T Nation

Shake Blending Problem

So this morning I tried to make this shake after reading about it on T-Nation:

3 cups Yogurt
4 scoops whey
2 cups uncooked oatmeal
a couple scoops of PB and slices of banana

So I add it all in, press Blend, and only the bottom started mixing and the entire top 3/5 or so did nothing and just sat there.

Do I just need a better blender?

i always blend my oats and whey together, until the oats are a powder. you could try blending them first, and then adding yogurt and then the rest. or just water it down with milk. lots and lots of milk.

Cookless Protein Bars:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup peanuts
3 cup protein powder
4 cup oatmeal
3 tbsp vanilla flavor
1-2 cup sweetner

stir
spread
dry
cut
eat
get huge

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:

3 cups Yogurt
4 scoops whey
2 cups uncooked oatmeal

So I add it all in, press Blend, and only the bottom started mixing and the entire top 3/5 or so did nothing and just sat there.

Do I just need a better blender?[/quote]

Holy. Shit. That’s a lot of crap to blend. And for the record, I’d never do something like that. That seems like an incredibly huge amount of calories.

If by [quote]incredibly huge amount of calories[/quote] you mean [quote]NOT ENOUGH CALORIES!![/quote]

Just kidding. It probably runs a little over 1200 kcal. I have no idea how much is in the yogurt, as I haven’t eaten it in ten years. It’s good to see a newbie with a diet erring on the side of awesome.

To the OP: One trick is to open the lid of the blender and judiciously push the contents down into the event horizon of the suction with a spoon, or the banana. If you use the spoon, try not to get it caught in the blades. It won’t ruin them, but it will decrease it’s useful life a lil bit. Also, do not use your fingers and/or other appendages. That’s just dumb.

Another trick is just to mix it all up with a spoon in the yogurt. It’s not like there’s anything liquid in that ‘shake’.

Protip: Replace ‘Yogurt’ with full-fat milk. Blend in peace towards the Sunrise of Eternity.

[quote]Otep wrote:
If by incredibly huge amount of calories you mean NOT ENOUGH CALORIES!!

Just kidding. It probably runs a little over 1200 kcal. I have no idea how much is in the yogurt, as I haven’t eaten it in ten years. It’s good to see a newbie with a diet erring on the side of awesome.
[/quote]

Heh. Numbers are from caloriecount.about.com

3 cups full fat plan (?) yogurt: 450 calories, 24 grams of protein, 33 grams carbs, 24 grams fat
4 scoops whey: 400 calories, 100 grams of protein
2 cups oatmeal: 600 calories, 20 grams of protein, 81 grams carbs, 9 grams fat
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter: 200 calories, 7 grams of protein, 18 grams of carbs, 51 grams of fat
1 “medium” banana: 100 calories, 1 gram of protein, 27 grams of carbs

Totals:
1750 calories, 152g protein, 159g carbs, 111g fat

Just for boredom, let’s compare to a junky fast food meal I recently had (wendy’s):
2 Doublestacks: 720 calories, 46g protein, 52g carbs, 36g fat
2 5pc chicken nuggets: 470 calories, 23g protein, 21g carbs, 32g fat
2 scoops whey: 200 calories, 50g protein

Totals:
1390 calories, 119g protein, 73g carbs, 68g fat

If I had in 2 more scoops of whey, that leaves me with 1590 calories, 169g of protein, 73g carbs, 68g fat.

I’d rather have the wendy’s & giant whey shake. :wink:

I just want to say one thing: I am not suggesting any one eat Wendy’s, despite it being particularly delicious. :wink:

I don’t understand…is there something wrong with wanting to get 2,000 calories in before leaving the house?

[quote]Novitennis88 wrote:

3 cups Yogurt
4 scoops whey
2 cups uncooked oatmeal

Do I just need a better blender?[/quote]
What’s wrong with adding a bit of milk to loosen it up?

I hope that shake isn’t sitting in your blender while you wait for the right answer, lol.

Yeah, add some milk or water or OJ. Whatever liquid you want - if you’re literally trying to blend dry oats and PB, of course it’s not going to blend up nice and smooth.

My blender was real old and gross so today I bought a newer better one and I mix the yogurt and whey first, then add and mix the oatmeal PB and banana and it works good.

I am trying to eat around 4-5,000 calories a day and have a full day of classes so I love getting 1500 calories before I even leave the house!

No liquids?? That’s a paste, not a shake. Do you have to dig it out with a trowel?

I have a blendtec that will blend anything I give it, but I once used a sunbeam blender from wallmart and the damn thing caught fire and burned down my tool shed.

[quote]101airborne wrote:
I have a blendtec that will blend anything I give it, but I once used a sunbeam blender from wallmart and the damn thing caught fire and burned down my tool shed. [/quote]

HAHA!