Shaker Left Unwashed for a Month

[quote]steno wrote:
Yeah, so, um… I just found a shaker I lost about a month ago and there was some protein shake left at the bottom. When I opened it, it smelled SO. INCREDIBLY. BAD.

I didn’t know that stuff could smell so bad. It seriously smelled like somebody farted sauerkraut.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m soaking it in a baking soda paste right now, and if that doesn’t work, I’m going to seal some newspaper in it overnight. But, man, I can’t get over how awful it smells.

And I don’t want to throw it out because it’s a really awesome shaker, but OMG that smell…[/quote]

Is this really a tough decision to make?

Damn.

funnel your drink into a water bottle. 20 disposable shakers, with pre-filled water, for 3 bucks.

Plus you can re-use em.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
steno wrote:
Yeah, so, um… I just found a shaker I lost about a month ago and there was some protein shake left at the bottom. When I opened it, it smelled SO. INCREDIBLY. BAD.

I didn’t know that stuff could smell so bad. It seriously smelled like somebody farted sauerkraut.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m soaking it in a baking soda paste right now, and if that doesn’t work, I’m going to seal some newspaper in it overnight. But, man, I can’t get over how awful it smells.

And I don’t want to throw it out because it’s a really awesome shaker, but OMG that smell…

Damn.[/quote]

Hell, he needed an entire thread for it.

I mean, clearly since an entire month has passed…he REALLY needed that shaker cup from all of the frequent protein shakes he drinks daily.

Last month must have been real bad for muscle gains, huh?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
imhungry wrote:
steno wrote:

And I don’t want to throw it out because it’s a really awesome shaker, but OMG that smell…

Damn.

I mean, clearly since an entire month has passed…he REALLY needed that shaker cup from all of the frequent protein shakes he drinks daily.

[/quote]

I hope he doesn’t have to make any real decisions where he works. He’s probably holding it, and still thinking about what the hell to do…

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
No, this has never happened to anyone else before. I mean, it certainly hasn’t been discussed here before…or recently either.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/protein_shaker_stink

Seriously, is it really that difficult to replace a shaker bottle?[/quote]

Oh sweetie, are you getting jaded in your old age?

I have three of the same shaker that I can’t find in stores to buy more so if one had some funk in one of them I would be in mourning.

Seriously, put the said shaker in the dishwasher like ten times. (^:

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
No, this has never happened to anyone else before. I mean, it certainly hasn’t been discussed here before…or recently either.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/protein_shaker_stink

Seriously, is it really that difficult to replace a shaker bottle?

Oh sweetie, are you getting jaded in your old age?

I have three of the same shaker that I can’t find in stores to buy more so if one had some funk in one of them I would be in mourning.

Seriously, put the said shaker in the dishwasher like ten times. (^:[/quote]

Or use bleach once and be done with it. Bleach destroys bacteria. Bacteria are why it smells. Bacteria can get lodged within micro-crevices in the plastic.

efferdent. if it works on bongs…

Or use bleach once and be done with it. Bleach destroys bacteria. Bacteria are why it smells.[/quote]

Hence why drinking bleach is effective at curing bad breath.

All that popped into my head was the shakers I use in the lab to grow E. Coli. I bet his shaker smells worse than any amount of E. Coli.

I had an old shaker with crusty protein in it once.

It was an old one that I had replaced a long time ago, so when I trapped two flies in it, I wasn’t really worried.

The next day, there are maggots crawling around in my shaker bottle. They last for a few days until finally they just die. Then I threw it away.

I miss those little guys.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:

It was an old one that I had replaced a long time ago, so when I trapped two flies in it, I wasn’t really worried.

The next day, there are maggots crawling around in my shaker bottle. They last for a few days until finally they just die. Then I threw it away.

I miss those little guys.[/quote]

Not the ending to the story I was expecting, but still funny.

imhungry wrote:
steno wrote:

Damn.

[/quote]

I really hope you are never asked to counsel high school kids. Teenage girls in particular; there’d be a spike in eating disorders.

OP,

Either buy a new one or use a teaspoon of bleach or some oxy clean with warm water. Let sit for 30 min, rinse about half a dozen times. Lazy ass…

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:

I miss those little guys.

Not the ending to the story I was expecting, but still funny.[/quote]

Yes, funny after I stopped gagging.

This thread is useless without pics.

DB

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:

I miss those little guys.[/quote]

You threw away a perfectly good source of protein?

Yeah, I gagged just a little when I wrote that.

1. grab a fistful of protein powder
  2. cram it in your face and drink milk straight from the gallon to wash it down.
  3. repeat as neccesary.

that or bleach, but I don’t even open lost shakers when I find them, they go straight to the trash.

HAHAHAHAHA
I’ve done that like 100 times out of laziness. They always go straight into the trash.

Sometimes there will be little green spots growing all over.

Someone should make a shaker out of glass. I’d use that at home. Less porous = Less bacteria?

Freshman year, in the dorms, my room mate fermented a gallon of water and protein powder for about a month. Then he dumped it all over the stairwell in our dorms. It was incredibly funny at the time seeing the reactions to the horrendous stench, but now I feel like a complete jerk.

Ending up taking three attempts at cleaning it to get all the smell gone.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA
I’ve done that like 100 times out of laziness. They always go straight into the trash.

Sometimes there will be little green spots growing all over.

Someone should make a shaker out of glass. I’d use that at home. Less porous = Less bacteria?[/quote]

Glass is too heavy, not as durable, and too expensive. That’s why they make them out of plastic.

YOU CHEAP MOTHER FUCKER!