Shamrock vs. Baroni

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Shamrock absolutely rubs me the wrong way, and even though Baroni runs his mouth like a 3 year old for some reason he doesn’t get to me like Frank. Of course, there I sat watching him and giving him my money so I guess he’s doing something right.

You’re a sophisticated fan, so I don’t get why Shamrock “rubs you the wrong way.” Personally, I don’t care about a fighter’s attitude. Someone could come into the ring/octagon with a rose in his mouth. I wouldn’t care. I just want to see their skills.

Shamrock brings it. I doubt I would want to be friends with the guy. But this literally means nothing to me or whether I’d buy a PPV. [/quote]

I agree, but what rubs me wrong about Shamrock and his comeback is that he is trying to sell it based on his brash personality, which also seems to go against what you believe a fight should be based on. He even reiterated the point on Beatdown Radio that he has no desire to fight anyone who he think can beat him. He just wants to make money and will only fight opponents he can hand pick.

Baroni and Renzo, while definetely not cans, are fighters that Frank wanted to fight simply because he knew he could beat them based on their one dimensional nature. He then went out of his way to create some beef with them, and viola he made $1.3 million from fighting Baroni according to CSAC.

That is what bothers me about him, he plans to waste the talent he has and sell fights based on manufactured feuds. There is too much talent out there for me to waste too much time caring about Frank’s exploits unless he plans to step up.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the infamous takedown on fedor by kevin randleman, not eastman.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Shamrock absolutely rubs me the wrong way, and even though Baroni runs his mouth like a 3 year old for some reason he doesn’t get to me like Frank. Of course, there I sat watching him and giving him my money so I guess he’s doing something right.

You’re a sophisticated fan, so I don’t get why Shamrock “rubs you the wrong way.” Personally, I don’t care about a fighter’s attitude. Someone could come into the ring/octagon with a rose in his mouth. I wouldn’t care. I just want to see their skills.

Shamrock brings it. I doubt I would want to be friends with the guy. But this literally means nothing to me or whether I’d buy a PPV.

I agree, but what rubs me wrong about Shamrock and his comeback is that he is trying to sell it based on his brash personality, which also seems to go against what you believe a fight should be based on. He even reiterated the point on Beatdown Radio that he has no desire to fight anyone who he think can beat him. He just wants to make money and will only fight opponents he can hand pick.

Baroni and Renzo, while definetely not cans, are fighters that Frank wanted to fight simply because he knew he could beat them based on their one dimensional nature. He then went out of his way to create some beef with them, and viola he made $1.3 million from fighting Baroni according to CSAC.

That is what bothers me about him, he plans to waste the talent he has and sell fights based on manufactured feuds. There is too much talent out there for me to waste too much time caring about Frank’s exploits unless he plans to step up.[/quote]

You’re the most knowledgeable MMA fan on this board, IMO, but I disagree with you here. You just described Baroni, not Shamrock. Baroni has a fluke win over Suloev, wins over a few decent (B-level) opponents and quite a few losses yet according to him in his sub-Soprano-ish interviews he’s beaten the greatest fighters in the world and keeps getting screwed out of “title shots” by some vast conspiracy.

Frank may have known he would beat Baroni, but most of the internet didn’t. The odds were also close to even. Even Frank would admit Baroni had a punchers chance.

As far as his beefs, his youtube attacks on Josh Thompson and Baroni were hilarious – although not quite the embarrassing verbal beatdown that Matt Lindland gave Baroni before their fight.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Shamrock brings it. I doubt I would want to be friends with the guy. But this literally means nothing to me or whether I’d buy a PPV.

That is what bothers me about him, he plans to waste the talent he has and sell fights based on manufactured feuds. There is too much talent out there for me to waste too much time caring about Frank’s exploits unless he plans to step up.[/quote]

That’s what bothers me about Shamrock, too. Had the UFC not blown up in terms of popularity, I doubt we’d be seeing Frank competing again.

Like Ortiz, he’s obviously got a good business sense, which many other fighters don’t have. At least Tito fights top-level guys, while Shamrock is content to live off his decade-old legacy and not push himself to actually try and solidify that legacy.

[quote]Evilmage wrote:
I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the infamous takedown on fedor by kevin randleman, not eastman.[/quote]

my bad.

[quote]Evilmage wrote:
I’m pretty sure he’s talking about the infamous takedown on fedor by kevin randleman, not eastman.[/quote]

LOL. Yeah, I think pretty much everyone who actually follows MMA already knew that. Donut’s post wreaked of sarcasm.

I’ve met Frank, and he’s a nice, down to earth guy in real life. But, he’s also a showman and all that shit talking is just part of his act.

Now, honestly I wish he hadn’t adopted that persona, but I guess if it sells fights then he must be doing something right. I personally don’t like guys who talk all kinds of shit either. And had I not met Frank, I would probably feel the same way that a lot of you guys do.

I understand what Calilaw is saying concerning fighting skill being more important that personality. But, I think we’d all have to admit that it’s easier to like guys who have both good fighting skill and a good humble personality.

Randy Couture is probably the most liked person in MMA today, not only because he is a phenomenal fighter (especially at 40+ year of age), but also because he is just such a likeable human being. He’s humble, doesn’t talk shit, is not a sore loser, and is willing to fight anybody in MMA today.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Screw Shamrock v Baroni, who else was impressed by Cung Le?

That was the most entertaining fight I’ve seen in a while, Frykland must’ve been hit by every kick known to man, heck Cung Le even tried an axe kick!

This guy is special, I’m not saying he’s going to own the middleweight division just yet, he needs some tougher opposition (maybe face Shamrock for the title?) and I haven’t seen his ground skills. But for sure he is great to watch and has so much ability, I’m willing to bet he’ll be the next big thing in the middleweight class.