T Nation

Shaming People

In the thin privilege thread I posted an article making a case for fat shaming.

Now here’s another article I’ve come across regarding shaming pregnant teens.

If shaming proved to be an effective strategy, would you be in favour of it in some cases? If so which ones?

Here’s the the fat shaming article I posted in the other thread

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/01/24/16664866-fat-shaming-may-curb-obesity-bioethicist-says?lite

Don’t people already shame it? Obviously that is not working.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Don’t people already shame it? Obviously that is not working.[/quote]

Not really, no.

The fat acceptance movement has really taken steam.

On the teen pregnancy side, slut shaming has largely gone away.

I’m not sure how I feel about the teen pregnancy shaming. I don’t think I’m qualified to make that decision.

I’m all for fat shaming. The negatives that come from fat shaming will be far outweighed by the positives. Our healthcare system is really bogged down by people who don’t eat well and exercise. I don’t think I should tell people how to live, but if it’s really affecting me, then it becomes appropriate.

In the next decade I think we will see more and more changes regarding healthy habits and insurance rates.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

If shaming proved to be an effective strategy, would you be in favour of it in some cases? If so which ones?[/quote]

You of all people should understand that shaming doesn’t work as intended. I regularly shame your pitiful knowledge of the inner workings of the game of baseball in the MLB thread, and yet, you continue to post your nonsensical dribble in there anyways.

if you shame teens who become pregnant then why not shame poor women who become pregnant?

As a matter of fact, societal shame used to be an extremely effective method to assure adherence to collectively agreed upon rules of morality and propriety. It is only a recent development in the history of most human societies that, finally, and ironically, the act of shaming, itself, is the one shame-able offense we’ve decided to allow.

Maybe we should think about that.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Don’t people already shame it? Obviously that is not working.[/quote]

Not really, no.

The fat acceptance movement has really taken steam.

On the teen pregnancy side, slut shaming has largely gone away.

[/quote]

Well what came first, the fat acceptance movement or the fat people? At the time when obesity was first on the rise, shaming did nothing to stop it. If it didn’t work back then, it has no hope now.

Fuck Political Correctness which I find to be the basis for what Cortes has so elequently written.
We need to bring it back in a Fast and Furious way.

BrownDistaster has a valid point. Look what was the fallout from the State of Mississippi from Mayor Bloombergs idea of outlawing the purchase of more than a 16oz soda at a time. The State with the Highest Obesity rate in the nation is voting to NOT put nutritional labels on their food product. Yet these are the same people who want smaller govt yet BEG like a wounded dog when they need hurricane or natural disaster relief funds.

Well people, how about we let the South Defect from the Union ? (sorry for the digression).

I do not want to pay for your Blatant STUPIDITY any more. You want to get fat, obese and retarded,
cool. Like Death to Fitness’s tag line says…Sprint, Kill, Eat.

The fatter you are the slower you are, and the TASTIER you are…

[quote]therajraj wrote:

If shaming proved to be an effective strategy, would you be in favour of it in some cases? If so which ones?[/quote]

Well, being that we’re quickly approaching the point where it is taboo to even suggest that a certain lifestyle choice or consequence could ever possibly be considered “wrong” in any case whatsoever without being accused of being hateful, racist, or some other Orwellian epithet, I find myself kind of pining for the bad old days when it was still okay tell the girl having serial unprotected sexual encounters with men she hardly knows while that she’s is not only idiotic but irresponsible; and while she deserves whatever fate befalls her, her children will not deserve to suffer the consequences of her selfish myopia.

We used to do that, you know. And, funny enough, there wasn’t as much of that sort of problem. I know correlation is not causation. I’m just spitballin ideas here. Don’t cha know.

One of the many problems with shaming is that it depends upon the one being shamed to have a weakened sense of self-worth. It also needs the person being shamed to substitute the judgement of the group for their own.

If I am confident in my worth as a human, your judgement means nothing to me. Which is frankly why shaming seems to work on those who are at a particularly vulnerable point in their lives eg: pregnant teens. Why aren’t people trying to shame Sandra Bullock or Charlize Theron, both of whom are now single parents (albeit through adoption)? Or more accurately, why does shame not seem to work?

I’ll go out on a limb and say that the main purpose of shame is to allow the shamer to feel morally superior. The psychic punishment inflicted upon the object of that shame is almost secondary.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
As a matter of fact, societal shame used to be an extremely effective method to assure adherence to collectively agreed upon rules of morality and propriety. It is only a recent development in the history of most human societies that, finally, and ironically, the act of shaming, itself, is the one shame-able offense we’ve decided to allow.

Maybe we should think about that.

[/quote]

I fully agree. Basically all civilizations have some form of shaming to keep the status quo, usually in a much harsher manner than in the U.S. We have become so pussified by the media that things like shaming others for the benefit of the common good are shamed in itself.

Most girls I went to high school with that got pregnant were dumbasses with no future to begin with. So they are leaving their kids worse of than themselves, because they have to be raised by this fucktard of an “adult” who has no education or skills.

I have no problem with “slutty” people. I thought the negative association was about being too stupid to use/understand birth control.

I think in the end a “campaign of shaming” won’t work. As Dr. Pangloss said it depends on your self worth but on top of that the world has changed from what it use to be. Social interactions have gone to the internet while metropolitan areas grow and people don’t even know their neighbors.

And if all that wasn’t enough to convince you shame no longer works you can now find a support group for anything.

I haven’t looked at other countries but smoking has been on a steady decline in the last 10 years.

While there are other factors involved and I can’t tie it directly to shaming, I will say considerable shaming takes place here.

Tv ads, graphic pictures on packs, how to quit smoking guide with each pack, pamphlets at schools and increased restrictions on where smokers can light up.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-625-x/2012001/article/11668-eng.htm

I also will bet fat people have lower levels of self worth on average. Also that females would be more responsive to shaming than males.

My only problem with is that we live in what is suppose to be a free country right? I can freely do as I please as long as my decisions are within the legal docterine right? People need to feel their decisions more! If you choose to get pregnant as a teen then you take all the responsibilty for that decision.

If you choose to be fat then you pay higher medical costs, your life insurance is more expensive, ect, and you bear all of those costs your self, you can not come to the healthy people or the govt and expect to have your decisions subsidized!

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
One of the many problems with shaming is that it depends upon the one being shamed to have a weakened sense of self-worth. It also needs the person being shamed to substitute the judgement of the group for their own.

If I am confident in my worth as a human, your judgement means nothing to me. Which is frankly why shaming seems to work on those who are at a particularly vulnerable point in their lives eg: pregnant teens. Why aren’t people trying to shame Sandra Bullock or Charlize Theron, both of whom are now single parents (albeit through adoption)? Or more accurately, why does shame not seem to work?

I’ll go out on a limb and say that the main purpose of shame is to allow the shamer to feel morally superior. The psychic punishment inflicted upon the object of that shame is almost secondary.[/quote]

Really? I’m not sure if you were putting that forth as some form of argument, but if you were, you didn’t seem to put much thought into it.
People don’t shame Sandra Bullock or Charlize Theron for adopting kids because they’re in a position where doing so doesn’t negatively affect them or the child.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.