in a bench press the bench is doing all of the supporting. Added with no overhead pressing, there is a huge problem here.

Not exaggerating. The back has a lot more strength potential than the chest. A lb isn’t the same lb for the chest/back due to leverage and lever length difference, not to mention in a bench press the bench is doing all of the supporting. Added with no overhead pressing, there is a huge problem here.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying about the imbalance from not overhead pressing. But how many people are strong enough to do a pull up with 100 extra lbs when weighing 250 and then can only bench 310? I still don’t see how his back is very weak compared to his bench press.