Shamrock-Ortiz III

Ortiz wins.

[quote]naughtybox wrote:
Ortiz wins.[/quote]

Decisively.

Way to bury the hatchet though. Little bit of respect to Shamrock.

It was almost an exact repeat of Ortiz-Shamrock II.

I sorta felt bad for Shamrock…he was like somebody’s dad still trying to fight.

Faster than I thought.

I almost want to say Shamrock didn’t really care too much about the fight, knew he was going to lose, and knew he was going to give his retirement speech tonight.

Yeah. I was kind of hoping Shamrock would win, but I knew it wasn’t going to happen. He’s got my respect, though.

Another win by Ortiz as expected. I think Shamrock is just too stubborn to ever beat Ortiz. He let himself get into the same situation so he could prove that he could triumph in the end. Anyways, I felt cheated in the last one, and at least there were some good shots landed in this one.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
ArcaneCocaine wrote:
jmwintenn wrote:
Personally I was pissed with the outcome of the last fight,shamrock starts bleeding a little and the ref calls it.It was utter bs,so they had better not do that again.

Not by a long shot. It was the 7 or so elbows to the head with no action on Shamrock’s part to defend himself. Brilliant call. Blood is not the only factor, I’ve seen fights were guys bleed like crazy and it wasn’t really a danger.
Herb Dean really is a great ref.

However, I think it’s official that Big John is reffing this one.

Donut: As for the outcome. Tito by GNP 2:90 1st round.

I also want to bring up Tito’s fight with Forrest. That 1st round I thought they were going to scrape Forrest out of the ring. The difference in skill was so apparent. Then Tito’s back screwed up.

(Really tired ignore the fact that I’m probably not making much sense etc. :stuck_out_tongue: )

You’re not making much sense, Herb Dean sucks.

BJ Penn took 47 unanswered blows to the head by Matt Hughes before they stopped it. Gracie took 28 or 29 to the back of the head before they stopped it.

Dean jumped the gun mainly because he sucks.
[/quote]

I disagree. Shammies head was bouncing off the mat with every shot and he did nothing to change this. Meaning he was not intelligently defending himself which under the rules is when a stoppage should occur.

As for Penn you have to look at the force of the blows. Tito’s Elbows > then Matt’s punches(for their weight classes). Especially in the position they were in, Tito could apply full force Matt could not. Plus Penn’s chin > then Ken’s. As for Gracie he at least had his hands in a defensive position.

People thought Herb stopped the Mir/Sylvia fight early. But Herb saved Sylvia’s arm…somewhat.

I’m not trying to turn this into a stupid arguement. However, please give some other examples of Herb dean’s shitty reffing.

[quote]ArcaneCocaine wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
ArcaneCocaine wrote:
jmwintenn wrote:
Personally I was pissed with the outcome of the last fight,shamrock starts bleeding a little and the ref calls it.It was utter bs,so they had better not do that again.

Not by a long shot. It was the 7 or so elbows to the head with no action on Shamrock’s part to defend himself. Brilliant call. Blood is not the only factor, I’ve seen fights were guys bleed like crazy and it wasn’t really a danger.
Herb Dean really is a great ref.

However, I think it’s official that Big John is reffing this one.

Donut: As for the outcome. Tito by GNP 2:90 1st round.

I also want to bring up Tito’s fight with Forrest. That 1st round I thought they were going to scrape Forrest out of the ring. The difference in skill was so apparent. Then Tito’s back screwed up.

(Really tired ignore the fact that I’m probably not making much sense etc. :stuck_out_tongue: )

You’re not making much sense, Herb Dean sucks.

BJ Penn took 47 unanswered blows to the head by Matt Hughes before they stopped it. Gracie took 28 or 29 to the back of the head before they stopped it.

Dean jumped the gun mainly because he sucks.

I disagree. Shammies head was bouncing off the mat with every shot and he did nothing to change this. Meaning he was not intelligently defending himself which under the rules is when a stoppage should occur.

As for Penn you have to look at the force of the blows. Tito’s Elbows > then Matt’s punches(for their weight classes). Especially in the position they were in, Tito could apply full force Matt could not. Plus Penn’s chin > then Ken’s. As for Gracie he at least had his hands in a defensive position.

People thought Herb stopped the Mir/Sylvia fight early. But Herb saved Sylvia’s arm…somewhat.

I’m not trying to turn this into a stupid arguement. However, please give some other examples of Herb dean’s shitty reffing.

[/quote]

LOL you just gave one Mir/Sylvia.

Herb Dean sucks!

McCarthy did a good job last night. Herb Dean should move to Austraila and live under an assumed name.

Did Herb Dean get shit canned by the UFC? I saw him reffing a match in an IFL show that aired last Sunday.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
ArcaneCocaine wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:

LOL you just gave one Mir/Sylvia.

Herb Dean sucks!

McCarthy did a good job last night. Herb Dean should move to Austraila and live under an assumed name.

[/quote]

??? Every fan in the audience was booing that decision until they saw the replay of his arm bending where it shouldn’t have bent. You’re saying he should have let the fight go on??

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:
Did Herb Dean get shit canned by the UFC? I saw him reffing a match in an IFL show that aired last Sunday.

[/quote]

No. Ref’s can “work” for multiple organizations, really they are under the athletic commision.

Well… Ken got ‘Shamrocked’ once again.

I expected Ortiz to win. and i do like him more than Ken, but i thought Tito was a bit disrespectfull last night…

even when Ken was giving his “farewell” speech, Tito had to come over and make himeself part of the moment…
Like him or not, i feel like he’s put his time in and deserved to have a moment to himself.

I wasnt thrilled with Ken’s comments after the fight, “hey man, we’ve both made alot of money off of this” (or something to that effect)
Not that boxing matches arent the same way, it just makes it seem it was more for show/hype than a real hatred.

oh i’ll hate you as long as i’m getting paid for it, then when i’m done and retired, we can play nice…
blah

Shamrock got destroyed…
It was a farce…

But hey at least it was free so I wasnt too annoyed…

What did annoy me was that Tito is an immature jerk…
He just beat Ken and had to do the middle finger thing to him…
And then Ken went out of his way to congratulate him and Tito finally relented and Joe and other announcer gushed about how Tito was growing up in front of their eyes… Lame.

I turned it off after that.

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
I expected Ortiz to win. and i do like him more than Ken, but i thought Tito was a bit disrespectfull last night…

even when Ken was giving his “farewell” speech, Tito had to come over and make himeself part of the moment…
Like him or not, i feel like he’s put his time in and deserved to have a moment to himself.

I wasnt thrilled with Ken’s comments after the fight, “hey man, we’ve both made alot of money off of this” (or something to that effect)
Not that boxing matches arent the same way, it just makes it seem it was more for show/hype than a real hatred.

oh i’ll hate you as long as i’m getting paid for it, then when i’m done and retired, we can play nice…
blah
[/quote]

I think the whole thing was a setup personally. You don’t go from two guys hating each other before the fight to two guys giving each other respect after its over.

They had patched things up long before this fight is my guess. Also neither fighter looked as intense as they normally do when they walk into the ring.

As for Tito taking the spot light during Ken’s speech. I think that was actually an ok move. Since he was offering respect to Ken. Something Tito most likely wouldn’t do even to get into the spot light unless he meant it.

Thought it was a shame to see Ken lose again like that. At 42, you have to wonder if it’s just too old to compete at that level, or if he could have even beat Tito in his prime.

Either way, I thought it was a nice move on both of their parts at the end of the fight to show some respect for the other.

Monopoly

Glad this is finally over now.

Ortiz-Liddell II should be very interesting. I think Tito will fight smarter this time around and the fight should go longer. Liddell is a beast, though, and can stop a fight with 1 punch, so he has an advantage. But, if Tito can avoid the big strike and work his ground and pound game to some degree of success, I could see him winning by decision.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Glad this is finally over now.

Ortiz-Liddell II should be very interesting. I think Tito will fight smarter this time around and the fight should go longer. Liddell is a beast, though, and can stop a fight with 1 punch, so he has an advantage. But, if Tito can avoid the big strike and work his ground and pound game to some degree of success, I could see him winning by decision.[/quote]

Tito has one of the best ground and pound games in the sport. That being said, Chuck just stands up while against the fence after being taken down. It’s amazing to me. I don’t see Tito keeping him on the ground like he does other opponents. In my opinion, it’s only a matter of time before Chuck knocks him out. One thing is certain; Tito better not try to stand up with him again!

I remember years ago in the black-out era I was so nhb-starved I would overpay for poor-quality bootleg videos of vale tudo events from Japan and Brazil and dream that one day we’d see MMA cards on television.

Now that the day has arrived it’s all a little underwhelming. Maybe I’m just burnt out. Ortiz II was unnecessary, let alone this fiasco.

This was free, so I won’t say too much about Shamrock-Ortiz III, or the fact that there was about 20 minutes of fighting in the 2 hour time slot, but I’m also dissapointed in the PPVs.

There’s too many of them, which means a lot of filler matches – does anyone really have any interest in Nickels vs Jardine? I might still watch for the Franklin fight and to see Sherk maul Florian, but as far as the rest of the card goes, I could care less.

Also, the old school fighters need to do a Rickson and just disappear before they tarnish their legendary status. I imagine it’s a bit like watching Willie Mays stumble around the outfield for the Mets in the early 70’s. Tank got humiliated last Saturday. Royce and Ken keep getting dominated. Your day has passed. Move on.

Holy fucking gyno batman, Ken really needs to get on some anti-e. His tits were flopping more than Jenna Jameson’s.

Well, just what I figured. Lame, but free, so I guess I can’t bitch. Bring on Real Deal, I want to see me some Fedor.

[quote]Jack_Dempsey wrote:
I remember years ago in the black-out era I was so nhb-starved I would overpay for poor-quality bootleg videos of vale tudo events from Japan and Brazil and dream that one day we’d see MMA cards on television.

Now that the day has arrived it’s all a little underwhelming. Maybe I’m just burnt out. Ortiz II was unnecessary, let alone this fiasco.

This was free, so I won’t say too much about Shamrock-Ortiz III, or the fact that there was about 20 minutes of fighting in the 2 hour time slot, but I’m also dissapointed in the PPVs.

There’s too many of them, which means a lot of filler matches – does anyone really have any interest in Nickels vs Jardine? I might still watch for the Franklin fight and to see Sherk maul Florian, but as far as the rest of the card goes, I could care less.
[/quote]

I agree. I’m glad to see the UFC growing, but I’ve been pretty disappointed overall. Hughes-Penn delivered, but other than that I’m not willing to drop coin on any of their recent events. Maybe I was just spoiled after watching the superb boxing match of Adamek-Briggs this weekend, that shit had me on the edge of my seat. Or maybe I’m still spoiled from Pride Final Conflict.

Pride has problems of their own, but few of them involve quality fights and stacked cards (real deal looks weak though). If only they could combine Pride’s action and talent with UFC’s marketing savvy…