T Nation

Shakey and Weak?

Hey TMuscle,
I’m just starting to work out regularly. Im abou 6’ 3" and about 200 LBS. I am strong to a degree but not my chest. Yesterday i was benching and i was getting so shakey that i couldnt even get my last set finished. I do semi-high weights and do 3 sets of 10/8/6. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why this is?

Thanks,
Ben

Work on developing those smaller muscles that help control balance. Like you said, you just started. Do some pull-ups, push-ups, and dips. You’ll get there.

yeah try higher reps for a while to get used to the motion, also like airborne said, push-ups and their variations are good, also try them with one arm higher than the other etc, it helps a fair bit. good luck

you also may not be utilizing your whole body to stabilize yourself. watch a video of dorian yates

better yet heres one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgHaF9oD1U&feature=related

see how the whole lift is one motion? he is projecting his energy into the resistence, as opposed to trying to muscle it up.

thats level of coordination is a skill however, just try make every rep as smooth and clean and purposeful as you can.

and if you’re shakin so hard you cant lift the weight, maybe your too tired to lift the weight

To answer your question; your body is trying to create an internal force to overcome the weight that you are placing on it.

Are you saying this was a weight you’ve normally lifted without shaking this bad? As in it freaked you out because it was causing you to shake and feel weak this time? If so, could have been you went to the gym on an empty stomach. I’ve been lifting with a newbie buddy of mine for about four months now and the first thing I had to drill in him was to eat enough during the day that he was fueled before our workout. Otherwise he’d feel as you do shaky and weak.

If this doesn’t apply then I’d think the weight was too much for you and you need to drop a little to where you can hit six to eight solid reps with decent form before form goes to crap.

D

Thanks a ton everyone,
I took everyones advice and mashed it all into one! I wasnt eating enough. Also benching has never been a stong point (i used to struggle doing 10 push-ups). So i will hit the gym and start building my weight up once i recover. A weak ago i dropped a 45 LB plate from 4 feet up onto my big toe. It broke the bone right next to the joint. Finally have fill motion of it again.

Thanks again everyone,
Ben

good luck ben

thanks airborne

[quote]Neverhavemoney wrote:
Thanks a ton everyone,
I took everyones advice and mashed it all into one! I wasnt eating enough. Also benching has never been a stong point (i used to struggle doing 10 push-ups). So i will hit the gym and start building my weight up once i recover. A weak ago i dropped a 45 LB plate from 4 feet up onto my big toe. It broke the bone right next to the joint. Finally have fill motion of it again.

Thanks again everyone,
Ben[/quote]

Man, I did the EXACT same thing w/45 lbs. when I was a beginner, broke my big toe, lost the toenail. It’s funny because yesterday in firefighting class, the instructor asked us if we broke a bone and said whatever caused you to break it, you wouldn’t do again. Well here I am, still lifting hard nearly 8 years in. Keep it up, my chest has always been my weak point.