Sharp Pain Between Delt & Bicep

As the subject says…I have been experiencing a sharp pain between my right front deltoid and bicep. Not sure how it happened but I just woke up one morning and it started to hurt when I moved it in a certain direction. The sharp pain seems to happen when im doing a shoulder press movement. I can also feel it a little bit while doing bench press but mostly the shoulder press. I was curious as to if anyone might have experienced this type of pain before and what they did to help recover from this? Thanks.

after further google searches i think i narrowed it down to a strained bicep tendon. RICE is called for…

Was curious…would it be fine to lift still but just avoid overhead presses (which is basically the only thing that causes it to hurt)?

I had a similar problem, but I experienced the most pain while benching. It tended to be worse while warming up, and was at least tolerable once I got going with the heavier weight. I would ice it at night before bed, but ultimately, I had to take a couple weeks off from benching to give it time to heal.

I had the same thing. I stopped BB benching for about a month, sticking to Hammer Strength machines. When it healed, I got back on the BB and hadn’t lost any strength.

I love those HS machines.

If it’s a bicep tendon issue:

1. Stop doing anything that irritates it, contact a medical professional.

2. Once you get back to training, you need to learn proper setup and technique for all pressing movements etc and learn how to avoid irritating the bicep tendon via pullups/chinups and such.

3. Muscles acting on the scapulae (particularly those retracting the scaps) need to be strengthened. Learn how to row for backthickness rather than turning rows into arm+lat exercises.
    Add inverted rows, face pulls and/or band pull-aparts, also definitely start doing the broomstick/towel stretch we often reference in here (check some of the alpha threads on shoulder issues, fattyfat mentions the thing and a google search input for it in one of the posts in the latest shoulder pain thread there).

4. Don’t go crazy with the pressing frequency. No one needs to bench three times a week. (some back exercises like pullups/chins can also pose a problem, or anything done with rounded/protracted shoulders).

Bicep tendon issues can be pretty much completely avoided by heeding the above points.
(hint: proper setup/technique/form is not what you read in most books or articles. Shit, books usually don’t mention setup at all beyond “lie down, take so and so -wide grip on the bar and press”, which obviously does not help whatsoever.
Textbook form is largely bullshit written by guys who have never lifted anything heavy in their lives, and practically always misses the important points.

Biceps tendon tears are often the result of deadlifting with a semisupinated grip, not direct biecps work (although it can happen).

You’re right, RICE is your best bet here. As long as you have this issue, you need to be sure that you won’t do anything to worsen the problem. Never think you can train through the pain of a legitimate injury.

thanks for the input/info guys. appreciate it.

[quote]Xab wrote:
Biceps tendon tears are often the result of deadlifting with a semisupinated grip, not direct biecps work (although it can happen).
[/quote] He’s not talking about the tendons at the elbow, but the one crossing the shoulder… That’s usually a problem with pressing, chinning etc. [quote]
You’re right, RICE is your best bet here. As long as you have this issue, you need to be sure that you won’t do anything to worsen the problem. Never think you can train through the pain of a legitimate injury. [/quote]

yea i was talking about the tendon that meets with the shoulder from bicep. And I was curious…could dips probably cause this? if im not flexible enough to go parallel. i kinda push myself to try as far as possible…could this cause the bicep tendon to be strained? i’m 240lbs roughly 30% bodyfat and do about 5 sets of 5-6 dips.

man im glad i found this thread because i just noticed the exact same issue in my right shoulder.

and its funny that you mentioned dips because the other night when i was working out i noticed that when i was doing dips my right shoulder would go down farther than my left shoulder. and i noticed the shooting pain later that workout doing standing barbell curls.

is this a symptom of of a strained bicep tendon also? my bicep feels fine, the issue seems more in the delt to bicep tendon.

[quote]SolidSnake5150 wrote:
…is this a symptom of RICE also? my bicep feels fine, the issue seems more in the delt to bicep tendon.[/quote]

???

RICE is an acronym referring to a treatment method addressing acute body injury… As in immediate sport injury first aid… As in Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

[quote]Ricochet wrote:
SolidSnake5150 wrote:
…is this a symptom of RICE also? my bicep feels fine, the issue seems more in the delt to bicep tendon.

???

RICE is an acronym referring to a treatment method addressing acute body injury… As in immediate sport injury first aid… As in Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.[/quote]

yup my bad… meant strained bicep tendon

bump