T Nation

Shaklee, Is It Garbage?

I am sure this is an MLM scam instead of a real company. However, many people I know trust this because their friends use their products and sell them, and a lot of great athletes have used Shaklee. Here’s my challenge to the experts here. Prove that this is garbage, at least compared to most other companies.

I trust Biotest and I have loved this site for a long time, but I have inadequate knowledge of nutrition to speak about this other brand with confidence.

I’m still a newbie at this point, with nutrition and lifting, but I can still smell a rat. Or, at least I think I can. Please help me out here. Or, more accurately, help me help my friends, if they even need help at all.

I have a friend who sells and swears by them. He has tried to turn me on to them for a while, I would also like to know more about their products, i’ve found that they are very expensive compared to like products!

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I am sure this is an MLM scam instead of a real company. However, many people I know trust this because their friends use their products and sell them, and a lot of great athletes have used Shaklee. Here’s my challenge to the experts here. Prove that this is garbage, at least compared to most other companies.

I trust Biotest and I have loved this site for a long time, but I have inadequate knowledge of nutrition to speak about this other brand with confidence.

I’m still a newbie at this point, with nutrition and lifting, but I can still smell a rat. Or, at least I think I can. Please help me out here. Or, more accurately, help me help my friends, if they even need help at all.[/quote]

shaklee a scam ?? they’ve been in business a looong time.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
However, many people I know trust this because their friends use their products and sell them, …[/quote]

Isn’t that the whole point of Shaklee and MLM - turn your friends into customers and an income stream? Notice I didn’t mention “profit”. A hard working friend of mine ended up getting a second mortgage on his house in order to pay off the debt his wife incurred participating in a nutritional supplement MLM.

Amway has been in business for a long time too, and I consider it a scam. It’s unfair to trick people into buying products because they trust their friends, when they don’t know or don’t want to think their friends are just into it for profit.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Amway has been in business for a long time too, and I consider it a scam. It’s unfair to trick people into buying products because they trust their friends, when they don’t know or don’t want to think their friends are just into it for profit.[/quote]

i’ve never bought anything from shaklee or amway but i don’t see how they’re tricking people ? their website is just like any other…the prices are high but less if you’re a member and buy alot of stuff…seems just like any other buying club.

are they somehow ripping people off ?

Being a member means trying to sell this stuff to your friends. MLM companies often sell inferior products compared to others, but get away with it because they get people to trick their friends into getting them.

The Shaklee web site sells soy protein and other questionable products. This one has “homeopathic” ingredients.

www.shaklee.com/product/20387

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Being a member means trying to sell this stuff to your friends. MLM companies often sell inferior products compared to others, but get away with it because they get people to trick their friends into getting them.

The Shaklee web site sells soy protein and other questionable products. This one has “homeopathic” ingredients.

www.shaklee.com/product/20387[/quote]

lots of people sell “inferior” stuff. i would go so far as to say that selling inferior product is the norm and that quality products are the minority.

how are they “tricking” people ?

Shaklee is like Advocare or any other MLM nutritional company. They do have decent products but as with most mlm companies they are overpriced. I recently looked into joining one of these companies to make some extra money, including Shaklee. I decided not to join Shaklee but did run across a great oppurtunity called ITV Ventures, you can find more info www.itvventures.com/bigjon