Shadowboxing

I’ve heard all different opinions on how to hold your fists when you do this… some hold them open, some closed, some clenched, some loosely clenched… how do you do it?

The guy I learned to box from typically had his hands open and made slight, sudden movements simluating the punches. I tend to do the actual punch and range of movement just a little more thoroughly- moving my fist more than four or five inches, working through the whole range. Sometimes I tighten it up, but mostly I do it like that.

How do you work it?

Loose fists for me, keeping my body as loose as possible & getting full range of movement.

I just follow what I’ve seen in video clips of professional boxers, which unfortunately has included all types of shadow boxing. Normally though if I have a mirror I use the full range of motion so that I can work on my form and footwork. This way I can watch myself make the proper movement, and get that mind muscle connection going. If I don’t have a mirror and i’m more working through what I would do in a situation then I mostly throw short and loose, and in either case always with an open hand.

I go with full ROM in my hands and feet. I dont throw my strikes anywhere near full force so that I can focus on putting together combos and flowing with footwork. As far as my hands, I keep them open till the point of impact. At that point I clinch up just as if I had my gloves on. Sometimes I shadow box with gloves, sometimes I don’t. I prefer to keep my gloves and my gel wraps on for the weight.

I’m probably not the best person to ask, but I have been shadowboxing in front of mirrors and double end bags for some months now on the advice of the forum her. I usually go for full ROM, with fists clenching on “impact” of the strike. I really do not want to pick up the habit of throwing loose fisted punches in a self defence situation.

I also go for full ROM and snap when throwing straight punches, but not full “power” per se. Interestingly, practicing this snap has made my jab 10X better than throwing it with what I thought was power.

all of the above.

My coach taught full range of motion, and closed fists. So that’s what I do.

I tried shadow boxing with short movements like the “pros” i see on youtube doing it, but my coach told me to get full range of motion until im experienced enough to find my own style and rhythym. basically i do everything his way until im good enough to do things my way

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
I really do not want to pick up the habit of throwing loose fisted punches in a self defence situation.
[/quote]

That’s kind of the reason I ask. I generally keep my hands loose, but I’ve begun to tighten them up because, as you said, I don’t want to go to throw a punch without gloves and shatter my hand.

Although I’m thinking as long as I keep up doing some barehanded bag work now and again it keeps me honest, so to speak.

I dont know about that…in the street my jab=eye gouge. The last thing wanna I’d do in the streets is stand and trade. I’m more of a strike and evade kinda guy in the streets. But that’s just me.

hands somewhat loose, not a complete fist… i dont shadowbox fast, but rather slow and relaxed and flowing. I make sure my head is always ALWAYS moving and that I am moving after every combination, mixing defense in with offense. I do this slow to be precise with technique and leverage… experience fighters know when you can just feel the power in a technique you throw in the air even slowly due to proper mechanics. Mirrors are a big help. I also do situational stuff such as pretending to be a jab-cross tall guy type fighter, and then where I am a tyson-esque, has to get inside fighter. Visualize while you are doing this… dont just go through the motions.

It is my favorite type of boxing training because of the depth to it, its not uncommon for me to shadowbox for an hour or so per sessoin and it is really the key to getting good.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
hands somewhat loose, not a complete fist… i dont shadowbox fast, but rather slow and relaxed and flowing. I make sure my head is always ALWAYS moving and that I am moving after every combination, mixing defense in with offense. I do this slow to be precise with technique and leverage… experience fighters know when you can just feel the power in a technique you throw in the air even slowly due to proper mechanics. Mirrors are a big help. I also do situational stuff such as pretending to be a jab-cross tall guy type fighter, and then where I am a tyson-esque, has to get inside fighter. Visualize while you are doing this… dont just go through the motions.

It is my favorite type of boxing training because of the depth to it, its not uncommon for me to shadowbox for an hour or so per sessoin and it is really the key to getting good.[/quote]

x2, I used to get SO excited earlier on, when I was starting out, and want to throw nuthin but fire, so I would commonly get a little sloppy, but TECHNIQUE in shadowboxing is so VITAL for SUCCESS, a successful FUTURE

I like to shadow box full speed. When I trained at ATT/Seminole Warriors (about 3 years ago), most everyone did lighter shadow boxing, short movements. I never liked it, I just did my own thing. Shadow boxing fast really helped me with my speed. One thing it also did, was prevent injuries/fatigue in the ring, because missing hard shots can actually fuck you up. I’ve seen a few people throw their shoulder out and a few others hurt their rotators/shoulders. Shadow boxing fast really conditions you to be able to “miss”, which should also make you faster.

I dno, my fists are mostly “somewhat tight”, not completely tight. Sometimes I loosen them up though, but I try not to.

I don’t really pivot much because I’ll lose my shadow, which is funny, but in a gym with mirrors I’d be pivoting alot. I notice most boxer’s love to look at themselves when shadow boxing, even if they are doing very short non-technical punching, it must be the narcissism :slight_smile:

On a bag though, I don’t need to see myself at all, the bag keeps my attention. Of course that’s the same in a ring, which i need to get back into.

peace