Shadow Boxing, Good or Bad?

Loaded question, I know. Focus mitts would be my first choice, but I train alone, so it’s shadow boxing or a heavy bag.

The goal is to add some non-boring cardio without screwing up my shoulders (or anything else) in the process.

I used to box, but it’s been awhile. What’s the latest thinking on this?

I would really think that unless hitting the heavy bag hurts your shoulders, then why not do that? With your boxing background, I would think alternating heavy bag work with jump rope could be good. Or, if you have a dumbell lying around, alternating the heavy bag with some one arm DB snatches/cleans/swings could be a nice mix up as well.

I have no formal boxing experience, but I cannot imagine just doing shadow boxing. I like the idea of actually hitting something.

I actually prefer shadowboxing sometimes. If you are able to actually visualize your opponent (and make him a “Perfect” fighter…always blocking your strikes and finding your weaknesses) you become a much better fighter. At least I did.

As for your shoulders, I’d think that perhaps only striking at 50% power (at most 70%) should help with any potential problems.

But this is just a guess, to be fair.

Shadowboxing is great for cardio. Have you heard of Bas Rutten’s MMA Workout?

My instructor recommends that I shadow box in front of a mirror and focus on technique.

I workout at home and use both off and on…some days it will be strictly heavy bag training and others shadow boxing and then others will combine the two. Whatever you want to do will be fine.

Good for improving your boxing skills.

Bad during a job interview.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I’ll probably alternate shadow work with heavybag.

There’s always been talk about deceleration injuries when striking air as opposed to striking an object, but I guess everything has potential for injury.

Not going full force or to full lockout is good advice. I will add that I think “punching with dumbbells” is also an unnecessary risk. Punching with bands might be cool though.

Actually, those Bas Rutten tapes are what I was planning to use. That guy’s a character.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Shadowboxing is great for cardio. Have you heard of Bas Rutten’s MMA Workout?[/quote]

Amen, some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

Just use some common sense. If the shadow boxing is hurting your joints, stop. If not, got for it.

Shadow boxing is just that, shadow boxing. You should work on technique and coordinating your feet with your hand movement.

[quote]Soco wrote:
Good for improving your boxing skills.

Bad during a job interview.[/quote]

Heh, I can just imagine someone doing that.

“What are your strengths?”
Well I got one hell of a left hook! Wham! Pow!

[quote]monkeyarms wrote:

Not going full force or to full lockout is good advice. I will add that I think “punching with dumbbells” is also an unnecessary risk. Punching with bands might be cool though.
[/quote]

About punching with DB’s. You are right on. Not only a bad risk, but emphasizes incorrect form and distribution of force.

Bands may be interesting, but I’d suggest not doing it. I can’t see a band being too helpful on crosses or hooks…and even uppercuts.

Jabs though, they would probabally work very well.

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
monkeyarms wrote:

About punching with DB’s. You are right on. Not only a bad risk, but emphasizes incorrect form and distribution of force.

Bands may be interesting, but I’d suggest not doing it. I can’t see a band being too helpful on crosses or hooks…and even uppercuts.

Jabs though, they would probabally work very well.

[/quote]

If you want something for the crosses and hooks and its available, throwing punches under water is a hell of a workout, Marciano did it all the time

Just a thought

not good or bad, just stupid.

I’m sorry, but with the title of the thread, all I can think of is this:

[center]Shadow boxing when I heard you on the radio
I just don’t know
What made you forget that I was raw
But now I got a new tour
I’m goin insane, startin a hurricane, releasin pain
I’m lettin you know that you can’t gain or maintain
Unless you say my name
Rippin’, killin’, diggin’ and drillin’ a hole
Pass the Ol’ Gold
[/center]

[quote]carter12 wrote:
My instructor recommends that I shadow box in front of a mirror and focus on technique.[/quote]

Yea, this is how I’ve been taught to shadow box. Otherwise just use the heavy bag.

theres nothing wrong about working on focus mits, shadow boxing and heavy bags. but when training with those tools move around and imagine that your facing an opponent. bad habits mistakes will occur and you might not even notice. so when shadow boxing train against a mirror and take in how your whole body is moving and check any flaws and imagine your going against a guy. focus mits: when you have a partner holding the mits and lets say you want to work more on your jab. do some light sparring in which both of you guys are particpating in the game: acting offensive and defensive. and let him throw up the mit for you to hit the jab at random times so you can get used to broken rythm. heavy bag; about the same as shadowboxing emulate that your fighting and bob weave, slip, duck and clinch up and then punch out.

but really its best to have a partner with you or a coach to see any flaws and sparring is the best way to develop skill because your going against a live opponent. check out this link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2068450760833041053&q=matt+thornton

matt thornton is great thinker in MMA and check out his other videos in google it will provide some interesting insight.

did i go into too much detail and explaination. well good luck in your training