T Nation

Shafted at Work

So the place I work is trying to cut 60mil and to do this they are cutting the manual labourers work and pay , the cleaners, cooks, builders etc

Now this is shit when you consider most of us take home next to nothing, but when you find out a woman whose sole job is to stamp forms and send them to another part of the works is getting a pay rise and is on double what you are it really makes you think, wow, what a lucky cunt.

Fuck the useless managers getting pay rises when they don’t actually do anything but come and check up on us every now and then, I am sensing big strikes, this shit sucks

Anyway yeah just wanted to put that somewhere as boss fucking added me on facebook and needed to vent somewhere ha


Working for someone fucking sucks, and should only be a temporary endeavour until you branch out on your own, sooner rather than later. That’s my take on it anyway.

shit jus got real

higher education pays off

Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.

That’s his fault.

If you need that much help paying for start start at a community college then shop around…for state schools.

Shit is expensive but it doesn’t have to ruin your life with suicidal debt

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
That’s his fault.

If you need that much help paying for start start at a community college then shop around…for state schools.

Shit is expensive but it doesn’t have to ruin your life with suicidal debt

[/quote]
They are from across the pond Rock, little different there my friend.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
That’s his fault.

If you need that much help paying for start start at a community college then shop around…for state schools.

Shit is expensive but it doesn’t have to ruin your life with suicidal debt

[/quote]
They are from across the pond Rock, little different there my friend.[/quote]

Oh well fuck em

This Is America

Although Dublin is nice

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.[/quote]

I agree with OP on this. I live in Houston (the #1 economy in the country) and I know several recent to semi-recent graduates who’ve had to settle for mediocre jobs with mediocre pay. Hell, one of my best buddies graduated nursing school in May and just finally got a job at MD Anderson, andthe only reason he got that is his step dad is VICE PRESIDENT there. It’s a screwy world out there, and I belive we’re circling back to the time where a trade degree is infinitely more valuable than graduating from a traditional school.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.[/quote]

I agree with OP on this. I live in Houston (the #1 economy in the country) and I know several recent to semi-recent graduates who’ve had to settle for mediocre jobs with mediocre pay. Hell, one of my best buddies graduated nursing school in May and just finally got a job at MD Anderson, andthe only reason he got that is his step dad is VICE PRESIDENT there. It’s a screwy world out there, and I belive we’re circling back to the time where a trade degree is infinitely more valuable than graduating from a traditional school.[/quote]

And you are saying they’d be better off without having gone to school?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.[/quote]

I agree with OP on this. I live in Houston (the #1 economy in the country) and I know several recent to semi-recent graduates who’ve had to settle for mediocre jobs with mediocre pay. Hell, one of my best buddies graduated nursing school in May and just finally got a job at MD Anderson, and the only reason he got that is his step dad is VICE PRESIDENT there. It’s a screwy world out there, and I believe we’re circling back to the time where a trade degree is infinitely more valuable than graduating from a traditional school.[/quote]

Interesting. Being in the medical field we are far from being saturated with Nursing, I know we are not at the shortage we were back in the early to mid 2000’s. However I find it hard to believe he took that long. WF there may be other issues in regards to why it took that long.

I find that new grads (I interviewed at least 10 new grad Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistance in the last 2 weeks alone) what to be paid higher wages than normal start out and they are wanting their student loans paid off. WTF since when did this shit start?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.[/quote]

I agree with OP on this. I live in Houston (the #1 economy in the country) and I know several recent to semi-recent graduates who’ve had to settle for mediocre jobs with mediocre pay. Hell, one of my best buddies graduated nursing school in May and just finally got a job at MD Anderson, andthe only reason he got that is his step dad is VICE PRESIDENT there. It’s a screwy world out there, and I belive we’re circling back to the time where a trade degree is infinitely more valuable than graduating from a traditional school.[/quote]

I understand the sentiment. Everybody seems to know someone (or be someone) who went to college and then settled for a mediocre job or hasn’t found a job at all.

But the evidence is still overwhelmingly in the corner of higher education. A BA is estimated to be worth around a million in lifetime pay. That’s on average. Go to a top-tier school and you’re looking at 2-3 million. Even in the recession, college degrees have been extremely useful to those who hold them: a study came out in April through Georgetown which showed that college degree-holders were much more likely to have help on to their job during the recession and even likelier to have gotten a new job during the recovery.

^ not necessarily, but schools while purpose is as a vessel to take you to your career. As it stands, going to school is proving a waste of time in that regard. Let’s also not ignore the absolutely ridiculous and time wasting pre-reqs like college algebra and everything after. If you’re not a mathematician or physicist, it’s a complete waste of time as you’ll NEVER use that shit in your life. Trade schools skip all that and teach you directly what you need to get a job in your chosen field. Plumbers, electricians, a/c repairmen, etc… All make a good to great living (depending on your definition) and didn’t need to “learn” any of the nonsense you’re forced to sit through at your local college.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
^ not necessarily, but schools while purpose is as a vessel to take you to your career. As it stands, going to school is proving a waste of time in that regard. Let’s also not ignore the absolutely ridiculous and time wasting pre-reqs like college algebra and everything after. If you’re not a mathematician or physicist, it’s a complete waste of time as you’ll NEVER use that shit in your life. Trade schools skip all that and teach you directly what you need to get a job in your chosen field. Plumbers, electricians, a/c repairmen, etc… All make a good to great living (depending on your definition) and didn’t need to “learn” any of the nonsense you’re forced to sit through at your local college.[/quote]
Valid points, however there is value in a broad base education, because you are not only an “electrician” or “engineer” you are a consumer, voter, husband, father, church leader etc.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Not in this economy, my cousin went to Cambridge and has had to take a job as a bank manager on 18k a year, and he is in debt to fuark.[/quote]

what did he get his degree in? Plus, not knowing him, he still could be better off that not having education.[/quote]

I agree with OP on this. I live in Houston (the #1 economy in the country) and I know several recent to semi-recent graduates who’ve had to settle for mediocre jobs with mediocre pay. Hell, one of my best buddies graduated nursing school in May and just finally got a job at MD Anderson, and the only reason he got that is his step dad is VICE PRESIDENT there. It’s a screwy world out there, and I believe we’re circling back to the time where a trade degree is infinitely more valuable than graduating from a traditional school.[/quote]

Interesting. Being in the medical field we are far from being saturated with Nursing, I know we are not at the shortage we were back in the early to mid 2000’s. However I find it hard to believe he took that long. WF there may be other issues in regards to why it took that long.

I find that new grads (I interviewed at least 10 new grad Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistance in the last 2 weeks alone) what to be paid higher wages than normal start out and they are wanting their student loans paid off. WTF since when did this shit start? [/quote]

That’s the thing. Damn near every hospital says they’re hiring but few are getting hired. My buddy wanted to do everything on his own and not use his dads name, but after 2+ months with a wife and new baby he had to do something. I agree that maybe something else was at play, but I’m only getting his side of the story so who knows.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
^ not necessarily, but schools while purpose is as a vessel to take you to your career. As it stands, going to school is proving a waste of time in that regard. Let’s also not ignore the absolutely ridiculous and time wasting pre-reqs like college algebra and everything after. If you’re not a mathematician or physicist, it’s a complete waste of time as you’ll NEVER use that shit in your life. Trade schools skip all that and teach you directly what you need to get a job in your chosen field. Plumbers, electricians, a/c repairmen, etc… All make a good to great living (depending on your definition) and didn’t need to “learn” any of the nonsense you’re forced to sit through at your local college.[/quote]
Valid points, however there is value in a broad base education, because you are not only an “electrician” or “engineer” you are a consumer, voter, husband, father, church leader etc. [/quote]

I see your point, but I think the average person could learn most of those fundamental life elements through leg work and self preservation. However, that’s assuming the average person has a modicum of common sense, and as Mark Twain said “common sense ain’t that common”.