Shamrock v Baroni

This was a great brawl that lived up to the hype.

Frank looked pretty good and it was a pleasant surprise. He did look very gassed but, if his post fight interview is to be believed, he injured his ACL in training which, if true, affected his ability to train.

I’d like to see him get back in the mix and prove himself against the best in the division, but it’s a shame cos I doubt he’ll ever do UFC or Pride.

I still don’t like his attitude though. He’s just a too full of himself for my liking.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/baroni/video/x2covi_strikeforce-frank-shamrock-vs-phil

Thanks for reminding me, I dont have showtime or friends. decent fight. baroni got tooled hard in the first, and was even out early on with that combo and into the first failed guillotine attempt.

IMO baroni has always been a gamer. He looks like he may have laid off the sauce as well. he used to show up to fights looking like he could compete in a BB show if he wanted.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/cung%2Ble%20tony/video/x2cpal_strikeforce-cung-le-vs-tony-fryklun

A fight of Cung Le and Tony Fryklund. Can’t wait to see Cung Le fight some more. And it just so happens that he would be in the same weight class as GSP.

I’m going to laugh my ass off when they run out of dumb fucks who will stand in front of Cung Le and he gets his head caved in with elbows and his arm snapped off.

Seriously, any deceny Kyoushikan fighter could put on a similar display against Fryklund in that fight. He shouldv’e just fought a heavybag.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I’m going to laugh my ass off when they run out of dumb fucks who will stand in front of Cung Le and he gets his head caved in with elbows and his arm snapped off.

Seriously, any deceny Kyoushikan fighter could put on a similar display against Fryklund in that fight. He shouldv’e just fought a heavybag.[/quote]

Yeah nice to watch, and especially good for attracting new fans. But as you said, sooner or later they’re gonna put him in there with a grappler who’s going to want to take him down…and he’s gonna get the shit pounded out of him.

[quote]kligor wrote:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/cung%2Ble%20tony/video/x2cpal_strikeforce-cung-le-vs-tony-fryklun

A fight of Cung Le and Tony Fryklund. Can’t wait to see Cung Le fight some more. And it just so happens that he would be in the same weight class as GSP.[/quote]

Cung Le is a middleweight (185) and GSP is welterweight (170). If he went to the UFC he would have to fight the likes of Anderson Silva, which would be interesting…but only after he’s gotten a lot more experience. Not sure if he’ll go to the UFC anytime soon though.

I just watched the fight (Shamrock/Baroni). Yup, Baroni pretty much got tooled. But Shamrock just doesn’t seem to be able to help being a douchebag at every available opportunity. WTF was up with those rabbit punches?? He was doing fine regardless; it was totally unnecessary.

Oh well.

On an unrelated note, rumor has it that Fedor is really, really close to signing with the UFC. That heavyweight division is getting REALLY interesting.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
kligor wrote:

A fight of Cung Le and Tony Fryklund. Can’t wait to see Cung Le fight some more. And it just so happens that he would be in the same weight class as GSP.

Cung Le is a middleweight (185) and GSP is welterweight (170). If he went to the UFC he would have to fight the likes of Anderson Silva, which would be interesting…but only after he’s gotten a lot more experience. Not sure if he’ll go to the UFC anytime soon though.[/quote]

Actually, last night, Cung Le weighed in at 179, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t know how much more of a stretch it is for him to make 9 more pounds. GSP himself is a very big welterweight, and has to cut quite a bit.

Of course Cung Le has to get quite a bit more experience, but in the fast-paced world of MMA, all that could happen in under 18 months.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

Seriously, any deceny Kyoushikan fighter could put on a similar display against Fryklund in that fight. He shouldv’e just fought a heavybag.[/quote]

Yes, it was a complete mismatch, but this is still very early in Cung Le’s MMA career. The level of opposition builds up gradually. Most, if not all guys at the top right now fought bums in their first few fights.

However, you do have a point that since it is early in his career, it’s very difficult to gauge how good he really is, as he’s never been put up against a serious opponent.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

Seriously, any deceny Kyoushikan fighter could put on a similar display against Fryklund in that fight. He shouldv’e just fought a heavybag.

Yes, it was a complete mismatch, but this is still very early in Cung Le’s MMA career. The level of opposition builds up gradually. Most, if not all guys at the top right now fought bums in their first few fights.

However, you do have a point that since it is early in his career, it’s very difficult to gauge how good he really is, as he’s never been put up against a serious opponent.[/quote]

That’s pretty much what I’m getting at. Everyone is jumping all over him because he has a flashy style, but not once has he had to stray outside of his kickboxing background.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

That’s pretty much what I’m getting at. Everyone is jumping all over him because he has a flashy style, but not once has he had to stray outside of his kickboxing background.[/quote]

I’d love to see him match up against Paulo Filho and try all of those fancy spinning back kicks and axe kicks. Paulo would have him down on the ground and mounted in a matter of seconds.

I really can’t wait to see Paulo fight in a cage with legalized elbows. He’s going to demolish people.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

That’s pretty much what I’m getting at. Everyone is jumping all over him because he has a flashy style, but not once has he had to stray outside of his kickboxing background.

I’d love to see him match up against Paulo Filho and try all of those fancy spinning back kicks and axe kicks. Paulo would have down on the ground and mounted in a matter of seconds.

I really can’t wait to see Paulo & fight in a cage with legalized elbows. He’s going to demolish people.[/quote]

Yes, it will be absolutely frightening. He’s going to rip peoples arms off and beat the corpse with them.