Shane Carwin

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Not sure if you guys have been keeping up on what this guy has been doing with his time away from the octagon, but he’s down to 255, from 285. Thoughts? I’m hoping he’ll be a little faster and better conditioned. [/quote]

I watched the BUD video’s and I didn’t like what I saw. I think his nutritionist is border line retarded. They cut 30 pounds from his once powerful physique and while during the process cut back on Carwin’s protein consumption. I think he’s been adversely effected by both his spinal surgery and the way he lost to Brock Lesnar.

I still think he can beat Dos Santo’s but I wouldn’t bet on it after seeing those video’s.[/quote]

I saw that too. Carwin said he’s cut his protein consumption to 1/5th of what it was. And, he looks significantly thinner than he did against Lesnar. But, Carwin said he’s a believer. Maybe he’s just doing this for this fight to keep his wind up and be more “fluid” to compete against a smaller, quicker Dos Santos? I was kinda thinking the same as you after seeing those vids, but maybe that’s just my inner meathead sad that he’s no longer ingesting small cows daily.[/quote]

And when his nutrionist said that he’s “much smaller now with even more power” I wanted to scream at the TV. Since when does someone lose muscle weight (which Carwin obviously did) and become more powerful?

Does anyone think that he’ll be able to punch like Carwin of old? This is a classic case of the pendulum swinging too far one way after it was too far the other way. A smart plan would have been to lose just 15 pounds of fat, which he had. And keep up the protein intake in the process. No, no, no…I don’t like what I saw one bit.

I bet he still packs the mactruck power.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Not sure if you guys have been keeping up on what this guy has been doing with his time away from the octagon, but he’s down to 255, from 285. Thoughts? I’m hoping he’ll be a little faster and better conditioned. [/quote]

I watched the BUD video’s and I didn’t like what I saw. I think his nutritionist is border line retarded. They cut 30 pounds from his once powerful physique and while during the process cut back on Carwin’s protein consumption. I think he’s been adversely effected by both his spinal surgery and the way he lost to Brock Lesnar.

I still think he can beat Dos Santo’s but I wouldn’t bet on it after seeing those video’s.[/quote]

I saw that too. Carwin said he’s cut his protein consumption to 1/5th of what it was. And, he looks significantly thinner than he did against Lesnar. But, Carwin said he’s a believer. Maybe he’s just doing this for this fight to keep his wind up and be more “fluid” to compete against a smaller, quicker Dos Santos? I was kinda thinking the same as you after seeing those vids, but maybe that’s just my inner meathead sad that he’s no longer ingesting small cows daily.[/quote]

And when his nutrionist said that he’s “much smaller now with even more power” I wanted to scream at the TV. Since when does someone lose muscle weight (which Carwin obviously did) and become more powerful?

Does anyone think that he’ll be able to punch like Carwin of old? This is a classic case of the pendulum swinging too far one way after it was too far the other way. A smart plan would have been to lose just 15 pounds of fat, which he had. And keep up the protein intake in the process. No, no, no…I don’t like what I saw one bit.
[/quote]

That’s funny, those are my exact thoughts about the “pendulum swinging too far” and the weight loss number. But, I think if he was 155lbs he’d still hit like a fucking cannon. I will say in his defense that each fight he’s had in the UFC he’s gotten noticably less muscular, but has progressed noticably as a fighter. If you look at his first fight versus his fight against Lesnar, he must’ve lost 20lbs of strictly muscle between the two, and actually looked a little softer. But, he looked crisper and more fluid, and his punching power actually seemed better, but that’s probably due to being more comfortable throwing 'em. And, none of those 30lbs came from his lunch pail hands.

power and mass have little to do with each other

not that I think the trainer has a clue.
its a hype video plain and simple

still have we really seen enough of either of these fighters, to judge definitively

how long have they combined been in fights something like 43 minutes?

Carwins mass loss might be part of a few things,
gassing like a goon
rehab and inactivity
and the 300lb elephant in the room AAS.
someone had to right??

carwin has the edge on big shots
not so sure that JDS has as heavy hands

I think its about game plans - who has the beter one
and who doesnt get chin checked first

I see people keep questioning JDS’ power by referencing one fight (the Nelson fight) where he landed some good shots but couldn’t finish him. Nelson is a tough dude who has only been stopped by strikes once in his career (to Arlovski). JDS has 7 tkos/ko’s on his record, as well as making Cro Cop quit, and some dude in Brazil who the doctor stopped the fight.

Both of these guys throw with bad intention, it’s just a matter of who lands first.

well, the protein thing is kinda wierd…Mike Dolce has been pretty vocal about cutting fighters protein consumption in order to increase their endurance. very high protein diets may alter the pH (to what degree is debateable), hence some of these guys changing this…Couture was a hige alkaline diet proponet because of this. Alves recently started workign with Dolce as well, and apparently cut back on his protein…

with that being said, who knows how much protein Carwin was eating? he might have been eating like shit, and is eating somethign like an athlete vs a bodybilder (hence the size change)

Many athletes feel better at first on all sorts of crazy diets.

Perhaps protein overconsumption is an issue with some hardworking athletes?
Perhaps his “newfound body composition” will let him train easier or longer and his techniques won’t be as powerful but have more spring and endurance?

I doubt it, though
A strange thing with MMA is, since it’s such a new sport and an extremely complex one, that the term training camp is thrown around like it’s comparable to kick/boxing or wrestling.
It’s not.
Normally, such an athlete has already build everything he needs and the camp just puts him in top shape AND adjusts his style a bit.
In MMA, this strategical adjustment, popularized as “gameplan” is often extremely overstressed (sometimes with good reason), while most fighters are far from being complete (three reasons: young sport with little structure, fighters often come from a distinct background that made up most of their athletic career, it’s the most complex martial sport.)

That means that a heavyweight like Carwin, recovering from surgery and changing his diet and body composition while making camp, seems to have a bit much on his hands.

It’s safe to say that he won’t surprise us with fancy stuff.

He will aggresively try to establish dominance, as long as he has something left in the tank.
He’ll try to get a hold of Dos Santos.
When he throws bombs he will close to clinch.
When he clinches, he’ll be the most dangerous, at least for half of the first round.

The quesions I have:
Will he be comfortable getting punched in the face?
Will he be ablt to cope in the late first round with his opponent’s solid footwork and beautiful hands?
Will he be able to just steamroll Dos Santos in the first minute and if that won’t work, how courageous will his heart be from that point?

As long as the brazilian had strong sparring partners for practising clinchwork, I can’t see Carwin getting this.
Dos Santos will weather the storm, if there is any (perhaps Carwin will surprise us here, see my thoughts on MMA training camps). He will establish distance and Carwin will get increasingly frustrated. Crisp combos will pepper the wrester’s face, who at this point will gas and look terrible.
In the late second round, this will largely be over and Carwin’s face will be raw.
TKO 2nd or 3rd.

nice analysis!

thanks, but beware: I was so off with Mir-Nelson.

If you’d be my pal and asked me right before the bout, “Dude 500 bucks on Mir”, I’d have been so in.

Let’s hope JDS doesn’t come up with fancy ideas like trying to shoot immediately for Carwin’s legs or something like that.
Really Roy, how could you!

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
thanks, but beware: I was so off with Mir-Nelson.

If you’d be my pal and asked me right before the bout, “Dude 500 bucks on Mir”, I’d have been so in.

Let’s hope JDS doesn’t come up with fancy ideas like trying to shoot immediately for Carwin’s legs or something like that.
Really Roy, how could you![/quote]

We both were off, i honestly tought Mir would come Gun-shy and Nelson would give him that big right overhand

Just something I noticed watching the budlight sponsored Camp Carwin videos last night, they were throwing some legkicks in training sessions too. I know a lot of guys train those kicks too even if they don’t use them so much. Might be just for the promo, but maybe it could also be their plan to take Junior’s footwork away?

WAR CARWIN, make him piss blood!

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Just something I noticed watching the budlight sponsored Camp Carwin videos last night, they were throwing some legkicks in training sessions too. I know a lot of guys train those kicks too even if they don’t use them so much. Might be just for the promo, but maybe it could also be their plan to take Junior’s footwork away?[/quote]

If he kicks as hard as he punches then he might snap JDS’s shin in half.

again, so he changes his diet, loses a bunch of weight, recovers from an injury and now…kicking?

In my expericence, the older and heavier you are, the less likely you are to learn kicking.

Carwin won’t kick extensivly, a front kick maybe, maaaaybe a lowkick or two, though I find it highly doubtful.

Even if a single roundhouse kick might be strong against pads, this is no kickboxing.
Single kicks are relatively dangerous, while integrating kicks into combinations or setups takes a lot of time to use naturally.
And Carwin’s hands are already loaded with TNT while his wrestling isn’t too shabby either.

While a single frontkick thrown to keep JDS puzzling might be an option, I see little use regarding Carwin’s most probable gameplan (rush and kill). Beyond the 2 minute mark, when it’s about huffing and puffing, a bad kick from the defense can be an awful way to get countered.

I’ll rename myself to “Faggotfahrer” if Carwin KOs JDS with a frontkick.

Carwin by flying gogoplata or Crane Kick is my prediction after your analysis =)

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Just something I noticed watching the budlight sponsored Camp Carwin videos last night, they were throwing some legkicks in training sessions too. I know a lot of guys train those kicks too even if they don’t use them so much. Might be just for the promo, but maybe it could also be their plan to take Junior’s footwork away?[/quote]

I think it’s for promo. Kind of reminds me when Royce Gracie fought Matt Hughes and they showed Royce at Fairtex throwing kicks. Didn’t do those kicks during the fight.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

I’ll rename myself to “Faggotfahrer” if Carwin KOs JDS with a frontkick.[/quote]

Be careful I heard he was working with Steven Seagal —Kidding.

I’ll reiterate what I’ve been saying all along. If it is the Carwin of old he will take out Dos Santos in the first round. If his weight loss, spinal surgery or the long lay off has any effect then it will be a different fight.

I just watched JDS open training for UFC 131 and i admit i’m scared by his hand speed, if Carwin doesn’t come quick he might be in for a bad night.

I’m pulling for Carwin because he is older, and this me be his best shot at being champ. I do like both guys, but very respectful.