Sharing My Progress

Hi there,

New to the forums here. I am a novice powerlifter who just started 5 and a half months ago and I wanted to share my progress for anybody that cares or is just curious.

So Prior to powerlifting I was doing bodybuilding for 9 months. That’s my total training experience.

My lifts were (9 months of training):
Squat: 140kg
Bench(touch n go): 90kg
Deadlift:160kg

Then I switched to a powerlifting routine. At first I trained with a personal trainer and now I am being coached by Josh Hancott who is the junior IPF world champion in the 74kg division.

5-6 months later My lifts at 84kg BW are:
Squat: 185kg
Bench(paused): 102.5kg
Deadlift: 215kg

So an increase of 107.5kg or 236lbs to my total in this time. I even attempted a 220kg deadlift but couldn’t lock it out.

The first 2-3 months I gained strength so rapidly it was unbelievable. As a result of progressing to fast, I developed tendonitis on both my abductors. So my philosophy has changed. I prefer doing a program that has Steady gains rather than rapid gains in strength, because it means I can also focus on assistance movements and build my muscles and joints. I am using Josh Hancott’s off-season program and it serves that purpose perfectly!

Happy lifting!

Damn. how did ya do that? My lifts are similar to your initial lifts. What did you do during the 5-6 month period to get your lifts up so much?

[quote]Benanything wrote:
Damn. how did ya do that? My lifts are similar to your initial lifts. What did you do during the 5-6 month period to get your lifts up so much?[/quote]

Well, to be honest, I pretty much devoted the majority of my time to powerlifting. I do study at Uni and work at the same time, but training is my priority. I don’t go out, I don’t drink or smoke, I even stopped weed. Also, I am very consistent. I don’t skip sessions for any reason. Even when I was diagnosed with Abductor Tendonopathy I didn’t stop training. I have a passion for it so when you prioritize it as much as I do then you will see quicker results.

Also, I have this philosophy when I train to “always hit pr’s”. Say I am doing a 3x8 on my first week, then a 3x10 on the next week with squats. On the 3x8 I do it with 315lbs then the next week I push myself to do 315 for 10 reps. I usually get it. That’s a 2 rep increase in 1 week just by mentally telling myself to go harder. It’s mainly high volume/rep work that builds strength. If I don’t do well on my main lifts, I try to hit PR’s on my assistance movements.

That’s pretty much everything I do.

what’s your bodyweight? Nice progress.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
what’s your bodyweight? Nice progress.[/quote]

Thank you! I’m just under 84kg.

So basically, you pushed yourself to get stronger out of pure willpower and you mainly worked in the slightly higher rep ranges.

[quote]Benanything wrote:
So basically, you pushed yourself to get stronger out of pure willpower and you mainly worked in the slightly higher rep ranges.[/quote]

Essentially, yes lol. Basically every week the intensity and volume changed. Some progression would be like a 3x8 on one week, then 3x10 next week, then 3x12, then a 6x6 etc…I end with a 5x5 then test 1 rep max the week after. I always hit a heavy single (usually 90% 1 rep max) before my working sets. And I do a lot of assistance exercises. I am very accustomed to high volume so I prefer to stick with it. So with squats I did 315 for 8 on week 1, 315 for 10 on week 10, and got 12 on week 3 (which killed me - I ran and puked after every set).

Nice progress. Josh is very knowledgeable and gives great advice on his channel. I would probably go to him or Greg Nuckols if I decide to get a coach in the future. Did he provide you technique advice as well?

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Nice progress. Josh is very knowledgeable and gives great advice on his channel. I would probably go to him or Greg Nuckols if I decide to get a coach in the future. Did he provide you technique advice as well?[/quote]

Josh is a really great coach! his programming is really smart, the way the progression is outlined is pure gold. He does give technique analysis, you just need to send him some video clips of you. He has given me some good tips for the squat.